Gransnet forums

AIBU

Medalling!

(69 Posts)
hildajenniJ Thu 11-Aug-16 18:48:57

I hope I am not being unreasonable, but it makes me cringe every time I hear a presenter or commentator tell TV viewers that an athlete or sportsperson have medaled or are medalling. In my opinion you cannot medal, you can win a medal however. I know that language evolves, but isn't this a step too far?

MrsJamJam Thu 11-Aug-16 18:53:01

Completely agree!

grannylyn65 Thu 11-Aug-16 18:55:55

No meddling now grin

ninathenana Thu 11-Aug-16 19:04:22

I hadn't noticed hilda but I will now smile

phoenix Thu 11-Aug-16 19:07:52

Agree!

rosesarered Thu 11-Aug-16 19:09:56

Soon, children will come home from school saying 'I gold starred today!'

rosesarered Thu 11-Aug-16 19:10:37

( only forgivable if they are 5 year olds)

LullyDully Thu 11-Aug-16 19:44:02

I dislike nouns used as verbs, lazy thinking.

gettingonabit Thu 11-Aug-16 19:48:29

I hate it too. I always,notice it. It's like "birthing". Hate that too.

Elrel Thu 11-Aug-16 20:33:46

I've never liked 'party' or 'guest' as verbs when they crossed the Atlantic. Now 'medal' and even 'podium' have crept in too, Noooooo!

merlotgran Thu 11-Aug-16 20:37:41

Annoys us as well.

Christinefrance Thu 11-Aug-16 20:41:38

And what about ' deplaning '

Lisalou Thu 11-Aug-16 21:00:47

It goes on and on, but then I have to say it is not only the younger generations that do it. I went to The Globe at the beginning of the summer and we were having a snack in the restaurant before the play and we got chatting to an elderly gentleman who asked us if we were only passing by, or theatering. At the time, and being an English teacher, i mused on how adaptable English can be!
Quite honestly, I found it rather fun at the time, and in context, it worked. I cannot think of a word in English that would convey what he was asking as succintly.
Creating words such as medalling - easily to be confused with meddling (freudian slip there) which are entirely unnecessary, comes under a different heading in my book.

Deedaa Thu 11-Aug-16 22:14:40

Reading your post Lisalou made me realise that my family and I often come up with words like theatering - but in a light hearted joke between us. Medalling drives me particularly mad. Again you might use it as a joke with a friend, but not as as part of a public commentary instead of winning or being awarded.

Lisalou Fri 12-Aug-16 07:02:16

Deeda, I agree with your point about it being light hearted, and language should and does evolve to incorporate language which is needed to define a situation. My example was certainly used in a light tone, and as I say, I thought it was rather fun.
I also think that creating unnecessary words, which do not improve on the already existing language, such as being awarded a medal, are just lazy.

Lisalou Fri 12-Aug-16 07:03:53

Sorry, more to say....also I wonder out of context, what is exactly meant by medalling...is it being in a position where likely to receive a medal? Collecting vast amounts of them? Silly word with no clear meaning

hildajenniJ Fri 12-Aug-16 08:25:51

I heard it used to suggest that the participant was in a medal position, but that others were still to compete. For example, "X has a very good chance of medalling". It really grated on me!

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-16 08:37:56

I too find over used things like that grate on me no end At the moment my pet hate is to start every sentence with SO
" how did you go about raising the money" ... " So..........
" Did you win a medal today" ... "So .....

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 09:22:27

bluebelle I dislike so.....too. Especially when at the end of s sentence, where it kind of trails off into the distance.

Another one that winds me up is Team GB. Sounds like some whizzy brand. What's wrong with The British Team. ?

Gaggi3 Fri 12-Aug-16 10:13:14

Reminds me, in a convoluted way, of the old joke. "Do you like Kipling?" " I don't know, I've never kippled."

OnlyAMan Fri 12-Aug-16 10:54:38

Would a cyclist be medalling in the pedalling?!

1inamillion Fri 12-Aug-16 11:21:37

Agree with all that's been said. I really hate " can I get" too, first heard it on Countdown but the contestant was Canadian and is common parlance there. However I hear it everywhere now even in the local bakery in my sleepy Welsh seaside town - " can I get a bacon roll please" at least I think they said please ?

HootyMcOwlface Fri 12-Aug-16 12:02:04

Watching the diving the other evening and the commentator kept saying "he's in the mix" - absolute nonsense and really drove me bonkers!

HootyMcOwlface Fri 12-Aug-16 12:10:23

BlueBelle I work with someone who ends nearly every single sentence with. " blah blah blah. So ..." And I feel like saying "So, what?!" Another thing I dislike is people ending a sentence with(e.g.) "Do you want blah blah blah. Or ..." Grrr I can feel my hackles rising just writing it! Or, what?! Ha ha!

missdeke Fri 12-Aug-16 12:18:16

I actually turned the olympics of because the presenter kept saying 'medalling' and it was driving me crazy, did the same at the last Winter Olympics because of the presenters commentary on the snowboarding. Yes I know I could have just turned the sound down but i am not that clever when it comes to all the rules etc and need to know what's going on.