Gransnet forums

AIBU

How often do you check your phone?

(66 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 02-Sep-16 18:40:54

For text messages or emails? I seem to expect most people to check at regular intervals during the day. Isn't that about the norm?
I ask because the normal phone is impossible for me due to my profound deafness. So I rely on text or email and my friends and family all understand this.
Except for one friend and we get on great but she only looks at her messages about once a week!! So I might text or email, say, on Saturday, asking if she'd like to meet for coffee on Friday (plenty of notice, yes?)
Then I get no reply at all. Friday comes and I finally get a text saying See you in Costa in half an hour!!
So I drop everything, scramble to get ready and then she is 20 minutes late. I have to hide my exasperation because I really like her except for this which is typical. I asked her today if she preferred text or email and apparently she doesn't really like either and her laptop is upstairs In the spare room. Grrrrrrr
Maybe I should get a carrier pigeon? Or write a letter? How last century is that??,!

Speldnan Fri 30-Sep-16 17:23:37

About every 5 minutes! Have been totally addicted since the first IPhone I got about 5 years ago! Emails, texts, Facebook, Twitter, news, word games- you name it I look at it! Only time I don't is if I'm minding my GC. My new 5 month old baby GD wriggles so much she's a handful without looking at the phone! I realise this is a bit OTT! I do get annoyed when people I send texts to or try to ring never seem to look at theirs! Just can't understand it I suppose! wink

Greyduster Fri 30-Sep-16 13:32:50

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was about to be dragged off reluctantly to get an iPhone. I now have the said phone and have hardly had it out of my hand! I have fallen into the abyss. GS asked me if I was downloading Pokemon. Now that I can resist.

BBbevan Fri 30-Sep-16 13:22:55

I do have a phone. It is not lost but as I never use it I don't know where it is blush

goose1964 Fri 30-Sep-16 12:51:15

I only have a feature phone so never check for emails, kids keep in touch via messenger/Facebook so I check my phone about once a week

overthehill Fri 09-Sep-16 23:09:48

All the time whilst at home but not if out. My phone is permanently on and even DH has bought a smart phone after years of having other peoples left offs.

I might watch TV and some actor comes on and I'll look them up to see what they are up to.

I check the BBC news and also the weather. Check items we might sell on eBay to see how they are doing.

NanaMacGeek Fri 09-Sep-16 22:59:25

For those interested and who have a poor mobile phone signal in their home but are connected to broadband using wifi, most of the mobile operators are starting to offer 'WiFi calling' if you have a suitable handset. It is very simple to set up, it's not an app but built in to the phone operating system, you just enable it. It means you can use your mobile to make and receive calls as normal, even though you have no phone signal. If you go out of range of your WiFi router though, the call will drop. Also mobile phone operators offer translation services for the deaf, translating spoken word to text messages - a bit clunky but nevertheless useful.

mrsmopp Sun 04-Sep-16 18:26:36

Stillaliveandkicking,
I can't do that, see the OP, I am deaf, cannot hear on the phone.
Texts and emails a godsend for me, if only my friend would check a bit more than once a week :-(

stillaliveandkicking Sun 04-Sep-16 16:52:15

I call my friends, far easier smile If I text and they don't answer then I call them again and give them abuse smile))

But we are talking real friends here not peripheral.

mrsmopp Sat 03-Sep-16 23:35:38

Vissos, great idea, thanks, will try that, it seems like the answer. Hope she keeps her phone switched on, some people don't, unbelievably.

jacig Sat 03-Sep-16 22:46:13

I keep my phone on me at all times, I have a condition were I fall a lot, so phone is a must to get help when I need it.

vissos Sat 03-Sep-16 22:12:18

@mrsmopp If your phone doesn't have delivered/read reports, text your friend, then ring her, let it ring a few times & hang up. That way she'll look at her phone & see your message. Sorry if this has already been suggested, haven't read through to the end smile

TriciaF Sat 03-Sep-16 21:48:28

We have a mobile phone, just one between the 2 of us, but only use it for emergencies.
I think it can be used for texting but I've got no idea how to do that.

Grandmama Sat 03-Sep-16 18:59:13

Like Emilie, I don't have a mobile phone - are we the only two mobile-less grans? I have a land line, it beeps if there's a message so I only check it then. There's a message at the bottom of my emails to say that I'm online only in the early evening, from about 6pm-8pm, so that's the only time I pick up emails.

Badenkate Sat 03-Sep-16 18:09:09

grin Mrsmopp

mrsmopp Sat 03-Sep-16 18:02:16

Badenkate ?
I'm just phoning to let you know a text has been sent reminding you to check your emails but don't worry, we'll be sending out letters confirming everything anyway....

Sandy638865 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:21:13

I have my mobile in pocket at all times as have an app to record my steps and it keeps me fit. Also like to answer texts and emails promptly. I have to have wifi when on holiday or I feel lost. Nearly as bad as the youngsters!!

emilie Sat 03-Sep-16 15:37:31

I only have a landline,check it about once a week

M0nica Sat 03-Sep-16 15:24:11

My mobile lives in my car because mobile reception is so poor in my village. We live in the much vaunted technological hot spot called The Science Vale and however well businesses do, the local villages struggle with rubbish mobile reception and 'fast' broadband yet to break 1 Mb

VIOLETTE Sat 03-Sep-16 14:51:32

Ha Ha ! a timely post ! just opened up GN and saw this ...and realised my phone battery had run out ....so thanks for that ! It is now charging ! by the way, I always forget about it completely !

Diddy1 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:48:17

Totally agree with Shizam

Sheilasue Sat 03-Sep-16 13:55:56

Phone is either on the table next to my chair or in my bag when I go out and of a night on my bedside cabinet.

Shizam Sat 03-Sep-16 13:28:58

I rather resent the assumption by some people that I should immediately respond to calls/texts that they make to me. I don't HAVE to jump to attention just because I have a phone.

ClaraB Sat 03-Sep-16 13:08:21

Far too often, I am always on it!

moobox Sat 03-Sep-16 12:55:36

every few minutes at the moment as yet another pic of my new grandson comes through on iMessage! Nice though.

Diddy1 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:53:28

My children ask why I have a phone, as I never answer,I check it when I turn it on in the morning, or when I hear the recieved message sound, I dont want to be constantly available. On the other hand, when I am at home I love to check e mails, FB, and of course GN, my favourite.
Read in Womans Weekly before starting on GN, that this kind of thing is good to keep ones mind alert,and I think it is true, I love it.