Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to want to join grans net even though I have no grandchildren?

(37 Posts)
WildRoses Wed 02-Nov-16 19:51:02

Just that really. I have 3 dc and 3 dsc but no grandchildren. I always see discussions through mumsnet and they're really interesting and wanted to join.

Elegran Sun 06-Nov-16 11:32:48

Do they have different entry qualifications? Like having to be a distant member of the royal family?

Im68Now Sun 06-Nov-16 11:27:29

I wish I'd said the RAC now.

Elegran Sun 06-Nov-16 10:55:13

If joining the AA gave me the opportunity to enjoy the cars that others owned without the expense and the bother of maintaining them, and a chance to go places in the company of interesting people - yes I would join.

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:56:19

It's also a place where we can have a laugh!!!! ??????

DanniRae Sun 06-Nov-16 09:54:29

Is it ok to smoke on here wot? I thought it was banned like everywhere else?? grin

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:47:41

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!?.

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:45:29

I would also say perhaps people without children and grandchildren appreciate this site because it allows them to share in the enjoyment of other's who do have them! and a lifeline for isolated people.

DanniRae Sun 06-Nov-16 09:40:59

Not pathetic at all wot - no way!!

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:39:12

I'd be lost without GN. I don't care if that seems pathetic.

DanniRae Sun 06-Nov-16 09:37:12

Oh Dear, Im68Now that's not very friendly is it? And to a new member too!

I see this site as a place for people to communicate. To amuse, comfort, advise and reach out to other people. Why on earth would it bother you if people have children/grandchildren or not?

I feel quite sad for you if that's how you feel..... sad

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:31:10

wink

Im68Now Sun 06-Nov-16 09:30:31

Nice one WOT

Lona Sun 06-Nov-16 09:28:17

Lots of car enthusiasts don't have cars.

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:28:13

And what's being alcoholic got to do with it??!
I agree with Nellie.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Nov-16 09:26:24

Im68Now??? What has your analogy about joining the AA got to do with it? Anyone can join Gransnet, children, grandchildren or none at all.
It's not everyones cup of tea but it can keep away a lot of loneliness, even If the friends you make are only virtual.

wot Sun 06-Nov-16 09:25:46

hmm

Im68Now Sun 06-Nov-16 09:15:09

Would you join the AA if you didn't have a car.

DanniRae Sun 06-Nov-16 09:03:41

Oh Margaret I would love to learn to play the piano. I have never had lessons - would a digital piano be a good place to start? Could I teach myself?

Sorry WildRoses to hijack your original post but I couldn't let this chance pass me by. And welcome to GN -I joined about 6 months ago and I LOVE it!

MargaretX Sat 05-Nov-16 21:20:06

When i joined at the beginning I had Gcs who I saw regularly. those days are now over. They have their own lives and we have ours. I have joined GN and contribute on many subjects especially politics but really private things I have kept quiet. I'm not on Facebook either.
GN is always interesting and after reading posts about playing the piano again after many years not playing a single note, I have now bought a digital piano.

Wildroses Beware GN can change your life, you can become addicted!

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 18:10:25

Welcome! smile

DanniRae Sat 05-Nov-16 18:06:04

I am another one with children but no grandchildren (yet - my darling son promises one sometime in the future with his lovely partner) smile

Lisalou Sat 05-Nov-16 11:54:14

Another one here with children, but no grandchildren. Truth is, given my eldest's attitude to motherhood, I am unlikely to have any, anytime soon! I have been made to feel really welcome, and had a lot of laughs. People are really helpful too, and have supported me in times where i needed a good old rant!

Charleygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 09:19:29

Since joining yonks ago I have learned such a lot about various subjects and I have also met in real life some seriously nice people. We meet monthly locally for coffee and never stop talking and laughing.

I have neither grand children nor children but that has not stopped me putting my halfpenny worth in. I have needed a hard hat x2 but I just withdraw and go somewhere else.

I can sit here on GN totally oblivious to the fact that this house needs some serious attention.

Shanma Fri 04-Nov-16 23:55:55

Isn't it odd that often I see posts here from someone saying they are new, can they join in, blah de blah, People respond, and I never see the OP again confused

Leticia Fri 04-Nov-16 23:25:46

Welcome. I am another one who has children but no grandchildren.