Gransnet forums

AIBU

to want HATE campaigns against foreigners in the popular Press to stop...

(359 Posts)
M0nica Wed 02-Nov-16 14:26:44

You cannot label or target the readers of a newspaper as falling into any group because you do not know why they buy the paper or whether their politics are in accord with the newspaper they read.

We are smugly virtuous bien-pensants, we buy the i because it is broadly in line with how we think and the Daily Mail because we profoundly disagree with its political stance on most subjects. It also has several excellent weekly supplements. Both its Health and Finance supplements are worth reading. The paper does also seem to represent the views of a quite large sector of the population. That does not mean, however, that all its readers come from that section of the population.

Anya Wed 02-Nov-16 14:20:09

It will be the trial and conviction of the Polish lorry driver that killed a mother and three children by running into the back of their car that has sparked this. Ten years does seem unduly lenient. It's about time the sentences were severe enough to act as a deterent.

I don't care what nationality he or she is. These idiots make me see red angry

Tizliz Wed 02-Nov-16 14:02:00

So much hate on that LBC Facebook site.

Lazigirl Wed 02-Nov-16 13:26:36

I agree granjura. It seems that the racism that was bubbling beneath the surface in British society has gained legitimacy, dare I say it since Brexit, and has now burst forth, as witnessed by hate crime and the type of journalism which you describe.

granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 12:25:06

Of course not- it was very deliberate ... and that is the whole point. On our travels on M25, M1, M11, M20 - most of the van drivers and so many car drivers are on their phone- most of course with British plates and right-hand drive...

Christinefrance Wed 02-Nov-16 12:21:36

Was it just coincidence the drivers seen were all foreign ?

granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 12:15:54

And a reminder

youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M

Yes Minister

granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 12:06:57

www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/10154433302071558/

granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 12:05:37

So many Gneters think that it is not fair to target the readers of certain newspapers - and yet- the front pages of some of those newpapers are full of hate targetting foreigners, day in, day out. Today foreign drivers who phone or text at the wheel. Phoning or texting at the wheel is a menace, and should be stopped - whether it is mum or dad on the school run, white van drivers or lorry drivers, anyone- irrespective of nationality, sex, ethnicity, profession - ALL:

Totally agree with his 'rant' of the sheer hatred and racism in the popular Press at the moment- which is spilling out onto our streets too:

STOP PHONING OR TEXTING AT THE WHEEL - be you Polish, or British, or a dad or mum on the school run, or a Trader, or ... ANYONE - JUST - STOP - IT - please.