Gransnet forums

AIBU

Learning about other's beliefs

(184 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 22-Nov-16 16:29:42

I have been thinking about this for the last 2 days & cannot make up my mind if I am being unreasonable.

On Sunday over dinner my DS was telling us that they had had a letter from GC's school to say that an Iman from local Muslim community had been invited to come to the school (village primary school - no Muslim pupils) to talk to them about Islam.

My son & DiL have decided that they will exclude the children from school that day as they do not want them hearing 'propaganda from a religion that treats women so badly'.

I was really shocked as I thought any coming together of communities to promote mutual understanding could only be a good thing.
They live in a small village but the nearest town is not far away & as far as I am aware there is not a big Muslim community there.

I told him I thought it was a crazy idea & the children (10 & 8) should know about all other religions & learn to respect them as I hope they would ours ( we are not a religious family to be fair).
They are adamant that the children will miss a day's school rather than hear this man talk.

I am sure it will be appropriate for the Primary school age he will be talking to.

Am I wrong? I know it is their decision as they are their children but I would have liked my GC to have heard what the man has to say- teachers will be present.
I was really shocked to hear him say this & I have been thinking about it ever since.
I know he will not change his mind because of what I say but I think he is wrong.
What do others think?

annodomini Tue 06-Dec-16 11:52:14

My GS, now 12, had a good education about religions in primary school. Reaching secondary school, he politely informed his RE teacher that he was an atheist. He comes from an atheist/humanist family but accepted that RE in primary school helped him to make his mind up. He and his teacher reached a mutually acceptable understanding.
I would agree that RE is useful ONLY if it provides unbiased information about all the major faiths in order for children to be able to make decisions about their beliefs - or unbelief.

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 12:19:30

My daughter, a confirmed atheist from about 14 took Religious Studies at GCSE and gained an 'A' (in the days before A*s). She chose questions, such as issues around abortions, which were more ethically based.

She found the classes interesting as it taught students how to look at different sides of a debate, different issues, to respect the opinions of others and generally keep an open mind.

daphnedill Tue 06-Dec-16 16:51:05

My son was also a confirmed atheist, but GCSE RE was compulsory. The RE lived in the same road as I did and made a point of crossing the road to speak to me one day. I feared she was going to tell me how disruptive my son was, but she actually wanted to tell me what a delight he was. Apparently, the two of them had some quite heated, but well-informed arguments about religion and ethics, etc.

A* had been introduced by the time he did GCSE, which he duly achieved along with the school prize for RE (shock horror).

This is Essex's agreed syllabus for RE:

schools-secure.essex.gov.uk/other/Essex_SACRE/Pages/Essex-SACRE.aspx

I would imagine most authorities are the same.

The Imam is probably going to talk about Muhamed's life, what a mosque looks like or Ramadan. I don't know that much about any of those topics, so I'd quite like to go. I certainly wouldn't keep my children away.

daphnedill Tue 06-Dec-16 16:51:37

*RE teacher lived in the same road (typo)

Ana Tue 06-Dec-16 17:09:32

I've never heard of RE being a compulsory GCSE subject before. Was it a faith school?

Ohdear123 Tue 06-Dec-16 17:18:43

Yes it's been compulsory for a few years now. And I believe it should be... however a few textbooks weren't completely accurate...at the end of the day people believe what they want. So not everyone might agree with 100% of their own religion. Or come from a varying sect. But you get at least a generalisation.

Ana Tue 06-Dec-16 17:23:47

Are you sure? I know it's compulsory to teach it up to year 11 but can't find any information that says all pupils must take GCSE in RE.

Jalima Tue 06-Dec-16 17:28:14

There was a choice of humanities when the DC were at school but it was impossible to take Geography, History and Comparative Religion for GCSE.
It was one or another.

RE is a compulsory subject now but there is no requirement to take a GCSE in it.