Gransnet forums

AIBU

shopping trollies

(36 Posts)
aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:39:23

At the supermarkets here , some of them have trollies which need a £1 coin to release , it is claimed back when you return the trolley . I am not too good at the walking and rather than staggering over to the trolley park place I offered my £1 to a shopper who had just put her stuff in her car . I shopped , returned the trolley and what did I get ! A metal Token , not a £1 coin , seriously miffed I am . Am I unreasonable to be miffed ?

henetha Fri 10-Feb-17 10:30:57

Hopefully we can buy new shaped tokens when our pound coin changes shape next month. I always keep a token on my key ring, it's so useful.
Most of the supermarkets around here don't charge anyway,
but Lidl does.
I can understand you feeling a "bit" miffed, but it's not important enough to be "seriously" miffed.

Desdemona Thu 09-Feb-17 15:50:57

It's probably not worth getting in a stew about...but the woman should have at least told you it was a token in her trolley, and not £1 (unless she forgot what she had used - I have tokens usually but often forget them so then I use pound coins.)

sunseeker Thu 09-Feb-17 14:42:42

This happened to me when the woman didn't tell me it was a token but just took my £1. I use the token all the time now and if someone suggests giving me their £1 and taking my trolley I always tell them it is a token - and none of them have chosen to take it!!

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 12:53:32

My token came free from the Information counter at my local supermarket, LeClerc, in France. I can also get a free token from the DIY store.

In England my local supermarket doesn't require a deposit for its trolleys.

Bebe47 Thu 09-Feb-17 10:50:17

You still have to buy these tokens so what's the problem . You have a token to use over and over. It cost you a £1. You swopped a £1coin for a £1 token. Much better value - I bought our Cancer Research charity ones ever since they first came out many years ago - they are clipped to our key rings and have never let us down. . We never have to search for £1 coins. Keep your £1 coins for the car parks.

norose4 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:17:05

Don't blame you being a little bit miffed, but as said you do have the token so that's something. Speaking of trolleys I get really cross in supermarkets where there are trolleys without coin slots, people just leave them all over the place ,even spilling out into the driving area, I straighten them up, perhaps I have missed my vocation in life ?

grannypiper Wed 08-Feb-17 08:59:25

cunco the token wont be much use by next month when the new £1 coin comes out

mumofmadboys Wed 08-Feb-17 08:39:44

Perhaps the shopper momentarily forgot they had used a token rather than a £1?

Cunco Wed 08-Feb-17 08:04:26

Sadly, Aggie, I think this is a self-inflicted miff but look on the bright side, it only cost you a pound and you do have the token.

Speaking of Waitrose, though, my recent beef was the change in local parking procedure whereby I now have to 'validate' my stay in the car park at a new bank of machines. This involves typing in my registration number and flashing a voucher from the shop under a beam to tell me if I need to pay. It seems my local Waitrose doesn't operate its own car park so it's not down to them. I have got the hang of it now but it's yet another performance when I just want to get the groceries and go. sad

MawBroon Tue 07-Feb-17 20:35:26

Trolleys are free at our Waitrose, also at Sainsbury's. It's a long time since I have had to find a £1 coin.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Feb-17 20:23:53

I would have been upset too. There are times when I'm so skint that £1 might be the difference between me being able to buy or having to do without a loaf of bread or a couple of pints of milk.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-17 18:50:44

I always use tokens.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-17 18:50:42

I always use tokens.

mrsmopp Tue 07-Feb-17 17:50:16

???
Aggie, I know love, you are far too nice! Don't lower yourself to their level.
You can't even get a cup of tea for £1 these days, a pound is worth nothing now.
But I can remember when it was a lot of money.

annodomini Tue 07-Feb-17 17:45:41

Someone here once recommended a trolley key available on Ebay. You push it in, it releases the trolley and you pull the key out. Very useful, though it doesn't work with all trolleys in which case I also have a token.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051541.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H2.Xtrolley+key.TRS0&_nkw=trolley+key&_sacat=0

aggie Tue 07-Feb-17 17:11:59

MRS MOPP !!! I couldn't be so mean , I have it on a clip as suggested but never have used it blush

Charleygirl Tue 07-Feb-17 17:09:58

The same happened to me and to crown it all I mislaid the token so I am £1 down!

mrsmopp Tue 07-Feb-17 17:01:52

Perhaps you could do the same thing to somebody else and get your £1 back that way? Might make you feel better....

Lisalou Wed 14-Dec-16 19:50:24

I can see your point, as it is the principle of the thing, really not kind on the part of the other shopper. For some, a pound is a lot of money, particularly if you are really really skint. (I can remember the days, not so long ago, where having to put a coin in the machine meant i could buy less food)
On the other hand, if you dont lose it, it is very handy to have

grannypiper Wed 14-Dec-16 18:14:25

aggie i dont think you are being unreasonable, the lady should have pointed out that she had a token not a coin, the token you now have may be handy next time you shop but it is worthless, so morally that woman was in the wrong as she has just taken a £1 off you and given you nothing in return

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 23:00:20

aggie it is a little clip on the keyring so you can detach the token and put it in the coin slot:
similar to these
www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/trolley-token
other retailers available including charity ones.

ninathenana Tue 13-Dec-16 22:09:53

I have two on my key ring H has one too. I wouldn't give mine up if asked. I tell people "no sorry I used a token" they are too useful to exchange for a coin.
roses I would forget to take mine out of the car tchsmile

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 21:53:27

I keep a token in the car where I can see it ( I would lose it otherwise.)

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 21:52:34

Sorry should have said thanks to Jalima for the tip smile

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 21:50:44

Oh I always lose those tokens , never thought of clipping it in the keyring !