Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need a moan.

(21 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 11-Nov-16 12:38:12

I developed, out of the blue, a pain underneath my shoulder blade last Friday night. I thought I had pulled a muscle, though I hadn't done anything to engender that. By Monday evening, it was excruciating and on Tuesday, miraculously, I managed to get an appointment with the doctor, who gave me a once over and then said "i want you to go for an X-ray today". I asked if it could wait until the next day as I would be over in the vicinity of the hospital then anyway. "No," she said "today! Then phone me on Friday because I'll have the results by then. And if you're still in pain, go to A&E. When I asked her what she thought it might be she just said let's wait for the X-ray. I have to say, it worried me, and though now it has abated somewhat, it hasn't gone away. Anyway, I phoned this morning and she wasn't there, so I spoke to another doctor who told me the results hadn't come back. I now have to phone again after the weekend. She says she is sure that if there was anything to worry about, the hospital would have fast tracked it. So I'm a bit fed up. First you have to drop everything and hare off to the hospital post haste, spend all week worrying about it, and then? I know I should be grateful that my doctor likes to cover all the bases, but then to be told that, because the X-ray department haven't sent the results it's probably nothing to worry about! Really? As I said, I wanted a moan!!

Jane10 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:07:34

What a shame greyduster. One big worry for you that most likely is OK but you won't know till after the weekend. Hope you can relax a bit but I quite understand your moan!

kittylester Fri 11-Nov-16 13:14:13

That's a real nuisance for you Greyduster. I bet you are veering between thinking 'of course there is nothing the matter' and 'oh, crikey, what could it be?' aren't you. As the second doctor said, it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm sure you'd like confirmations. Feel free to moan some more if it helps!. flowers

Anya Fri 11-Nov-16 13:19:56

You are entitled to a moan. I know someone who was promised the result of his MRI scan and is still waiting two weeks later despite phone calls. This is to decide whether he has yet another operation to give him a few more months or is just offered palliative care. A life or death situation.

The system is broken. Nobody seems to care, results are lost, not forwarded, everything is in chaos.

Try not to fret over the weekend Greyduster

Greyduster Fri 11-Nov-16 13:48:24

I know my problems are insignificant compared with some, but it was her urgency that unsettled me. We had to rearrange our whole day so that I could go to the X-ray department - we have a walk in service - that afternoon. And then the whole thing grinds to a halt. I have to admit that I was feeling particularly low that day as I had had a conversation with my best friend, who told me that there is a distinct possibility that she has IPF. I shed some tears because, ironically, she nursed her husband through it three years ago and she knows what the prognosis is. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Our grandson is coming to stay tonight, so that will certainly cheer me up.

jollyg Fri 11-Nov-16 14:02:58

Like you Greyd I could moan, but I prefer to be phlegmatic.
What will be will be.

I have lost all confidence in GP system.

Went to physio Wed, she had Drs notes, very comprehensive but out of date re medicaments I am taking [from last 6 months]. She questioned his responses to me regarding notes ......... most of which I could not answer, except for he does not give me any confidence in the system.

Have been with the practice 50+ years, and rarely have seen anyone/ bothered in the practice, bar a few exceptions.

I refused the cervical smear some time ago and was sent a letter from GP saying I would be banned from the practice unless I acceded.

He got a snippy response from me, quoting a the Friday/ Monday errors in the results

Next time I saw him we discussed my letter and he agreed he would not like such an invasive procedure on his penis.

Today a hospital visit for an MRI ,staff are marvellous, min wait, but on the letter from my appointment I had to ask what it was for? Why was that not there.

Sorry I would not have written this post, but to respond.

jollyg Fri 11-Nov-16 14:09:12

Listened to Cohens music last night on radio,, andother dose now for calm. What an amazing man, and what a wordsmith

morethan2 Fri 11-Nov-16 14:12:17

I hope things improve Greyduster and when you do get the results it's nothing too serious. I just want to say if it is really really serious the hospital would telephone. They did when my DiL had her awful news. Friday evening and told her to pack a bag and get to the hospital ASAP. It must be really frightening for you though, but it also means you've got a very good G.P. I'm trying to reassure you and probably doing a bad job of it. I'm sorry about your best friend that was two lots of horrible news in one day. flowers

Luckygirl Fri 11-Nov-16 14:20:22

Good luck with all this - it is so frustrating isn't it?

We had a nearly 4 week wait for the results of DD's breast lump biopsy.

I was seen 8 weeks ago by the ortho consultant who thinks my hip replacement might be infected - my GP has written in the interim for results and still another 2 weeks later nothing - just nothing.

Anya Fri 11-Nov-16 14:38:27

Didn't mean to make your problems seem insignificant Greyduster I fully appreciate your worry and frustration. What I'm saying is this sort of lax attitude to getting results to patients is simply not good enough

Anya Fri 11-Nov-16 14:39:26

Two more examples of sheer inefficiency Lucky

harrigran Fri 11-Nov-16 17:08:21

I think your GP was correct, I had a pain in my side which spread to my chest, it was nothing significant but on chemo I was x-rayed and scanned. I had a pulmonary embolism and if it had been left I probably would not be here now.

Greyduster Fri 11-Nov-16 19:26:17

To bring things up to date, I have just this minute had a telephone call from my doctor (don't know if she ever goes home!). The X-ray results came online late this afternoon and they were normal. She didn't want me worrying over the weekend, apparently. I asked her what she thought it was caused by and she said it was probably a musculoskeletal problem. Thank God you are here, harri, and that hopefully you are in good hands. My niece, who had surgery for lung cancer recently, had two X-rays, both of which came back clear. She pestered her doctor for further investigations; they did a bronchoscopy and found a tumour so small that the consultant said it would never have shown up on an X-ray. Just goes to show. Thank you all for your support, I do appreciate it. I'm a bit stuck for people to offload to at the moment.

janeainsworth Fri 11-Nov-16 19:52:28

jollyg
Next time I saw him we discussed my letter and he agreed he would not like such an invasive procedure on his penis.

Perhaps that's why he's thinking of banning you shock

Jayanna9040 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:43:46

Ok, now we know it's ok, a pain such as you describe is likely to be an aneurism that is approaching bursting point. She was absolutely on the ball with this one. And a phone call to stop you worrying. Excellent GP.

Greyduster Fri 11-Nov-16 21:02:57

I am beginning to see now why she wasn't willing to expand on what she thought it might be, and why she was so anxious that I should go straight to A&E if it didn't settle down. Phew!

Azie09 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:40:28

Greyduster, no one seems to have said it so I will. Pain can be referred to the shoulder blade from the gall bladder and also the bile duct and liver. So it could have been gall stones or worse, I think your GP was correct to act swiftly but I'm surprised she didn't indicate what she was concerned about. Glad to hear it was all ok.

Deedaa Fri 11-Nov-16 22:17:16

Certainly when DH had a blood test done at our local hospital we had a call that evening from one of the doctors who had seen the results and wanted him to see someone at once. When he went into hospital they told him he could have been dead in another 3 or 4 days.

rubylady Sat 12-Nov-16 06:46:41

*Greyduster8 I am so glad that you are ok. smile

kittylester Sat 12-Nov-16 06:58:15

Glad you are ok Duster and your gp is being thorough. Panic over! wine

TriciaF Sat 12-Nov-16 19:51:10

Glad it turned out to be OK for you Greyduster.It lasted a long time shock.
I've had a similar pain lately, really acute, and at first thought 'heart attack!' as I've already had one.
I tried putting my hand behind my back then up towards my neck, and the pain went, TG.
I've had it before and think it's due to a stretched tendon, from the position I use when on the 'puter.