Gransnet forums

AIBU

TO THINK THAT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLY GREEDY

(83 Posts)
specki4eyes Sat 10-Sep-16 14:19:40

Someone I'm acquainted with is giving a party for her 65th birthday at her home at the end of this month. A few months ago, she emailed a "Save the Day" invitation to seemingly everyone she knows. (it was CC'd not BC'd). The actual invitation was emailed out to the same horde about 4 weeks ago. I then declined because I already knew what I would be doing on that day (with my family for my own birthday.)
But a friend rang me last night in absolute shock to say that she had received an email from the Birthday Girl's son asking for cash donations to his mother's holiday trip of a lifetime to be placed in a basket which would be visibly displayed during the party! Alternatively he suggested that a direct payment could be sent to her bank and gave her bank details.
Now in reality, Birthday Girl is renowned for boasting about her lucrative divorce settlement; her designer home and garden; her new car; her luxury holidays. So much so that she has very few close friends, but 'knows' a lot of people.
AIBU to consider this a terrible cheek? And my poor hard up friend who had accepted the invitation is absolutely incensed and is now looking for a way out! What should she say? Any ideas?

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 18:14:20

I just remembered when we ducked out of a friend's birthday party, I sent her a text and, on the actual day, left flowers by the front door. She had started partying quite early!wine

littlefierce Wed 14-Sep-16 15:03:35

When my niece got married she sent one of those 'cute' little poems asking for money :vomit: Even peeps just invited to the evening do got one. I halved what I'd have spent on a present & sent her the money with a card showing I'd donated the same amount on her behalf to a 'good gifts' charity, bwuhahahaha. I have no regrets - especially when she thanked everyone en masse via a Facebook post. Some people have no manners.

Anya Tue 13-Sep-16 06:36:20

Your friend doesn't want to go, so she shouldn't.

lionpops Tue 13-Sep-16 06:20:47

Don't see this as a big issue. She is what she is. Go to the party and place in the donations box exactly what she would spend on a present. Or ignore his request and just take a present. Or just fail to turn up at the party. I don't think there will be many people there .

Envious Mon 12-Sep-16 22:26:23

It was a invite to a party! Not a way to get money! I'd go if I wanted to and enjoy the company but ignore the silly basket!

POGS Mon 12-Sep-16 19:20:37

Simple reply from me to the OP

YES.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 12-Sep-16 16:22:30

My friend worked with a gay man who had a very volatile relationship with his partner.
They frequently split up and reunited.

One day, out of the blue, he announced they were getting married the following month. Wedding invitations were hastily sent out and guests were invited to donate to 'the honeymoon of a lifetime' which was to be in the Seychelles. My friend who'd known him for several years reluctantly gave him £50 and she understood they eventually collected over £3000 in the company they worked for. The marriage failed before they went on the honeymoon (which was planned for two weeks after the wedding). The money was never returned and there were a lot of unhappy work colleagues. The split was permanent.

cassandra264 Mon 12-Sep-16 16:12:57

Was invited a few years ago to friends' ruby wedding party a long distance away which involved me paying costly travel/accommodation costs. my Their adult children who were arranging it asked for donations to their 'trip of a lifetime' which I gave. Wouldn't do it again. Since then, I have discovered the people concerned are far better off than I believed, and enjoy expensive long haul trips abroad several times a year. This sort of behaviour is greedy/taking advantage. I do not feel the same about the relationship.

Thought - My partner has a significant birthday coming up, and I want to arrange a lunch party locally. Clearly, I am stupid - it has just never occurred to me that anyone coming who was not immediate family would think they should buy a present! Obviously I need to make this clear - and I think absent's idea of a basket for charity donations is a good one.

trisher Mon 12-Sep-16 15:08:13

Just thought she could go to the party and just put a note in an envelope saying "Was going to give you £50 towards your trip, then I realised you would want to support mine as well, so this is a thank you for your kind contribution towards my holiday. Love XX" Leave in contributions basket grin

Barmyoldbat Mon 12-Sep-16 14:11:35

She could either say she has changed her mind or put a £1 in a sealed envelope with a note saying from a hard up friend.

clementine Mon 12-Sep-16 13:54:24

I would do as others suggested and recommend your friend throw £5 into an envelope and leave it in the basket, thats, if she decided to go. My husband is approaching 70 next month and we are just having a small family dinner, and then going to a favourite hotel for a couple of days. He insists on no party or gifts from anyone . We are very fortunate to have all we need, perhaps not all we would want, but that's a different story !!! My friend is also celebrating a milestone birthday next month, and instead of a party is hosting a Macmillan coffee morning , with donations in lieu of gifts. Ive already bought a small gift anyway, but will be happy to make a donation.

