Gransnet forums

AIBU

It's not New Years!

(65 Posts)
phoenix Fri 30-Dec-16 00:30:51

Well, yes, it's New Years Eve, followed by New Years Day, but I don't understand this thing of referring to "New Years", as in "what are you doing for New Years?"

Well, for this New Year I'll be staying in, having a quiet night, but as I'm without the gift of foresight, I haven't the foggiest idea as to what I might be doing for future ones!

thatbags Fri 30-Dec-16 13:32:34

Some Scots say yous as well. Regional variations in speech are not something to get in a srptew about.

Just seen how I spelt stew. I think the version up there is better for the purposes of this post smile

grannybuy Fri 30-Dec-16 13:40:17

Never heard it used like that. Quite strange. Perhaps on a par with 'Crimbo' ! Shudder!

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 13:44:59

If youse disnae like the way we speak in Scoatland, youse disnae need tae listen.

Ana Fri 30-Dec-16 13:50:02

Och aye the Noo! (Year)

paddyann Fri 30-Dec-16 13:52:27

I love the regional variations in language we have,my friend posts only in Doric ,its brilliant ,but it can take a wee while to understand ,Yous is perfectly understandable .Anyone remember Stanley Baxters parliamo Glasgow?

RobtheFox Fri 30-Dec-16 13:56:14

Granny23 appreciate your comment about postings getting crossed. Oddly I thought I had better do some checking, too, and it does seem that in some circles "Hogmany" is acceptable but, whatever, celebrate well!. smile

merlotgran Fri 30-Dec-16 14:15:59

I've never heard New Years either.

I rather like fireworks being let off to celebrate the arrival of the New Year even though the dogs are not keen. It's a much better use of them than Guy Fawkes night which now seems to last for a fortnight.

thatbags Fri 30-Dec-16 14:38:28

All my American relations say New Years.

annifrance Fri 30-Dec-16 14:48:56

Pedantry lives!!

Diddy1 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:00:58

Never heard of New Years and no there were no fireworks when we grew up, in fact I dont recall any at New Year until when I left the UK in 1968 they were just on bonfire night 5th November.

garnet25 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:08:50

Hate "New Years" it's just lazy.

Charleygirl Fri 30-Dec-16 16:10:01

Aye Daphne yis is richt.

In my youth I would go first footing with my friends, nowadays I go to bed early with a book and hope that the fireworks do not keep me a wake. I have a feeling that is called old age.

Lewlew Fri 30-Dec-16 17:20:13

This really belongs in the pendant section FFS.
It's from a song that is a classic from 1947 written by Frank Loesser and recorded by dozens of well known artists ever since. The phrasing fits the lyrical structure.

Now lighten up and have some wine tchgrin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Are_You_Doing_New_Year's_Eve%3F

Maybe it's much too early in the game
Ah but I thought I'd ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's eve?

Wonder whose arms will hold you good and tight
When it's exactly twelve o'clock that night
Welcoming in the New Year
New Year's eve

Maybe I'm crazy to suppose
I'd ever be the one you chose
Out of a thousand invitations
You received

Ah but in case I stand one little chance
Here comes the jackpot question in advance
New Year's eve?

Maybe I'm crazy to suppose
I'd ever be the one you chose
Out of a thousand invitations
You received

Ah but in case I stand one little chance
Here comes the jackpot question in advance
New Year's eve?

1974cookie Fri 30-Dec-16 17:30:02

May I say on this Forum to all Gransnetters.
Wishing you all a Very, Very Happy New Year.
May it bring you health and happiness, oh yes, and perhaps a nice lottery win for you too.??.

Elrel Fri 30-Dec-16 17:30:16

Happy, healthy and peaceful days in 2017 - whatever you prefer to call 31st December!?

Lewlew Fri 30-Dec-16 17:40:30

Hear, hear, or here, here, or year, year's! wink

rubylady Fri 30-Dec-16 18:35:52

Happy New Years Folks! grin

For anyone who has a dog who might be scared of fireworks, there are calming tablets which I will be giving to mine for a couple of days, just to keep her from skitzing out at every bang.

I've found alcohol again so will be having a drink (only the one though probably). tchsmile

bellsisabelle Fri 30-Dec-16 18:39:46

It's just short for New Year's Eve or Day. Where's the problem? confused

bellsisabelle Fri 30-Dec-16 18:41:25

And I'm totally fed up with all this business of, "how soon can it all be over?" too. While we're on the subject. hmm

Granny23 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:44:49

A Guid New Year to Ane An' A'

A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An' may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an'a baith great an' sma'
A hearty guid New year.

Chorus
A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.

2. O time flies past, he winna wait,
My friend for you or me,
He works his wonders day by day,
And onward still doth flee.
O wha can tell when ilka ane,
I see sae happy here,
Will meet again and merry be
Anither guid New year.
Chorus

3. We twa ha'e baith been happy lang.
We ran about the braes.
In yon wee cot beneath the tree,
We spent our early days.
We ran about the burnie's side,
The spot will aye be dear,
An'those that used to meet us there,
We'll think on mony a year.
Chorus

4. Noo let us hope our years may be
As guid as they ha'e been,
And trust we ne'er again may see,
The sorrows we ha'e seen.
And let us wish that ane an'a'
Our friends baith far an' near,
May aye enjoy in times to come -
A hearty guid New year!

Annierose Fri 30-Dec-16 18:48:36

well, I do wish everyone a good New Year, even if I ask what they are doing for 'New Year's' meaning the 31st.
I grew up in area were there were a lot of USAF bases. DH has occasionally pointed out that he has heard me use Americanisms since we met in the 60s (and they wouldn't have come from TV)

NanaandGrampy Fri 30-Dec-16 22:09:30

My Gran always called it Old Years Night and then New Years Day.

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 23:24:57

Another one for " Old Year's Night "as in my post earlier today (13.01!) Didn't know you were a Scot N&G!! smile
As for "A guid New Year tae ane an a' " granny 23, my late father used to maintain the second line should be
"And money may ye see!"
Wishful thinking ?

Legs55 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:47:34

I'll be sitting at home on my own as usual - haven't celebrated since my DD was little & she's 36 now.

Fireworks all around I expect, no dog to worry about but a cat who doesn't care, he goes out as normal - no fear. I find this strange as normally loud noises frighten him, dustbin lorry terrifies him even when he's in his "sanctuary" (on snuggle fleece on my bed)tchconfused

thatbags Sat 31-Dec-16 08:17:26

Just for the record, Judith Ralston, Scottish weather reporter/forecaster (with a beautiful voice; listen to her if you can) says: "Happy Hogmanay and Ne'er day".