Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to think the gifts received by GCs are way toooo expensive and sophisticated ...

(156 Posts)
granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 19:14:53

just another 'gift' thread. What do you think?

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:29:52

What's to contribute?

Yes, you are being unreasonable. There, that's my opinion and if it doesn't 'move the conversation forward' I couldn't give a damn! angry

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:32:34

And actually, what was wrong with my 'why can't they just say no?' post?

grannypiper Mon 26-Dec-16 21:41:43

my stepson has a Mother who tells them weeks before what she is buying them and tells them the price, so since he was little he has told you when asked what he was hoping for I AM GETTING A £200 LEGO SET And a £500 phone ! it is so sad, he never has a suprise on Christmas morning as his Mother lets him have his presents as soon as she buys them because she cant wait

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:42:22

Absolutely jane- but it would be nice if comments added tot he discussion rather than just be personal 'attacks' - how does that make for an interesting thread?

I did respond about 'why can't they just say no' - that unfortunately many parents, and grandparents, just can't say no anymore.

I will just not respond to any unpleasant posts- life is far too short. It is quite possible to disagree, and say so, in a civil manner- some people manage to do that very well.

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:43:07

Thank you grannypiper, for your contribution.

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:44:09

grannyp- I wonder if this happens a lot with divorced couples, trying to outdo each other. And perhaps with sets of granparents doing the same...

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:49:45

I'd love to hear which of my posts on this thread you consider to be 'unpleasant' granjura.

I'm getting rather fed up with your constant criticism.

Elrel Mon 26-Dec-16 22:04:58

Aren't we all a bit too (or even toooo) busy and happy at this time of year to spend time carping about either presents or each others' posts.
New Year Resolutions soon!

Ankers Mon 26-Dec-16 22:09:37

I havent the faintest idea why there cannot be lots of grumpy threads,or lots of any sort of thread.

I cant think for one minute that gransnet are going to complain!

granjura, I would say that I dont know people personally who do that, but I dont doubt that they exist.
I do slightly question whether, now the country is a little more straightened economically, whether it is as true as it was eg 10 years ago.

durhamjen Tue 27-Dec-16 00:41:53

My middle grandaughter wanted us to watch that programme the first time it was on, granjura. She soon stopped watching and started texting instead - not on an i-phone.
I actually can't believe how many people have i-phones, let alone kids.
We were so pleased that rocking horse did not sell.

durhamjen Tue 27-Dec-16 00:47:01

Interesting point, Ankers. Ten years ago was the last Christmas before the financial world imploded. I wonder if many people are back up to the spending of ten years ago.
Those people looking at those rocking horses and dolls houses were certainly not living in straitened circumstances.

Ceesnan Tue 27-Dec-16 08:35:51

My GD has an iPhone - given to her when my DS upgraded to the new model. I should imagine that this is the way that a lot of children get them. No extra expense involved other than a pay as you go Sim card that she pays for using her pocket money. Not quite the subject of this thread, but could explain why, at first glance, it looks as though today's children (or some of them) have it all.

granjura Tue 27-Dec-16 08:53:33

Perhaps the OP was poorly worded too- I didn't mean 'our' grandchildren- but more this generation of youngsters.

We have swung so far to the opposite re discipline, from far too much to far too little, in many cases. And I fear so have we (as a generation) with the one of our grandchildren- because we didn't have much, we want them to have it all.

Just as for discipline, I do think things have swung too far to too much- and that a generation of quite spoilt children, with huge expectations, is being created. I fear for those parents who have to 'compete' and get into debt at Christmas as they just do not have the money to 'keep up' - and the possible bullying that can follow. And yes, I find it sad, but also worrying that our GCs are bombarded with advertising for expensive Christmas toys from October onwards.

You are of course, totally free to disagree. But I am not sure you have to be rude or unplesant about it. Adn if you don't think this thread is 'needed' - just ignore it and be on your merry way. Simple. Merci.

Bbbface Tue 27-Dec-16 09:22:45

*10 year olds in play ground:*

*What did you get for Christmas then?*

*A kite and a pair of rollerblades and a new anorak.*

*What? i got an I-Pad, A top of the range Drône, and the latest Apple phone...*

Don't you see that 69 years ago, some grandparents such as yourself would be bemoaning children receiving the "kite, pair of rollerblades and new anorak", and saying that in their day they were happy with a "a yo-yo, a chocolate and a book"

Bbbface Tue 27-Dec-16 09:25:20

And in another 50 years, and iPad, I phone and drone will no doubt seem very moderate and instead the gifts might be a hover board and similar.