Regarding attending events, a friend pointed out to me one time, when I was fretting about whether or not I was obliged to attend a party " Its an invitation, not an obligation " Wise words.

trisher Mon 12-Sep-16 13:16:11

I'd send the son an e-mail saying "I would be delighted to attend my friend's party and was really looking forward to it, however I am someone with a limited income and as I am unable to afford any holidays myself cannot contribute towards your mother's. I wish her every happiness."
That should make him feel guilty!

Carolpaint Mon 12-Sep-16 10:27:13

Many people give hideous presents however well intentioned, so this may be what the son was trying to prevent. Go to the soirée, give what you think is appropriate for the fare, have we not all been to parsimonious occasions? Some of us pride ourselves on the effort and richness of our table, others try to get away with poor fare. It brings to mind Jeffrey Archers soirées of shepherds pie, I would consider this an affront. So give the widow's mite if that is all you can afford, but do not cry off ill, that is deceit.

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Sep-16 09:55:20

Our friends had a similar basket for donations at their golden wedding anniversary bash. But the basket was for cash only - annonimously - and in aid of the local children's hospice.

If she's really that well off, I'd just go to the party and enjoy it, and not 'donate' anything. So many people will be there anyway, it'll not be noticed.

antheacarol Mon 12-Sep-16 09:52:36

I really do not like these sorts of "invites" I feel that they do not really want you there only your money.I would turn down the invitation and spend the time with people that care about you .

Witzend Mon 12-Sep-16 09:30:33

It's unacceptable IMO for long grown up adults to ask for money. Esp. if they're comfortably off.

We had a friend (not remotely hard up) whose wife asked for donations for his 60th, for an expensive item he wanted for the garden. 'Since you will probably want to buy him a present anyway...'

We thought it a cheek, ignored it, and took what we would have taken anyway, a bottle of fizz.

I would only think it acceptable if (say) the person really was hard up, wanted e.g. to visit family in Australia, and couldn't otherwise afford the air fare.

GrammaH Mon 12-Sep-16 08:32:03

Oh dear, how awful. I don't like cash requests, although I can appreciate they're a good idea for weddings. If it were me, I just wouldn't turn up...how rude of me! One friend of ours had a huge 60th & used it as a fund raiser for a local charity & raised several thousand pounds - now that is acceptable & very laudable! We all had a fantastic party & the charity did well.

ElaineI Mon 12-Sep-16 01:04:14

I do think it is a step too far - don't like the wedding ones that ask for contributions to honeymoons etc either. Again I have been to birthday parties where "no presents please" was stipulated. How about buying something on her behalf for a family in the 3rd world - like a goat or chickens etc. A GP at my Practice did that and I thought it was a good idea.

marpau Sun 11-Sep-16 19:37:47

As the request has come from birthday girls son am I alone in thinking she may have asked him to pay for the holiday as a birthday gift? (I am truly turning into an old cynic!!!)

Nona4ever Sun 11-Sep-16 19:19:39

I have a BIG birthday approaching which is being marked by a rather splendid lunch for close friends and family. My DP, who is organising the whole thing knew (rightly) that our guests would want to mark the occasion with a gift - because, as a group, we always tend to do so, but he also knew that I have enough of the sort of things which are normally gifted on these occasions: books, perfume, scarves, candles etc.
So he wrote to each quest inviting them to contribute to one 'big' present - something he knew that I wanted but which was not feasible for any individual to buy. He was prepared to top up the amount received to the level required. He stressed there was absolutely no obligation on anyone to be part of the scheme, but (apparently) without exception each guest said they were delighted to contribute. All of them were really happy to be relieved of the burden of choice and to be a part of getting me something which I would love. My DP's gesture in doing this was not a cynical exploitation of the generosity of our friends; it was a reasoned, sensible response to a mini problem which I think has been a success all round.

Charleygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 18:47:04

Am I alone hoping that I never receive another wedding invitation? The entire cost is too much- new outfit, hair do, travel to venue and if unlucky a night in a hotel never mind a gift!

willa45 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:18:17

Here is the US Bridal Registries have been around for decades but I always felt it's an imposition on an esteemed guest to tell them where and what gifts to buy. A growing absence of sensibility has overridden good manners over time, to the extent that people now ask for donations with a straight face. We received such a request the other day with a wedding invitation! It is someone we haven't seen in years! Thankfully the wedding is in another part of the country and we declined graciously. I couldn't help thinking... why not do away with the invitations altogether? Why not come straight out, pick the amount and charge for admission instead?

Ana Sun 11-Sep-16 17:34:33

marionk No! Just think how she'd feel if the birthday girl actually won the jackpot (with friend's ticket) and was in the local paper bragging about it!

phoenix Sun 11-Sep-16 17:31:24

As one of the senior staff in the Royal Household said about Sarah Ferguson "vulgar, vulgar, vulgar!"

marionk Sun 11-Sep-16 17:03:05

Why not just buy a lottery ticket or scratch card, pop it in the basket with a good luck note? She will then only have spent £1 plus the envelope and who knows birthday girl may win and pay for her own holiday