Gransnet forums

AIBU

PM recieved

(103 Posts)
felice Wed 10-Aug-16 10:59:41

I recieved a PM from someone here on Friday morning which has made me very angry.
I had posted on the Ryanair site, giving my experiences of travelling with them as a disabled person.
I have posted on the subject before saying the same things.
The PM I recieved asked if I was really disabled or did I just make up a story so I could post on GN.
To all intents and purposes acussing me of lying.
It was not a nickname I recognised as most regular posters will know of my disabilites.
I am a bit angry and at the time thought of sending the PM to my lawyer.
I want to forget it but it has upset me.

Katek Fri 12-Aug-16 09:56:39

Wick is north for me and Aberdeen is south!

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 09:52:07

I deleted it from my inbox and my brain!
but if ever there is a next time (I hope not), thank you JessM I will try that.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 22:10:27

Not that I contact them very often. It's usually just replies.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 22:00:11

I always get an answer when I contact them.

I think Cari reads all the threads at bedtime. In her pj's.

You there Cari?

JessM Thu 11-Aug-16 21:24:45

Maybe they just haven't checked their inbox. Press the report button on your own post (the most recent) and ask them to have a look at your email in the morning.

Jalima Thu 11-Aug-16 20:29:51

Thank you JessM
However, I did try that and I don't think it worked.

obieone Thu 11-Aug-16 20:11:08

grin

So it is Maggiemaybe. Thanks. A bit hidden if you ask me. Cant say I noticed "Gransnet in the news" before, either blush

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Aug-16 20:04:43

That V was supposed to be an arrow, btw!

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Aug-16 20:04:15

Down there \/, obieone, under site shortcuts.

To get back to the North/South divide. When I lived up Durham way I thought Yorkshire was The South. Now I live in Yorkshire I know better.

obieone Thu 11-Aug-16 19:59:08

Where is the "contact us" button? confused

JessM Thu 11-Aug-16 19:18:57

There is a "contact us" button that lets you email them. Copy and paste into the email.

grannylyn65 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:16:10

What's wrong with Midlanders angry

obieone Thu 11-Aug-16 18:40:39

I always assume that GNHQ staff do not read PMs unless there is a need.
Maybe that is me being naive, but I always assume they have much better things to do.

Jalima - I would have thought a simple email to GNHQ is what is needed.

JessM - I agree

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 18:33:42

Surely not?! shock

Ana Thu 11-Aug-16 18:28:14

I agree, Jess, but surely GNHQ can't read all our PMs? Not muh point calling them 'private' if any member of staff can have a look...hmm

Jalima Thu 11-Aug-16 18:27:27

You're right JessM
how to go about it, though - GN?.
It is easy to report a trolling post, but there is no facility on a message. Copy it and email it to GN? The one I received was very odd, but not nasty. After an attempt to report it I just deleted it.

JessM Thu 11-Aug-16 18:24:36

We should not be too trusting on an open forum like this and just assume that other members are nice, normal grandparent-y types. There is nothing to stop an angry but brilliant teenager from Carolina or Capetown joining GN, pretending to be a grandparent and stirring up trouble.
The problem with trolling via PM is that it is a kind of bullying that tends to make the recipient feel bad - and isolated. Someone could send horrid PMs to dozens of members. If you don't let the site moderators know immediately of any and all incidents, how are they supposed to identify these people and block them? GN staff certainly don't have time to sit round reading all the PMs! (or threads). So please don't take nasty PMs personally, just report them.

morethan2 Thu 11-Aug-16 18:13:52

Yes Jamima your right about southport. When we see any film with a desert we all shout "oh must have been filmed in southport" but it is very lovely.

Jalima Thu 11-Aug-16 18:09:21

Stansgran Below Yorkshire and Lancashire is soft southern underbelly.
try telling that to a Brummie shock
or a Jolly Potter

DH likes his sat nav to point up the screen which is very confusing (for me anyway) if we are going south but the arrow is pointing what looks like north.
Then he blames me if we go the wrong way.

Stansgran Thu 11-Aug-16 18:06:19

Yorkshire and Lancashire are north. Anything above is hard north. Below Yorkshire and Lancashire is soft southern underbelly. Sorry but that's just the way it is.grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 18:04:03

Or left if you're going southwards.

Jalima Thu 11-Aug-16 18:03:26

It is, but it is still classed as East Midlands (apparently)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 18:02:16

No Lincolnshire is just off to the right. I think.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 18:01:17

I think of Birmingham as the Midlands. Perhaps I am just south.

Jalima Thu 11-Aug-16 17:57:46

I didn't know York was in Lincolnshire I was born in York. Don't think of myself as a Northerner
My geography must be worse than I thought grin
or has it slipped a bit?

Lincolnshire is East Midlands