Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos

(118 Posts)
Hildagard Fri 06-Jan-17 15:18:55

What do Gransnetters think of tattoos? My eldest daughter is covered in them, ☹️ I find it hard to see beyond them, one small discreet one is acceptable but these are all over, very detailed, very artistic but..........why Can any of you explain the need?

Teddy123 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:37:34

I often surprise myself by admiring someone's tattoo. One of the stylists at the salon has an entire arm covered in the most beautiful artwork.

Yet I threatened my kids that they would be 'out of here' if they ever got one (or any piercings). They didn't!

Anya Sat 07-Jan-17 15:49:45

What a clever idea Felice - to cover a bad scar.

Daisyboots Sat 07-Jan-17 16:14:35

I think some tattoos are beautiful and works of art but I wouldn't have one. My DH had a dagger and his name tattoed on his arm when he was 18 and in the army. It was a rite at the time. Over the years it had faded and a couple of years ago he had a black eagle tattoed over it. I must admit it is quite impressive. Plus he had a 3D looking scorpion on the side of his leg. Some of my children have tattoos and some don't and the same with my grandchildren. It's live and let live on my opinion.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 07-Jan-17 16:25:04

I think they are horrible things and I haven't ever seen one which looks nice.
I don't understand why people have them done in places where they can't actually see them? What is the point?

Hildagard Sat 07-Jan-17 16:46:45

Gosh I did get a lot f feed back, very interesting comments.Thanks

varian Sat 07-Jan-17 17:12:25

At one time you never saw a woman with a tatoo and tatooed men tended to be either ex-servicemen, sailors or criminals.

In the 1970s I had a job which involved visiting a prison. Most of the inmates were tatooed. One who was not told me that he was a professional criminal, always had been, and he rather resented the fact that some of his fellow inmates did not regard him as a bona fide villain because he had no tatoos!

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Jan-17 17:15:50

Tattoes are now used very cleverly after breast surgery ( for breast cancer) to replace the areola around newly constructed nipples.

Lilyflower Sat 07-Jan-17 17:17:05

I have a horror of body defacing of any kind and am really upset if I see larger tattoos or piercing other than ear lobes. It is something I have tried to get over but I think it must be just visceral.

Hildagard Sat 07-Jan-17 17:26:08

Mumofmadboys, this is a brilliant use of tattoo, a friend has had it done after her reconstruction

Peaseblossom Sat 07-Jan-17 17:40:55

I detest tattoos. I think they're hideous. They look common, tacky and cheap. My younger daughter's partner has some and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with some, but I'm hoping she won't. Can't understand why people mutilate their skin like that. My daughter and her partner both have flesh tunnels in the ears which I think are absolutely horrendous. I think he's only got it in one ear, but my daughter has them in both ears and I've noticed recently that they look a bit bigger, so of course she can no longer wear pretty earrings or matching earrings and necklaces. AAAAAARGH!!!!!! I remember sometime ago she said people say about tattooed people what will they look like when they get old with all those tattoos and she says "awesome"! Awesomely disgusting and repulsive more like, with saggy wrinkly skin and the tattoos looking faded and blurry.

judylow Sat 07-Jan-17 17:55:12

I don't like them either though, as others have said, a small one somewhere discreet is OK. One of my daughters had one done on her back against my advice and did regret it later, but at least it is covered.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 07-Jan-17 17:57:13

Im not a fan of them either. Sister had a tigger tattooed on shoulder blade quite a few years ago. When she got married it looked bloody awful. But I guess it goes with a persons lifestyle choices and some of them really are a work of art. Just not for me.

NotTooOld Sat 07-Jan-17 18:04:29

I'm not keen although each to their own. Didn't David Beckham start all this? Although why a handsome man like DB would want to cover himself in tats is beyond me. Perhaps Posh likes them.

rockgran Sat 07-Jan-17 18:20:00

I loathe them. I don't understand why anyone would mutilate themselves in such a way. Also it is painful - life is painful enough without looking for more!

MTDancer Sat 07-Jan-17 18:54:39

I don't like them. My daughter is covered in them and my son has a one on his arm that he can cover up if needs be. I often wonder what jews make of them. I think the really colourful ones often clash with what people are wearing and can spoil an outfit.
My DH and I often wonder if we are the only people not to have one.
On saying that, it is up to the individual.

Grandmama Sat 07-Jan-17 19:29:06

Are tattoos an 'English' thing? Do other Europeans have tattoos? I think they are called the Anglo-Saxon rash. When I see them all over people I feel physically repulsed. When I was working one of the men had them all over his arms, I was actually relieved that I didn't have much to do with him. DD1 had one done on the small of her back, it rarely shows, only if her jeans and top part company when bending over. She has never mentioned it to me nor me to her.

Maggieanne Sat 07-Jan-17 19:50:23

I've often thought Beckham was one of the first to have tattoos, but I'm sure his wife has never had any! In Eastern Europe, I believe that tattoos show which criminal gang you belong to. Hideous things though. My DIL had a small one, the initials of a FOOTBALL CLUB of all things,she then decided to have it removed. It cost a bit and was painful, but, shhh, I don't know about this because she always covered it when visiting. I don't think her mum and dad knew either! Silly beggar

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Jan-17 19:58:55

Just think if we had all had tattoos our kids wouldn't have had them at all!! Perhaps our GC will have less if their parents have them! My mum didn't talk to me for two days for having my ears pierced when I was 19!

Anya Sat 07-Jan-17 20:05:49

Victoria Beckham has had tattoos. One went from the base of her head down her back.

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 20:21:41

Tatts seem to be the in thing.I don't like them, and don't know anyone who has them, but each to their own.
For our generation, we aspired to a better way of life, and I don't know about anyone else but shoes that hadn't been cleaned brought out gasps of horror from my Mother, never mind tattoos! grin

Evenstar Sat 07-Jan-17 20:32:40

I actually like them, provided they are in places that can be covered should you need or want them to be.
They can be incredibly artistic and beautiful.
I have four small ones and have never regretted having them done.
smile

soldiersailor Sat 07-Jan-17 20:57:12

Even those that the owners consider to be tasteful and elegant are, in my view and almost all of my friends' opinions... tacky!

entropy Sat 07-Jan-17 21:23:32

Tattoos are an obscenity. The 'Artistes' should be drowned in their own ink or locked away so that they can do no more harm,
having been found guilty of crimes against humanity.

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 21:26:46

Charming! hmm

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 21:32:04

Grandmama, no, tattoos are not an 'English thing'. I know for a fact that some Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people have them too - shock horror!