Gransnet forums

AIBU

Learning about other's beliefs

(183 Posts)
Deedaa Tue 22-Nov-16 20:34:52

After the atrocities in Paris a pair of pleasant muslim men came to the door offering to leave me a couple of booklets about Islam to try and counteract the anti Islam publicity. I found the literature very interesting (nothing derogatory about women at all) but I did wonder what sort of welcome they would get from some of the neighbours.

Anniebach Tue 22-Nov-16 19:26:08

I am sure staff would be with the children

dbDB77 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:31:25

I agree with Luckygirl that the decision is for your son and d-i-l to make. On a personal level I would be uncomfortable if an Imam were to speak to young children unless there were adults (grandparents and parents perhaps?) present who would challenge - really effectively challenge - any religious dogma that flies in the face of our society's values, such as equality for women. On a practical level the school could always ensure that the Imam is endorsed by the Quilliam Foundation which promotes integration and a moderate and inclusive Islam.

Anniebach Tue 22-Nov-16 17:14:01

It's a pity, the Iman is reaching out to the community

Christinefrance Tue 22-Nov-16 17:10:44

I think the Imam would have been asked about the content of his talk to the children before it happened.
As I understand the rank and file Muslims hold respectful views of women and hate the extremist views that have taken hold. However it is the parents decision to make, did they talk to the head teacher about their concerns?

nanaK54 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:49:37

Oh dear will the children know why they are not in school that day?

Luckygirl Tue 22-Nov-16 16:39:48

I think it is their decision to make, as you clearly recognise.

Learning about a diversity of religions can only be good, but I guess it is important to know as parents what this person is going to say and which version of Islam they hear. Many Muslims will tell you that women are respected and honored; others regard them as second class and want them to walk behind them and be covered up. I can understand that your son and DIL are not keen for the children to get a message that downgrades women, so, although learning about others and their beliefs is in principle good, I can understand their anxieties.

Frankly I too have no idea what the "real" Islam thinks about the place of women - who is to decide what is "real"?

Craftycat Tue 22-Nov-16 16:29:42

I have been thinking about this for the last 2 days & cannot make up my mind if I am being unreasonable.

On Sunday over dinner my DS was telling us that they had had a letter from GC's school to say that an Iman from local Muslim community had been invited to come to the school (village primary school - no Muslim pupils) to talk to them about Islam.

My son & DiL have decided that they will exclude the children from school that day as they do not want them hearing 'propaganda from a religion that treats women so badly'.

I was really shocked as I thought any coming together of communities to promote mutual understanding could only be a good thing.
They live in a small village but the nearest town is not far away & as far as I am aware there is not a big Muslim community there.

I told him I thought it was a crazy idea & the children (10 & 8) should know about all other religions & learn to respect them as I hope they would ours ( we are not a religious family to be fair).
They are adamant that the children will miss a day's school rather than hear this man talk.

I am sure it will be appropriate for the Primary school age he will be talking to.

Am I wrong? I know it is their decision as they are their children but I would have liked my GC to have heard what the man has to say- teachers will be present.
I was really shocked to hear him say this & I have been thinking about it ever since.
I know he will not change his mind because of what I say but I think he is wrong.
What do others think?