It's what happens as time passes. I'm going to try to avoid being one of those grandparents always harping on about how good the past was and how today it's going to pot. No one wants to hear that when you're 10.

LesleyC Tue 27-Dec-16 09:32:17

Ooh dear, a few hangovers by the sound of the grumpiness on here this morning. Ignore the thread if you don't like the premise of the subject. I think it is entirely appropriate and agree with it.

durhamjen Tue 27-Dec-16 09:32:48

Exccept that 60+ years ago, all we did get were the apple, nuts and a book.

Iam64 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:47:30

Yes, the OP is unreasonable.
Granjura's addiional post at 8.55 adds to the original criticism that somehow the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. To add on criticism that children today lack discipline is imo just to make a Big Moan about everything.

janeainsworth Tue 27-Dec-16 09:51:11

I'm going to try to avoid being one of those grandparents always harping on about how good the past was and how today it's going to pot.

Well said, bbbface. Me neither, I hope.

durhamjen Tue 27-Dec-16 09:56:59

A hand basket's a bit small, Iam. Handcart?

radicalnan Tue 27-Dec-16 10:12:49

I regret the loss of surprises, this getting what you want for Christmas seemed so sensible, when we started to be able to afford choices, now it is the bloody kybosh on surprises.......sad. Kids are turned into clerks ticking off what they received from their list.

I paid for my GC to go and see Santa, they hated him.....but were THRILLED when Elsa, from Frozen visited them at home and read them a story and blew some bubbles......anyone in Reading area with kids that age would be wise to book her, she was great and affordable.

The magic has turned into tick boxes.........grrrrr but we can all avoid it.

It is never unreasonable to have opinions, the alternative is unthinkable.

inishowen Tue 27-Dec-16 10:43:39

We got my grandson a batman robot which he loved, and had asked for. Then he opened a cheap Star Wars light saber we got for a few £ in Tesco. He really LOVED that! It just shows, it's got nothing to do with the cost of the gift.

Nelliemaggs Tue 27-Dec-16 11:01:50

We were quite poorly off, expected, and got, not a lot for Christmas (though thanks to grandparents did better than nuts, an apple and a book) but better off kids got new bikes, train sets or dolls' prams which we only if ever had second hand as and when they became available
I spent £30 per DGC this year on practical presents suggested by their parents and remembered that in the 80s £30 was what I spent on each of my own DCs for their 'big' present, a Playmobil pirate ship for instance, a Lego set, a lower price bike. I have just looked up what that £30 equates to today and it says a bit less than £90 which is about an average price for a bike and also the least you could hope to get away with for a motorised car for a 5 year olds and is a bit less than was spent on my DGC by their parents this year. The children are in the lucky position of having four divorced grandparents so 4 more presents came their way from them.

Electronic gadgets are a whole new ball game and expensive and the oldest of my six has reached the age where her parents feel a mobile phone is more of a protection than a luxury and that is their choice. If a child needs a tablet for homework then no doubt that will be bought, probably by better off grandad. I trust my DGCs not to waver in their affection for me because two of the other three grandparents can afford to buy them the electronic game of their choice.

I am feeling very chilled having stayed up really late last night to restore the kitchen to its usual state after a family get together, dishwasher emptied and yesterday just a happy memory while I enjoy a lazy morning with a mug of tea and a mince pie. I certainly don't feel like criticising anyone for spending what they can on presents at Christmas. If you have it then share it but it would make sense to run it past parents to be sure that it is acceptable. They are the ones I feel sorry for as they have the job of policing what their children are up to on their iPads or game consoles.

Lillie Tue 27-Dec-16 11:59:18

Well I do skunk around in playgrounds and classrooms and I can tell you most of my charges are far less grumpy than some GNs here. wink
Of course there are those children who receive expensive presents and do a bit of showing off to their friends, but their lives move very quickly these days and any resentment is short lived.
As for iPhones, iPads etc, we need to embrace progress and introduce them early. The problem is, as Nelliemaggs said, ensuring their correct usage and warning of the dangers.

Skullduggery Tue 27-Dec-16 12:03:11

For clarification, it wasn't the word toooo that bugs me but the phrase 'way too' instead of far too. I want my DS to learn English and not American English and this is one particular phrase that seems to be used far too often for my liking.
Surely, some of you have pet hates that irrationally annoy you and get in the way of normal conversation, it is it just me? tchshock

Back to the discussion.