Gransnet forums

AIBU

to want HATE campaigns against foreigners in the popular Press to stop...

(360 Posts)
granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 12:05:37

So many Gneters think that it is not fair to target the readers of certain newspapers - and yet- the front pages of some of those newpapers are full of hate targetting foreigners, day in, day out. Today foreign drivers who phone or text at the wheel. Phoning or texting at the wheel is a menace, and should be stopped - whether it is mum or dad on the school run, white van drivers or lorry drivers, anyone- irrespective of nationality, sex, ethnicity, profession - ALL:

Totally agree with his 'rant' of the sheer hatred and racism in the popular Press at the moment- which is spilling out onto our streets too:

STOP PHONING OR TEXTING AT THE WHEEL - be you Polish, or British, or a dad or mum on the school run, or a Trader, or ... ANYONE - JUST - STOP - IT - please.

POGS Tue 15-Nov-16 11:16:30

whitewave

I wish I had simply said that!

Ana Tue 15-Nov-16 11:13:58

I said 'It's not all about you, granjura' meaning that people get fed up with your dramatic 'going for a loooong rest'and 'leaving you to it' every time a thread isn't going your way. Which you very rarely do anyway.

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 11:12:37

Yes I would but the trick is not to let it get to that sort of level. Make your point gracefully (I've yet to master that!) and don't get drawn into it at a personal level. If people are rude than let them stay with their rudeness, and ignore them entirely, but continue to make your point. Asshole to the lot of them!!!!!

POGS Tue 15-Nov-16 11:02:48

Nelliemoser

Had you offered any sign of remorse for making the allegation you did this might not have happened!

You are in a fortunate position of being permitted to continue posting as you do because you have been 'enabled' to do so, that I find more troubling for Gransnet than you and yours attack on me personally.

POGS Tue 15-Nov-16 10:58:37

whitwave

Sorry but if I called you a racist, a bully, should be ashamed of yourself, you know how to play semantic games, you are a past master of drawing fine lines between what you say and what you mean and what some other posters think you mean.

You might be a little cross.

granjura Tue 15-Nov-16 10:57:14

You said only yesterday Ana

'It's not all about you, granjura.'

so how can you state today that you didn't meant to say exactly that??? Not important as such, but just shows how distorted and twisted it can get!

As for avoiding my posts- seems strange that you make negative comments about practically each one of them lol - and as said never offering anything to the discussion apart from sarky or nasty comment- and this for months. Don't care, really - but let's see it as it is.

Mobile phone use is a massive problem all over the world- not just the UK. Our main road here is a thoroughfare into France from rest of Europe and UK- lots os snow, windy roads- and mobile use is common for cars, lorries, tractors, combine harvesters .... Swiss, French, foreign of every nationality. We did notice yesterday in our local French town, a UK lorry taking a roundabout far too fast with phone in hand on snow and ice- and thought about this thread!

Logging off for real this time. Toodle pip.

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 10:54:31

I am quite interested to know your view on Legos explanation for making toys which allow children the ability to explore aggression etc.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 10:45:03

I saw a couple of articles online and they were written, I think, by GN personnel, quoting posters word for word shock.

So they must get paid for the articles, using Gransnetters experiences and quotes - I just wondered how people who profess to hate the Daily Mail and all it stands for feel about having their views on life published in that rag?

If they feel so strongly about it should they cancel their membership of GN to disassociate themselves from DM in any way, as Lego has done?

I would be interested to know their views.

Elegran Tue 15-Nov-16 10:40:10

Jalima you say that Gransnet has some kind of link with the Daily Mail. Could it be the other way round? - that the Daily Mail finds Gransnet a very interesting (and free) source of copy and ideas for articles on subjects like "How Our Affluent Pensioners Have No Idea How Real People Live" or "Sex for Seniors"

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 10:37:58

Good grief! I meant that with affection and friendliness.

merlotgran Tue 15-Nov-16 10:33:12

How wrong to bring jingl into this when she's not here to defend herself.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 10:32:33

The moral high ground - is not referring to any posters specifically but the movement in general which granjura referred to.

The OP - granjura - the issue of drivers using mobiles at the wheel has been clouded by both the DM with their headlines (which I didn't see) and the campaign against the popular press allegedly whipping up hatred against foreigners.
Further clouded by the stance taken by Lego which is operating double standards in my opinion (and no, I don't need it pointed out to me yet again Lego's excuses for peddling their warlike toys.)

So, in fact, if the main thrust of this thread is STOP PHONING OR TEXTING AT THE WHEEL whoever you are then, sadly, that argument got lost in the rancour which is a great pity because the OP was not clear in its intent, sorry granjura but that's how I see it.

STOP PHONING OR TEXTING AT THE WHEEL is such an important issue that it should be the main focus of all right-minded people. On our local news last night there was a mother still distraught at the loss of her daughter by a driver using a mobile at the wheel TWENTY YEARS AGO! It is truly shocking that the problem is now much worse with phones being used as sat navs, music systems etc etc. I am glad the police will be clamping down on this but will it be too little - and too late?

I am no-one's crony but I will honestly say that I have not seen POGS bullying anyone, just stating her case firmly and I have seen a lack of understanding by some other posters of the logical point she is making - which seems quite clear to me. I was once told I am a 'lateral thinker - more like a man' hmm, I don't know about that but I do try to see the logical viewpoint and try to understand things from other people's point of view.

Therefore, looking at it logically, your post Tue 15-Nov-16 00:32:11 should be deleted by GNHQ Tegan if others have been deleted.

