Gransnet forums

AIBU

Down With Acronyms

(112 Posts)
Gwoof Sat 17-Sep-16 11:50:46

Am I being unreasonable in disliking acronyms? Surely it doesn't take much effort or time to type in the full words. Without them the flow for the reader is so much easier. Frequent use of acronyms is like being in a special club where you have to keep up with stupid rules. Let's start a new fashion in Gransnet: stop overusing acronyms and make reading a pleasure again.

thatbags Sun 18-Sep-16 14:06:33

Urban Dictionary is pretty good actually, and not just for acronyms.

Peaseblossom Sun 18-Sep-16 14:24:18

No you're not. I put a similar post on here a couple of weeks ago but I don't think anyone even responded. Maybe they CBA! I didn't realise you could click on "acronyms" at the top of the page at the time. I must say I managed to work the majority of them out anyway, but it's annoying if someone uses one which isn't in the list. I hate text speak too and never use it on my phone. Even my two daughters hate it and use the correct spelling and grammar.

Peaseblossom Sun 18-Sep-16 14:26:54

NO!

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 14:31:51

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/a1229713-Using-initials-instead-of-full-words

Here is a link to the thread you started, Peaseblossom. You will see that quite a few people responded.

SueDonim Sun 18-Sep-16 14:36:36

[Grin] Wobblybits, I was making mischief.

I believe acronyms first came about when mobile phones came in and text messages were restricted to about 140 characters and each text was charged individually. You needed to be able to put across your point briefly. The habit caught on and here we are today.

It's easy enough to fathom out, with the Internet at our finger tips.

Peaseblossom Sun 18-Sep-16 14:36:50

Acronymphomania - the uncontrollable or excessive need to form abbreviations from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words.

Joyfully Sun 18-Sep-16 14:47:03

GWoof. I am with you. I loathe acronyms. I use social media all the time and post on StreetLife, and no one uses acronym. To say it is the culture of Gransnet does not mean it cannot change. Why do we have to have DH for instance. What would make us normally write darling husband, darling daughter. I am stil working full time for myself, but can easily find the time to type the actual word.

I do occasionally post on this site, but never use acronyms. No need. It's lazy and it's okay if others want to use them, but really it takes a while to work them out. Each to his own I guess.

anniesgrannie Sun 18-Sep-16 14:57:16

Thanks for that, thatbags. I would not have guessed that in a hundred years.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Sep-16 14:59:42

Well us wot post lots, like it.

Soz.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Sep-16 15:00:17

(that was to joyfully)

Crafting Sun 18-Sep-16 15:13:22

I don't mind acronyms as long as I can work out what they are. Being a DLF it took me a while to figure out your FFS jings and CBA took me a while too but it's part of GN and everyone does it. (However I have got into a few scrapes using LOL when sending text messages as I thought it meant "lots of love". I've had some very strange replies blush)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Sep-16 15:19:47

Give me time... I will work it out.

DLF. DLF....

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Sep-16 15:20:28

better not come up with anything too rude....

thatbags Sun 18-Sep-16 15:22:18

Ah, sarcasm, ag. Hey ho.

And there was me taking your comment as genuine. Hey ho again.

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 15:24:03

Dear Little...AH!! Delicate Little Flower! grin

NonnaAnnie Sun 18-Sep-16 15:27:20

I have just come across this, thought it appropriate? And rather amusing?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Sep-16 15:28:13

Dopey-longinthetooth-featherbrain

NO !!!'

Do not report Do not report!!!

(That Lara's got it in for me)

kittylester Sun 18-Sep-16 15:33:47

I keep saying that you wouldn't join your local wi or whatever and tell them they had it all wrong and had to change - or would you? I think that would be very rude and presumptuous!

rosesarered Sun 18-Sep-16 15:35:45

Could mean anything, in fact, I won't put what just popped into my mind.grin

rosesarered Sun 18-Sep-16 15:36:15

That was the DLF ......btw

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 15:38:49

I've already told you what DLF stands for - are my posts invisible? grin

BlueBelle Sun 18-Sep-16 15:40:23

'Can't be axxxx ' Anniesgranny
Yes they are not new, SWALK was often used and we used to put some others on the back of envelopes i can only remember a couple of others ITALY and HOLLAND anyone use others

rosesarered Sun 18-Sep-16 15:41:23

Ana grin

thatbags Sun 18-Sep-16 15:50:12

Oops! I think I just misinterptreted something!

Apologies to ag if I did!

SueDonim Sun 18-Sep-16 15:52:57

DNR, Jinglbellsfrock? That's worrying! grin