Gransnet forums

AIBU

I think they are so annoying

(69 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 05-Jan-17 23:37:54

AIBU to absolutely hate squeeze bottles why can't we have everything in glass like before I have just wrestled with a honey squeezy that just doesn't want to give up its contents what's your least liked kitchen item

callgirl1 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:05:34

Marelli, I`ll look at the next Betterware book I get.
Luckygirl, I have one of those, don't know if it`s Brabantia, my daughter gave it to me, but I can`t get on with it.

Legs55 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:42:18

I have a jar/bottle opener, problem is I can't squeeze it hard enough to use effectively. If you pierce lids on jars contents will not keep as well.Thin lids are a real problem as jar opener slips off. Rubber band trick I've used for years, first came across that as a tip to opening nail varnish bottles (about 45 years ago). Most plastic "squeezy" bottles are great especially if you can get top off to get last bits out. All plastic is re-cycleable as is glass. Marmite jars I rinse out with hot water to use in casseroles.
Bleach bottles are impossible for me to open (weak wrists/grip & arthritic thumb)

Elegran Fri 06-Jan-17 17:48:00

It is not just turning a lid that it is determined to stick, it is holding the body of the jar in my other hand, which can't grip hard enough to keep it from turning too. Those sheets of rubber are no use then. And some jars are too big, so I've even less grip.

Morgana Fri 06-Jan-17 18:04:11

Have had prob opening soluble aspirin s in those blister packs. Now buy bottle of them if I can find them! Also problem switching on sat nav and lakeland drier as I just don't have enough power in thumbs.

carerof123 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:18:14

Put hard to open jars tops in the hinge part of a door close the door onto it and twist the jar. The top is held fast and the jar comes away, my dear old mum taught me to do this and it works every time

Funnygran Fri 06-Jan-17 21:07:24

craftycat I too hate wasting face creams, hand creams etc in plastic tubes and cut them in half. But the cream then dries up before I've finished it. Next time I will scoop it out into a small jar with a lid which will probably be a messy business! So annoying.

Victoria08 Fri 06-Jan-17 21:21:03

Ditto Bleach bottles. Sardine tins.

I can never ever pull the lid straight of.

Ready made soup cartons. Thank goodness milk containers have changed.

Deedaa Fri 06-Jan-17 21:43:34

Jar lids that have rounded sides so that my ancient jar opener won't work on them.

mrsmopp Fri 06-Jan-17 21:44:28

I struggle with tin openers these days. I squeeze the handles together to puncture the tin, then I cant turn the flat bit round as I haven't got the grip. Must try one of those electric ones when I remember to look for one. Lots of tins are still not ring pull. Beer was first, well it's still a man's world isn't it...

Jennylynn Fri 06-Jan-17 22:37:17

Plastic bags containing food that will not separate at the top and then splits down the side is very annoying.

Irenelily Sat 07-Jan-17 12:34:41

I have a plastic gadget for ring pulls - n ever fails. Got it from Keeneze. - are they still about? Lakeland probably do them. Glass jars - upend them in a small bowl of hot water. Leave for several mi notes. Glass and metal expand at uneven rates ( thanks science teacher years and years ago!) the jar will then open easily)

Bijou Sat 07-Jan-17 13:53:59

Rambling rose. The Brabantia gadget is still manufactured. See Luckygirl's link. It is also useful for opening bleach bottles.
To get the most out of hand cream and toothpaste tubes you have to cut off the top.

pollyperkins Sat 07-Jan-17 14:15:13

For glass jare with metal lids, hold them under a very hot tap (expands the lid but not the jar) then use a tea towel to grip and it comes off easily. Works for me. Jabbing with knives sounds really dangerous to me, and the door hinge method damages the edge if the door, Ive found.

pollyperkins Sat 07-Jan-17 14:16:39

Sorry Irene lily I didnt see your post. I was a science teacher and used to teach that to children too!

rockgran Sat 07-Jan-17 14:44:04

I hate the last bit of ring pulling when it flicks the contents around - especially fish tins. Even a drop of smoked mackerel juice is smelly!

grannylyn65 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:43:34

Be Very Careful with microwave, my honey plastic bottle literally exploded !!!

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 19:44:03

I bash around the edge of the lid with the back of a knife and it usually works! I knew about the hot water method and sometimes use that.
I open sardine tins with a ring puller over the sink
Just threw away about a quarter of a squeezy bottle of honey because it had gone sugary so I am back to proper glass jars again now.

I've also got a little rubber 'mat' that is a gripper for opening jars etc.

here are some ideas I just found:
www.completecareshop.co.uk/kitchen-aids/bottle-and-jar-openers/?gclid=CMbXlLXlsNECFVRAGwodJIUGGg

NanaMacGeek Sat 07-Jan-17 22:39:12

I discovered this gadget years ago. It always works for me although my Mum never got the hang of it.
www.completecareshop.co.uk/kitchen-aids/bottle-and-jar-openers/baby-boa-bottle-opener
I find large jars more difficult to open though as I have small hands. I find that the Boa can be used on larger jars if I turn them on their sides - it can be a bit messy then but you have a lot of control using the Boa and can give the lid enough of a turn to loosen it rather than take it off completely. For ring pulls, I always use a vegetable peeler which has a pointed but not sharp end and is 'V' shaped so it is strong but slips under the ring and lifts it gently. I agree that bleach bottles with their child-proof tops can also be granny-proof as well - some makes are better than others for ease of opening.