Gransnet forums

AIBU

shopping trollies

(35 Posts)
aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:39:23

At the supermarkets here , some of them have trollies which need a £1 coin to release , it is claimed back when you return the trolley . I am not too good at the walking and rather than staggering over to the trolley park place I offered my £1 to a shopper who had just put her stuff in her car . I shopped , returned the trolley and what did I get ! A metal Token , not a £1 coin , seriously miffed I am . Am I unreasonable to be miffed ?

Elegran Tue 13-Dec-16 15:43:05

But you can use the token next time, instead of a £1 coin, nd carry on using it forever (unless someone else takes it over, as you did) You've not lost anything.

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:44:54

True , but I can't use it when I go to our Seniors club , nor can I slip it to a GS or .......

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:45:37

And they are the devil to get out of the slot !

Pittcity Tue 13-Dec-16 15:45:41

I bought some of those tokens from charities and now no longer have to remember a pound or euro when shopping, so your exchange may not be a bad thing.

Christinefrance Tue 13-Dec-16 15:53:49

Yes you are being unreasonable, you have the token so nothing lost. Can't get hot under the collar about this.

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 16:00:45

Sigh ......... I can get hot under the collar about very little these days hmm

Christinefrance Tue 13-Dec-16 18:56:50

Think positive aggie, glass half full and so on. ( sometimes I annoy myself )

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 19:21:13

Well aggie yes, actually you are right to be annoyed, that shopper has your pound and you have a token for a trolly, useful little things as they are, you can't spend them, and the shopper should have told you about the token (I always do in cases like this) as it means in reality you have lost a pound.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 20:20:59

I expect the person who handed over the trolley is now kicking herself when she remembered she had put a token in there.

DH always asks 'did you get my token back?' if I take the trolley back - it is more precious than any £1 to him! grin

Clip it to your key-ring with one of those clips that undoes easily and you'll never have to search for £1 again.

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 21:50:44

Oh I always lose those tokens , never thought of clipping it in the keyring !

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 21:52:34

Sorry should have said thanks to Jalima for the tip smile

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 21:53:27

I keep a token in the car where I can see it ( I would lose it otherwise.)

ninathenana Tue 13-Dec-16 22:09:53

I have two on my key ring H has one too. I wouldn't give mine up if asked. I tell people "no sorry I used a token" they are too useful to exchange for a coin.
roses I would forget to take mine out of the car tchsmile

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 23:00:20

aggie it is a little clip on the keyring so you can detach the token and put it in the coin slot:
similar to these
www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/trolley-token
other retailers available including charity ones.

grannypiper Wed 14-Dec-16 18:14:25

aggie i dont think you are being unreasonable, the lady should have pointed out that she had a token not a coin, the token you now have may be handy next time you shop but it is worthless, so morally that woman was in the wrong as she has just taken a £1 off you and given you nothing in return

Lisalou Wed 14-Dec-16 19:50:24

I can see your point, as it is the principle of the thing, really not kind on the part of the other shopper. For some, a pound is a lot of money, particularly if you are really really skint. (I can remember the days, not so long ago, where having to put a coin in the machine meant i could buy less food)
On the other hand, if you dont lose it, it is very handy to have

mrsmopp Tue 07-Feb-17 17:01:52

Perhaps you could do the same thing to somebody else and get your £1 back that way? Might make you feel better....

Charleygirl Tue 07-Feb-17 17:09:58

The same happened to me and to crown it all I mislaid the token so I am £1 down!

aggie Tue 07-Feb-17 17:11:59

MRS MOPP !!! I couldn't be so mean , I have it on a clip as suggested but never have used it blush

annodomini Tue 07-Feb-17 17:45:41

Someone here once recommended a trolley key available on Ebay. You push it in, it releases the trolley and you pull the key out. Very useful, though it doesn't work with all trolleys in which case I also have a token.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051541.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H2.Xtrolley+key.TRS0&_nkw=trolley+key&_sacat=0

mrsmopp Tue 07-Feb-17 17:50:16

???
Aggie, I know love, you are far too nice! Don't lower yourself to their level.
You can't even get a cup of tea for £1 these days, a pound is worth nothing now.
But I can remember when it was a lot of money.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-17 18:50:42

I always use tokens.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-17 18:50:44

I always use tokens.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Feb-17 20:23:53

I would have been upset too. There are times when I'm so skint that £1 might be the difference between me being able to buy or having to do without a loaf of bread or a couple of pints of milk.