Gransnet forums

AIBU

How often do you check your phone?

(65 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 02-Sep-16 18:40:54

For text messages or emails? I seem to expect most people to check at regular intervals during the day. Isn't that about the norm?
I ask because the normal phone is impossible for me due to my profound deafness. So I rely on text or email and my friends and family all understand this.
Except for one friend and we get on great but she only looks at her messages about once a week!! So I might text or email, say, on Saturday, asking if she'd like to meet for coffee on Friday (plenty of notice, yes?)
Then I get no reply at all. Friday comes and I finally get a text saying See you in Costa in half an hour!!
So I drop everything, scramble to get ready and then she is 20 minutes late. I have to hide my exasperation because I really like her except for this which is typical. I asked her today if she preferred text or email and apparently she doesn't really like either and her laptop is upstairs In the spare room. Grrrrrrr
Maybe I should get a carrier pigeon? Or write a letter? How last century is that??,!

Ana Fri 02-Sep-16 18:47:35

I must admit I quite often miss texts if my phone is in my bag - I never think to check until the evening!

Might it be an idea to mention to your friend that you have to rely on texting due to your deafness (as she must know) and say that it's frustrating that you never know whether she's received your text or not?

tanith Fri 02-Sep-16 18:48:56

I don't have a regular routine but I pick it up if I get a text/email/messenger alert different sound for each. Your friend doesn't seem to consider text or email that important, it does seem a bit odd not check more than weekly as she knows that's your preferred method to contact her.
I'm not sure how you can nudge her to check more often.

grannyactivist Fri 02-Sep-16 19:04:04

I usually have my phone within earshot and if I am free I look at it when I hear the message received signal. I'm often busy though and then I switch it to silent so I sometimes find lots of messages awaiting responses.
Today is my birthday so it's been pinging all day. grin

Badenkate Fri 02-Sep-16 19:09:49

Members of our local U3A group were asked if they could be contacted by text or email. Several agreed - as long as they were phoned to let them know that a message was being sent confused

Badenkate Fri 02-Sep-16 19:10:40

Happy birthday grannyactivist winecupcake

Jalima Fri 02-Sep-16 19:18:03

About once a week if I remember.
blush
The family has given up on me.
I do keep it for emergencies.

Jalima Fri 02-Sep-16 19:19:24

Happy birthday ga
ping
flowers

Thingmajig Fri 02-Sep-16 19:45:56

I'm terrible with my mobile as I tend to only look at it if I'm out ... if I even remember to take it with me! I just got a new one this week though so since it's such an improvement from the old one I might pay it a bit more attention.
We have poor reception in the house which doesn't help. I have it charging in the dining room so don't hear it in the living room.

I have an iPad and laptop which I give plenty attention to though. grin

obieone Fri 02-Sep-16 19:50:57

I only look at mine when I go out.

I think you may have to use a letter?

ginny Fri 02-Sep-16 20:05:50

If people don't want to check regularly why give others their e mail address ?

Jalima Fri 02-Sep-16 20:18:11

where's my post?

try again!

email address?? confused
it's a phone

whitewave Fri 02-Sep-16 20:22:52

About once a day. My daughter tends to text me. Other than that - never really.

annsixty Fri 02-Sep-16 20:30:48

Constantly, it is my lifeline. H can't use a mobile or internet so it is the only privacy I get.

annodomini Fri 02-Sep-16 20:44:12

I check it for my emails when I wake up. Then I check it when I can remember where it is.

tanith Fri 02-Sep-16 20:46:20

I'm finding a bit odd so many people don't check their phones. Why have a mobile if you don't use it for keeping in touch with people? I don't often get calls on mine but my family all keep tabs on each other with texts and messages or arranging meetups its the main reason I have one.

obieone Fri 02-Sep-16 21:03:37

I use it for phone calls when out and about. That is it. I'm a £30 a year, max, pay as you go person.

obieone Fri 02-Sep-16 21:05:29

Having said that, I forgot that I have now have an old phone from DH. And it has internet. So my costs might go up, I presume? Though I have only googled on it a few times in 2 months.

Pollengran Fri 02-Sep-16 21:24:25

I have an old samsung PAYG. That is fine for me.

shysal Fri 02-Sep-16 21:36:41

My phone lives in my trouser pocket at all times, set to ring and /or vibrate to alert me. For any without pockets I have made phone sized bags which I sew inside the waistband. I therefore never miss calls or texts. I save battery by not having the WiFi or mobile data turned on, so check my laptop or tablet for Emails several times a day. DD1 suffers from anxiety so I like to always be available day and night, but I do wish Vodafone wouldn't send texts over night.

Does anyone else, like me, always delete most messages and Emails as soon as I have read them, just saving anything important into folders? DD has years worth on her phone!

Katek Fri 02-Sep-16 21:51:34

My iPhone is my lifeline! It has everything in it, notes, diary, emails, documents, messages, photos. I have a battery pack charger case if I'm out for the day and a car charger to keep me topped up. I shop, bank and do the same from my phone as I would from my laptop. I've loved mobiles since they first came out, bit of a geek I'm afraid.

grannyactivist Fri 02-Sep-16 22:03:08

Thanks for birthday wishes - just had fish and mushy peas with The Wonderful Man in a parked car down lover's lane! I didn't take my phone. grin

Greyduster Fri 02-Sep-16 22:24:57

I'm exactly the opposite, katek - I hate phones. I regard mine with hostility from a distance and poke it with a stick! I do as little as possible with it but it thwarts me at every turn. DH is about to drag me kicking and screaming to buy a new one. He says I need an iPhone! I am tying my belongings into a hankie as we speak!

Greyduster Fri 02-Sep-16 22:25:48

Oh, and Happy Birthday, ga flowers!

Pittcity Fri 02-Sep-16 22:33:57

I have my apps set up so that I receive texts, emails, phone calls, facebook messages and all sorts on my phone, tablet and laptop at the same time (get a youngster to set it up for you) DH and I also have synced diaries on all our devices so we know what each other is up to and don't double book. it's a godsend when it works.

Can't read or reply when I'm on the move though like the children do.....