Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inappropriate present for 12 year old niece

(51 Posts)
Ellie13 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:55:16

AIBU, my sister has given me my 12 yr old nieces Christmas list. One of the things she wants is a box set of The Walking Dead. Frankly I'm a bit shocked, I've watched this occasionally and thought it was very, very violent and explicit, certainly not suitable for a 12 year old. Her parents don't seem unduly concerned, what do other people think?

Elegran Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:13

People getting killed these days is portrayed more graphically, with lots of threatening build-up and close-ups of mangled flesh and gore. It used to be more cartoony and matter-of-fact, "Bang bang, you're dead!".

sarahellenwhitney Wed 21-Dec-16 13:23:56

What I find most strange in this issue concerning the buying of presents is that when you ask some ones mother what to buy their child for a present you then disapprove of their choice.Is this acceptable seeing you asked in the first place and are not that childs mother.?

rosesarered Wed 21-Dec-16 13:30:03

I wouldn't buy it, choose another gift instead ( I don't watch it myself, and thought anyway it was probably rated 18 or at least 15?)
What a gift for Christmas!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 21-Dec-16 13:53:04

Glamanana
It is not unusual for families, especially where there are pre teenagers, to be asked what their grand children or nieces and nephews want for xmas.
Gone are the days when it was an orange,the Beano, Dandy or Rupert books now its tablets, smart phones, PC's and every thing else that goes with 2016.

rosesarered Wed 21-Dec-16 13:55:39

Only if you wish/can to spend so much money sarah I know that we don't, so it's books, cd's and dvd's etc.

Brigidsdaughter Wed 21-Dec-16 14:17:55

As others said, buy something else from the list.

I appreciate people watch this kind of thing at a younger age but it's still horrible. I think if I was the mother I'd have have kept it off the list and given it myself or a voucher.

Badenkate Wed 21-Dec-16 15:18:24

I'm fascinated to know what people think are age-appropriate presents for a 12-year-old?

Gillyanne Wed 21-Dec-16 15:45:55

My 12 year old Niece has asked for a "Sparkly" phone cover , money, gift voucher for clothes and earrings .... but then she is a girly girl.. all of which I'm happy to buy . Certainly wouldnt buy "Walking Dead " tapes .

entropy Wed 21-Dec-16 16:01:10

The people who produced, starred in and distributed "The Walking Dead" along with those who enjoy watching it, should seek help,

notanan Wed 21-Dec-16 16:14:29

What I find most strange in this issue concerning the buying of presents is that when you ask some ones mother what to buy their child for a present you then disapprove of their choice.Is this acceptable seeing you asked in the first place and are not that childs mother.?

I get that all the time! People ask, saying "we want to get them something they actually want" I tell them what the kids actually want, they turn their nose up and say "oh it's not very present-ey" and get something else anyway… I don't get it?

As for the list, I don't see the dilema, just buy something else off the list. Nobody is forcing you to buy that item if there's a list to chose from

Sillynanny65 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:12:18

I am an avid watcher of the Walking Dead and the after show Talking Dead. I would not be happy if my 12 yr old granddaughter was watching this programme. It is very violent and quite scary. My granddaughter is 10yrs old if she was showing signs of wanting to watch WD I would most definetly persuade her not to for at least another four years. I may add for anyone who hasn't watched it it is a brilliant series.

loopyloo Wed 21-Dec-16 17:12:33

My daughter, at 39 , is not happy to watch it when I am around. Thinks it's unsuitable for me. No not suitable for a 12 year old.

FarNorth Wed 21-Dec-16 18:22:33

Young people can enjoy horror and gore in a more detached sort of way than older people, possibly because it doesn't relate to anything they've experienced in real life.
That said, I wouldn't want to give WD to a 12 year old.

Ellie13 Wed 21-Dec-16 19:55:40

Thanks for your input everyone, ? interesting to read all the points of view. Really couldn't feel comfortable buying TWD so picked something else from the list, my sister asked why I wasn't getting it and just said I felt it wasnt really what I wanted my gift to be, she was ok with that and did say shed watched a couple of episodes herself and wasn't sure it was,a good idea either.

bellsisabelle Wed 21-Dec-16 20:47:15

I have never watched it but from what I've just seen from Googling, it is total crap.

Why is total crap so popular with the masses and their children? confused

rosesarered Wed 21-Dec-16 20:52:17

Maybe a crapometer only kicks in later in life! tchgrin
My DGS is 12 and I bought him, clothes, Lego, books and a dvd ( a funny one] and a music cd that he wanted.

Deedaa Wed 21-Dec-16 21:05:19

I probably shouldn't admit this but when DS was 7 or 8 his favourite film was Evil Dead 2 which he found hysterically funny.He and DD have grown up to be nice, normal, non violent people - perhaps because we all watched it together and treated it as a joke.

Do you think the mother of this girl has actually watched The Walking Dead? Perhaps she thinks it's something harmless?

Ana Wed 21-Dec-16 21:20:46

If you read the OP's post of 19.55, Deeda, you'll see that the mother has watched a couple of episodes.

henbane Wed 21-Dec-16 21:51:25

I shouldn't worry too much about it. At her age my friends and I were dolling ourselves up to get into X films. Plus ca change!

Ana Wed 21-Dec-16 22:09:32

X films in our day weren't anything like as gruesome or gory as some of the stuff teenagers watch these days!

henbane Thu 22-Dec-16 00:28:43

Probably not Ana! But in some respects children are less sheltered now, and they certainly know more about the real world. Not that the zombie apocalypse counts as the real world exactly ;-)

SparklyGrandma Thu 22-Dec-16 03:09:32

loopyloo glad your daughter is trying to protect you...I was horrified when I found out my aged mother at 76 was regularly watching Sex In The City.shock blush.

I buy DGD books - some contemporary for young teenagers, and also sent Emma by Jane Austen.

Merry Christmas to those celebrating flowers

jocork Thu 22-Dec-16 10:24:37

I still vividly remember when my DD was still a preschooler I always turned the TV channel over to avoid a particular programme on children's TV which I considered unsuitable in general but particularly for one so young. One afternoon I fell asleep and woke to be informed that she had watched said programme and that "If you fall asleep next week I'll watch it again!" The fact is they will see these things despite our best efforts to keep things age appropriate. That said we shouldn't give up trying to influence what youngsters see and hear!

norose4 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:42:45

Surely it is rated as not being suitable for 12yr olds . Shouldn't that mean that parents should take that in to account before allowing their young children to dictate what they want to watch. Seems like the parenting has gone out of parenting! I definitely wouldn't buy it for my children if they were still that age & definitely would not buy for nieces, nephews or grandchildren , don't be afraid to make a stand ! Best wishes & good luck

Linbrikat Fri 30-Dec-16 12:10:32

Hey Entropy, I love The Walking Dead and I take exception to being told that I should seek help! Most of the violence in the show is directed toward zombies who are already dead so it's kind of comic book violence almost like Tom and Jerry (in case anyone doesn't know, it's actually based on a comic book). It's a brilliantly made show with a cast of outstanding actors and covers all sorts of issues such as how far people will go to survive, and how people can still find love and hope in the most terrible circumstances. Please don't be so quick to judge things you don't fully understand.