Gransnet forums

AIBU

to fail to see the logic of shutting failing gp surgeries?

(8 Posts)
mumofmadboys Wed 23-Nov-16 15:25:23

I am a retired GP. Very few doctors own the premises in which they work nowadays. Smaller practices are partly shutting because of economy of scale. GP practices have to be open longer hours and easier to man practices if less of them from doctor, nurse and receptionist point of view. Also admin required for General Practice is very onerous and better done on larger scale as more economical. The follow up of patients by one doctor will inevitably suffer.

promoOcodes Wed 23-Nov-16 10:13:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Luckygirl Tue 22-Nov-16 18:23:56

My new practice, since moving house, is wholly staffed by part-time GPs, mainly women. It is excellent. The part-time option is a good way to encourage doctors into general practice. As my OH will testify, it is really punishing as a full time job.

mrsmopp Tue 22-Nov-16 16:06:57

Reviving this because I have only just spotted it. In my area it seems to be a policy of closing down smaller practices with maybe one or two GPs in favour of larger practices with multiple doctors, where you may not see the same Doctor twice and it's harder to build a relationship with a GP.
My doctor was very popular with his patients - the service was second to none but they are shutting him down along with three other small practices.
Thousands of patients now trying to find another practice to take them on, causing stress for patients and placing a huge burden on practices who are inundated with new patients. What a mess. I think they call it progress....

DaphneBroon Wed 12-Oct-16 08:09:52

GP s are not NHS employees and it does not own their practices. They are an example of the privatisation of the NHS which is often overlooked. Their services are contracted to the NHS and the premises usually owned by the partners. I can only think this is intended to ensure a better service to patients.
I agree about your example kitty, but as we know, fewer doctors want to be GPs and presumably fewer want the hassle of ownership of a practice,of the surgery, employment of other staff etc. confused As usual, I fear the patient is the last to bo considered.

kittylester Wed 12-Oct-16 08:01:25

The CQC inspect.

LullyDully Wed 12-Oct-16 07:52:13

I suppose it would be related to why they had failed. Is the inspecting like OFSTED with special measures.?

kittylester Wed 12-Oct-16 07:39:19

There has been an item on the local news about a failing gp surgery closing after being put special measures. I'm baffled by why it has to close and the patients have to register at other practices. It seems a waste of what appeared to be a purpose built/converted building and presumably the doctors would want to work some where in the area. confused

Can anyone explain?