Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to think the gifts received by GCs are way toooo expensive and sophisticated ...

(156 Posts)
granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 19:14:53

just another 'gift' thread. What do you think?

Jalima Fri 30-Dec-16 14:19:36

I need chocolate

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 13:40:16

Not even as "double" as all that I am afraid.
Nut ? as in (Cadbury's ) "fruit and nutcase"

Anya Fri 30-Dec-16 13:35:11

Like Roses I'm very naive and miss out on double-entendres. All those 'as the actress said to the bishop' jokes go over my head, and have to be explained.

rosesarered Fri 30-Dec-16 13:24:22

Really? Nuts are nuts surely? What else? ( I lead a very sheltered life.) tchgrin

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 13:05:33

I thought (unworthily) that a different interpretation was being drawn from "nuts"!
Apologies!

Anya Fri 30-Dec-16 12:44:42

You've confused me Daphne I was referring to someone rushing to judgment when they are unaware of the full situation.

And why the blush? What am I missing (nothing new there) confused

annodomini Fri 30-Dec-16 12:18:26

Simplest gifts give the greatest pleasure, I find. I bought two mugs with recipes on them for making cakes in the microwave. Cue mass adjournment of all GC to the kitchen to try it out. GS2(11), an excitable child, was happiest doing a 3D jigsaw of the Eiffel Tower, with me, sorting out the numbered pieces for him. I could no more put the pieces together than build the real thing, but he is brilliant at this type of activity. So I would agree that elaborate gifts probably have more to do with the parents' egos or, parental guilt over not being able to give enough time to their kids. Sadly, time is the present some parents can't spare.

TriciaF Fri 30-Dec-16 11:32:28

grin - Eee gj lass - you certainly know how to put your foot in it!

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 11:24:30

How were you interpreting "nuts", Anya? tchblush

Anya Thu 29-Dec-16 22:42:59

Fools rush in?

DaphneBroon Thu 29-Dec-16 22:16:40

tchgrin not even with a handful of nuts.
Happy days!

Beammeupscottie Thu 29-Dec-16 22:11:35

Did you read that story about Hatchimals? Apparently, some of them are not hatching quickly enough and parents are having to perform "casareans" on them and some come out spouting obscenities; effing this that and the other. You never got that problem with and orange and an annual.

DaphneBroon Thu 29-Dec-16 21:13:32

Maybe Ankers is Ann Kerr in RL.

Ankers Thu 29-Dec-16 20:28:23

No problem.

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 20:24:41

Sorry, Ankers. Anker is a Scandinavian male first name. That's why I assumed you were a man.

DaphneBroon Thu 29-Dec-16 19:49:25

Plus ça change.......Ana tchsmile

Ana Thu 29-Dec-16 18:17:52

granjura and I had one of our usual spats on the same evening she started the thread - we just don't see eye to eye and have entirely different ways of expressing ourselves.

Since then I haven't responded to any of her other posts.

If she has a complaint against me and/or other posters, she is welcome 'report' it to GNHQ. I can only assume she has flounced (yet again) because not enough people were agreeing with her. Ankers, of course, may think she knows differently...

DaphneBroon Thu 29-Dec-16 17:52:55

????

petra Thu 29-Dec-16 17:43:24

DaphneBroon I'm getting a real spooky feeling now: first we had collecting information and now we have she is the only one who has the true full picture
This is beginning to sound far too familiar.

DaphneBroon Thu 29-Dec-16 17:01:07

What "true full picture" would that be Ankers?? confused

Ankers Thu 29-Dec-16 16:57:35

granjura wouldnt need help from anyone. She is the only one who knows the true full picture.

janeainsworth Thu 29-Dec-16 16:37:49

Ankers I don't know how long you've been on gransnet, but the idea of a group of posters accumulating information and running to GNHQ with it in the hope that the moderators will take some sort of action against the posters who are perceived to have hurt someone's feelings, will lead to accusations of clique-forming, victimisation, sneaking to the teacher, and playground politics.
We've seen it all before.

Jalima Thu 29-Dec-16 15:37:09

I'm sure gj will be back as we need updates on Minou.

Jalima Thu 29-Dec-16 15:35:34

I just googled to see what a very rich little girl may have had for Christmas - sorry, it is in the Daily Mail, you need not look if you object!

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4063692/Tamara-Ecclestone-s-daughter-Sophia-giddy-glee-spends-quality-time-granddad-Bernie-Switzerland-family-ski-trip.html

All this very rich little girl seems to want is a stuffed toy leopard such as many children may have had for Christmas - and some quality time with Grandad smile

rosesarered Thu 29-Dec-16 15:28:34

They would have to ignore it in this case though, as it simply isn't true.In any case, I expect that gj will be back sometime soon, even if not on this thread.
I don't agree with the thread title at all , there are no doubt some (few) children like this but that has always been the case ( in the past it would have been state of the art rocking horses, wonderful dolls houses/dolls, large forts and hand painted lead soldiers.) Most children in the UK would get nice but not sophisticated presents.Some poor children very little at all.