And another thing that came to mind - perhaps GNHQ could comment on this:

It has been pointed out that Gransnet has some kind of association with the Daily Mail - often a thread started by GNHQ is to elicit responses which are then included in a piece of journalism in that newspaper.
I can take the Daily Mail or leave it because I think I am intelligent enough to disregard anything that I find offensive, as with any newspaper including the Guardian.

HOWEVER - will those who have such a hatred of the Daily Mail now cancel their membership of Gransnet because of its association with said publication?

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Nov-16 10:22:30

Rosesared Pogs I will use an analogy!

The song "The Rose" as sung by Bette Middler appears to me to be a load of sentimental cliched musical rubbish. (As was the even worse Military wives Choir) "Where ever you are" bIlitar

That is the impression I get from hearing it and having to sing it at choir far too often. It appears to me to be just a pot boiler. It may appear to others to be a glorious love song.
It is my opinion, the impression I get, not any statement of fact.

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 10:17:42

pogs perhaps if you were a bit less cross and more laid back it would help matters.

This is after all only a social media thing, you don't have to take any of it seriously as it doesn't impinge on your real life. Jing sometimes got her knickers in a twist about stuff, and look where that landed her. Honestly none of it matters.

You and I are on different political divides, but does it matter? Not a jot! I am sure we would be very polite if we met and very civilised.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Nov-16 10:15:17

Certainly and understandably a heated topic.

You are all welcome to express your opinions and defend them on this thread - but if a post has been deleted please don't then quote from it...it will have gone for a reason and reposting whatever was in it will then necessitate your post to be taken down too.

We really prefer not to take anything down unless it contravenes one of our very few guidelines. Please do bear this in mind when responding to anything else on this thread. As we say - it's no problem to defend yourself or your views, but this needs to be done without resorting to personal attacks etc.

If there are posts that concern you on this or any thread do let us know and we can look into them

POGS Tue 15-Nov-16 10:04:03

Tegan and no doubt a handful of others.

Thank you!.

I awoke this morning to e.mails from GNHQ telling me my post yesterday 20.26 had been reported and removed.

This raises an even bigger problem for me now as if I cannot defend myself using 'accurate' information detailing exactly how I was called a racist and subsequently challenging a further 'inaccurate' post where does that leave a poster to prove the truth?

I note also the post which I challenged as being untrue by posting the 'actual' words of the offending original post subsequently has not been removed and anybody reading it will assume the poster 'actually' said what she has ironically reposted after withdrawing her comment.

How does Gransnet work ?

A poster withdraws a post, subsequently reposts what she said but it is not the 'exact' words and changed completely.

The poster called a racist reposts the 'actual' words but is reported and called AGAIN by Tegan shameful, a bully and a racist!

If you delete this post GNHQ I will be disgusted in the whole process and the ease with which you can allow a poster to be shabbily treated and worst of all not even allowed to defend their own reputation against being called a bully and a racist.

Ana Tue 15-Nov-16 10:01:14

I did not mean that the thread was all about you, granjura. I'm sorry if you see 'attacks' and 'bullying' everywhere - believe me, I try to avoid your posts as much as I can!

rosesarered Tue 15-Nov-16 10:00:25

Hope HQ ends this thread.

rosesarered Tue 15-Nov-16 09:57:07

Only NellieMoser and Tegan and now yourself * granjura* are to blame for all these crazy allegations of racism and bullying.Your own faults.

granjura Tue 15-Nov-16 09:51:19

All I can say before logging off for a very looong time- is that this thread, like others recently- shows how terribly divided we have become- GN mirrors what is happening out there- and it is tragic indeed.

The OP was about the unfair targetting of foreigners re mobile phone use- when we all know it is a massive problem not limited to foreign drivers. Those foreign drivers on the M20 btw are NOT immigrants - they live in their own countries and come over to deliver cheap goods we want from abroad...

Anyone who cannot see that those populist papers have had front pages and headlines, day in, day out ... targetting immigrants is either blind, disingenuous - or espouses the views expressed in the paper - so yes, that would make them supporters of recism - and that is not a long way off from being racist then. End off. Get me banned if you wish- I am truly past caring.

Ana- no this thread was not 'all about me' at all - how on earth could you come to that conclusion? Your attacks of me are so obvious to all- every thread, practically every post- and yet never ever offering a solution, or an answer, or any contribution at all- apart from attacking.

Do you think others can't see that? As is so often the case in life, those who call 'bully' often do so to hide their own bullying. It's so obvious though - I'll choose to laugh about it and shrug it off, Gaelic style. For better effect for you Euro-allergic - Junker style - pffft. Au revoir.

rosesarered Tue 15-Nov-16 09:51:03

The shame is all on YOU Tegan for calling a poster who objects ( quite rightly) to being labelled a racist, a bully!
like Ceesnan I am not a crony either but see POGS as a pleasant poster who tries to debate reasonably and put the other side of the picture.
You however, can only see the one side, your own.

gillybob Tue 15-Nov-16 09:50:57

Quite hesitant to join this conversation but I don't believe that being concerned about immigration makes you a racist. The two are very different .

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 09:37:41

The threads headline talks of hating foreigners and popular press. I drew a simple comparison

DaphneBroon Tue 15-Nov-16 09:34:46

When (and HOW) did this morph from mobile phoning/texting at the wheel to LEGO and accusations of racism?
#threadsthatwander

Ceesnan Tue 15-Nov-16 09:24:02

As far as I can see, Tegan, all POGS has done is to draw attention to the fact that NellieMoser was denying saying something when she actually had said it. What is so wrong with that? On re-reading your post I would think that you should be ashamed for making such an unpleasant and unjustified remark. By the way I don't regard myself as anyone's crony..