Gransnet forums

AIBU

I think they are so annoying

(69 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 05-Jan-17 23:37:54

AIBU to absolutely hate squeeze bottles why can't we have everything in glass like before I have just wrestled with a honey squeezy that just doesn't want to give up its contents what's your least liked kitchen item

Bijou Fri 06-Jan-17 10:41:44

Lucky girl. I too have a Brabantia opener bought in Spain 30 years ago and am pleased to hear it is still being manufactured. Wouldn't be without it. I have trouble with opening cans and often resort to the old dangerous opener I had when married 70 years ago. I use that to release the pressure of jars. Ring pulls are another challenge so upend the can and use my old opener.

grandMattie Fri 06-Jan-17 10:42:58

I do the same *boggles". Always works.
I can't open the "press and turn" thingies. I really struggle - arthritic thumbs...
floor there is a gizmo from lakelands that does ringpulls. Never wear my meals now! grin

sue01 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:46:54

Oh I absolutely adore Golden Syrup tins.... they're a work of art typographically !

Bovril jars I rinse out and use the gloop for gravy.

kathyd Fri 06-Jan-17 10:57:54

I don't throw out the marmite jar when it's finished but keep it till next time I'm making a casserole and then I rinse it out with hot water and add to the meat.

kathyd Fri 06-Jan-17 10:59:21

x-posted with yours Sue01

Craftycat Fri 06-Jan-17 10:59:55

Never mind in the kitchen- it's the bathroom that gets me! Moisturisers, eye creams etc. in tubes that have at least a week's worth left at the end. I always cut the end off & use every last bit.These things cost a fortune so they should make it all easily available but of course they want you to buy it again quickly. Not me!
Same with hair products & shower gel etc. plus the toothpaste gets a thorough squeeze until it gives it last drop.

felice Fri 06-Jan-17 11:03:56

DGS got a Train engine to add to his set from Santa, it took DD and I 20 minutes and a Stanley knife to get it open.
Why,,,, it is just a little wooden train ??????

Nanna58 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:18:49

Not with you on your view of the golden syrup tins Sue01, as a child that picture on them of the dead lion with the flies buzzing round him used to give me the creeps!

Lilyflower Fri 06-Jan-17 11:40:10

The Lakeland jar opener is magic, I agree. Otherwise I have to find a man to get the tops off for me.

Esabeautuppence Fri 06-Jan-17 11:40:15

Try putting it in the microwave to make contents runny, works a treat, short time only.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:41:03

I never buy squeezy bottles by choice. I find the plastic bottles of toilet cleaners with child-proof pads that you squeeze to "unlock" and turn the cap to remove it almost impossible to squeeze hard enough.

I bought a Brabantia gadget years ago that opens jars and bottles of various sizes. If I was more computer-savvy, I'd take a pic and attach it.

It has various "rings" of different sizes that grip the the cap/lid.When you find the best fitting ring, you squeeze the handles together to grip the item and turn. You have to be careful with thinner plastic caps in case the gadget tears the plastic open.

Maybe Brabantia still make these. Wouldn't be without it.

Lupatria Fri 06-Jan-17 11:55:12

rambling rose, i've got one of those brabantia items although i never knew it was made by them!
my grandaughters call it "gadget" as it's so useful to open jam jars and even pop bottles when my arthritic thumbs fail me.

marpau Fri 06-Jan-17 11:59:02

Nana58 the syrup tin does not have flies on it they are bees. Based on a tale about Samson in the book of judges and the famous quote "out of strength came sweetness."

annifrance Fri 06-Jan-17 12:06:19

British packaging is a walk in the park compared to French. And it has three extra layers to get through!

JackyB Fri 06-Jan-17 12:10:09

As Peter Cook once said : "Life is like a tin of sardines, there's always a bit left in the corner that you can't get out."

nipsmum Fri 06-Jan-17 12:46:05

I don't have too many problems with squeezy bottles. Golden syrup is so much easier in a squeezy. I wish they did treacle in this kind of bottle. So much easier and cleaner to use and measure for recipes.

Yorkshiregel Fri 06-Jan-17 12:50:51

I have a bottle opener gadget which gets round the problem of losing my grip with arthritis. Works a treat.

There is too much packaging with things these days, and it all goes in to landfill which is not good for the environment. That is my main gripe. Take a box of biscuits which we got for Christmas. They were in a box, inside was a plastic tray, each biscuit was wrapped in foil, and each tray was bound in plastic. Nice thought but too much wrapping.

Elenkalubleton Fri 06-Jan-17 13:26:53

Turn jars upside down and poke a knife under the rim,let's the pressure out.Lid comes of easily.Ive bought a battery operated tin opener only this week from Lakeland.

namo Fri 06-Jan-17 13:27:26

I couldn't get the tops open on Boots own brand vitamins tablets. So I took them to local Boots store and spoke to manager. He showed me a trick - you get a small strong elastic band, wind it round the top (usually goes twice round) then turn to open. Tahdah. It usually works. I use it on bottles of spring water, etc.
The problems with packaging need to be addressed but it's not considered as a big enough issue, even though many of us struggle daily.

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 13:40:57

And the lion on the syrup tin is not dead! shock

Rosina Fri 06-Jan-17 13:43:59

boggles - that is such a good idea; I had that passed on to me and it works every time. The only thing I would say is to be mindful of the shape of the jar or bottle - I gave a jar of sundried tomatoes a neat tap on the tiled kitchen floor. The lid loosened at once but I had also cracked open the 'shoulder' of the jar - it took a whole kitchen roll to mop up the oil!

TriciaF Fri 06-Jan-17 14:03:09

For stiff jar lids I usually jab a sharp knife through it to release the vacuum.
Husband doesn't approve - he keeps all empty jars with lids for his nails and screws etc.

Gaggi3 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:33:24

I tap side of jar lid on back doorstep to release pressure. Also have a rubber mat thing to help grip. Sometimes have problem with ring pull cans ( cat food)when I use the handle of a wooden spoon as a lever.

BlueBelle Fri 06-Jan-17 14:50:34

I jab lids with a knife use the door jam for stubborn bottle tops etc but squeezy bottles are awful I think because my kitchen is cold (8* today) the honey etc isn't as runny as it should be so needs a really hard constant squeeze and all squeezy jars have necks that the stuff gets stuck behind and knives won't go in so I cut the plastic in half to get to it and that's not as it should be a nice glass 'jam jar' type is what I need

Carol1ne63 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:57:53

I must try the microwave idea wildrose. I usually cut off the bottoms of the squeezies and scrape the contents out.

I hate jars that I can't open and juice cartons that you have to cut the corner off and then the juice squirts all over the table when you pick the carton up.