Gransnet forums

AIBU

Down With Acronyms

(112 Posts)
Gwoof Sat 17-Sep-16 11:50:46

Am I being unreasonable in disliking acronyms? Surely it doesn't take much effort or time to type in the full words. Without them the flow for the reader is so much easier. Frequent use of acronyms is like being in a special club where you have to keep up with stupid rules. Let's start a new fashion in Gransnet: stop overusing acronyms and make reading a pleasure again.

thatbags Mon 19-Sep-16 10:07:51

if

Elegran Mon 19-Sep-16 10:08:56

I wouldn't call you whiners, but I would say that surely you didn't join without first reading through the posts to decide whether or not you would like it here. You must have seen the acronyms then. Joining was your own choice.

So is joining any particular conversation - you might choose to avoid certain topics. Also some threads include references to concepts or information that you haven't met, using words you don't recognise. If you want to join that thread, you either look up what is unfamiliar or you work out from the context what they must mean - or lurk quietly for a while and learn a lot. There have been complaints they posters should only use words and concepts that everyone understands, and not discuss anything in any more depth than that, but I don't imagine you would go along with that?

thatbags Mon 19-Sep-16 10:09:51

The point is that Gransnet is inclusive smile It includes things (comments) one doesn't like as well as things one does. Both ways.

Louizalass Mon 19-Sep-16 13:13:52

I rarely use acronyms because having been a touch-typist for over 50 years, for me it's quicker to type the words rather than go looking to find what the acronym is!

But I appreciate it's eaiser for those who aren't 'typists' find it easier to shorten words to acronyms and just gloss over those if I don't know what they are! But I probably read the relationship forum the most so I've worked out what the DD, DiL etc are!

But outside of Gransnet, I abhor acronyms in business communication or general media communication! They assume that everybody knows what the acronym is! At least give the full wording initially then shorten it to the acronym later and give poor readers a fighting chance. grin

spanishsue Mon 19-Sep-16 13:41:54

Some of the acronyms aren't too obvious! When I first joined Facebook, I kept seeing 'LOL' and thought it meant 'lots of love' !!!!!!!!!!

BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-16 22:30:33

Wonderful

Gardenman99 Sun 02-Oct-16 16:55:10

I agree with you Gwoof it's like text talk. It's very distracting when one is trying to read someone's post.

However I have noticed on here that if one dares to comment on something as soon as one disagrees others like to jump on the bandwagon to tell us how they are 'oh so perfect.

Cherrytree59 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:02:17

Hadn't realised Mary Poppins had joined.
Must check out the welcome page
Are you on the welcome page Gardenman99 ?
if so you will get a nice welcome to GN ( that's Gransnetsmile)

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 17:07:12

Ooh, I must have missed all those 'I'm oh so perfect' posts Gardenman99

smile

soop Sun 02-Oct-16 17:12:24

spanishsue I also thought that 'LOL' meant 'lots of love'. The first time that I used 'LOL' I added it to a message that I'd sent a Facebook friend. She had had her dog 'put to sleep'...you can imagine how I felt when the penny eventually dropped and I realised that I had been an SOS (Sausage to all those who think I'm being crude).

thatbags Sun 02-Oct-16 17:17:52

Apparently LOL can also mean League of Legends (game; no, I haven't a clue either).

I have found the online "Urban Dictionary" quite useful at times.