Gransnet forums

AIBU

my 93 yr old mother insists on driving !

(168 Posts)
topsyturvey Mon 06-Feb-17 12:07:54

I am 65yrs old and my mother is just turned 93. She is a very very determined and independant old lady and can be very difficult. She also has macular degeneration but seems to have held on to her licence. She drives locally all the time and has never had an accident other than bumps on her car, but
I last drove with her as a passenger about 3 yrs ago and I was PETRIFIED! She drove her tiny Kia at 80mph down the motorway and when she took the East sliproad out on to the A30, not the West, she backed up the slip road and did a 3 point turn to get off. I got out of the car and was furious and thoroughly frightened. She told me I was a hysteric!
I am going down to visit her next week and unfortunately looks as if my DH will have to take the car for a couple of days and leave me without it. My mother wants us to have a day out to a small rural town in Devon about an hour from where she lives, which is also in a country area but involves some motorway driving.

I suggested that I drove her car when I came down as it was quite a long way , but she wouldnt have it at all and said it was her car and she would drive and anyway I wasnt insured to drive it. I think I am as I have my own insurance, although it would be 3rd party only; her car is not valuable so if in the very unlikely event I did have a prang it wouldn't be a disaster. and its already got loads of little dents!
I really dont want to drive with her again as a passenger and am thinking of making an excuse to visit her at a later date when I have my car. And even then, she is likely to say that we take her car and she will drive.
Am I being unreasonable or a coward !?

Luckygirl Thu 09-Feb-17 13:56:10

"Ageist a=enda" - I think you will find that my posts are about poor and irresponsible drivers and not about age.

Luckygirl Thu 09-Feb-17 13:56:26

"agenda"

Mair Thu 09-Feb-17 14:04:33

Then why focus on the OPs mum while ignoring the really dangerous drivers?

Araabra Thu 09-Feb-17 14:06:42

Because tt asked the question, not other drivers.

Badenkate Thu 09-Feb-17 14:06:56

Because that's what the original OP was about. You seem to be taking this very personally Mair.

Luckygirl Thu 09-Feb-17 14:11:56

Indeed the original query was about a particular person who just happens to be old. It may be that statistically 93 year olds in general are not very likely to have accidents, but this individual is considered to be unsafe and that is what is being addressed.

NfkDumpling Thu 09-Feb-17 15:17:34

I think the main problem with topsy's mother is not her age or health, but more her state of mind. She's a girl racer who thinks she has right of way in any direction. Re-education is what is needed but I fear that she would neither accept it or believe it!

I used to know a lady who sounded very similar. Nobody dared cross her. She was killed when a lorry was driven into the side of her car when she driving out of her close onto a side road. We were all shocked that someone had the temerity to do such a thing! She was 96.

pinkmink Thu 09-Feb-17 17:58:04

The 87 year old granny who lived with our neighbours drove an oldish car and although she was fully compos mentis her driving was quite dangerous and erratic. Overnight her car was 'stolen' which brought up the question of whether she really needed another car. The 'theft' worked a treat and all parties lived safely ever after! ?

GillT57 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:09:13

The question by OP was about how we think she should tackle her Mother who terrifies her family with her dangerous driving. I fail to see why Mair keeps getting so worked up about young drivers, that is not the subject here, nor is overseas drivers ( millions? really?), beside which, when was the last time any of us had to sit a driving test to drive a car in Europe or USA or anywhere else, or are we assumed to be ok because we are Brits? Let's keep this away from politics, and just answer the question that was asked, and give advice for what was asked.

Stansgran Thu 09-Feb-17 20:03:07

You see we are told the poster's mum is sharp as a tack. Except when I was first driving on a motorway I would say to myself that for every exit road there is an entry road so I would be prepared to mirror signal and move over if necessary. So if I shot off by accident on the wrong exit I would know that if I carried on I could just get on the motorway again. I don't know that particular motorway but generally if you are sharp as a tack you do that. IMO she should not be driving. And I totally agree with Mair over foreign drivers. We have many foreign students here who don't seem to have driving skills for the uk . I still remember one Iranian wife ( pre Ayatollah days ) who could "drive"- a lot of it on the pavement.

Mair Thu 09-Feb-17 21:20:33

I fail to see why Mair keeps getting so worked up about young drivers, that is not the subject here, nor is overseas drivers ( millions? really?), beside which, when was the last time any of us had to sit a driving test to drive a car in Europe or USA or anywhere else

I am not 'worked up' about younger drivers. I am simply pointing out that those 'worked up' about the risks allegedly posed by elderly drivers clearly do not undertand risk and th fact that some other driver groups are more of a danger than elderly drivers.

Re foreign drivers. I think while we have to accept a foreign 'qualified' driver who is only a visitor, once they become settlers, or students who are here for say more than one year they should have to pass our test.

There are several reasons, driving on 'wrong' side of road, understanding of signs and rules, and the fact that our roads are far far more congested than most other countries. Many foreigners in this country dont even realise they musnt cycle on the pavement!

Mair Thu 09-Feb-17 21:23:50

Re-education is what is needed

There are many bad drivers like Topsys mother. Unless the police catch them doing something bad they get away with it. If she gets caught speeding she'll get points and that'll larn her won't it?

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Feb-17 07:44:40

Or a Drivers Awareness Course. The one I went on was excellent!

Izabella Tue 07-Mar-17 19:01:57

And in the news today. Two women killed by elderly driver outside a hospital In Manchester. The 89 year old driver has been arrested and remains in custody.

Luckylegs9 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:26:11

If she has eye problems and that n itself is dangerous and doing things that put other road users at risk, I would tell her in no uncertain terms that if she continues she will end up killing someone. She us 93, my beautiful 17 year old granddaughter passed her test two weeks ago, it makes my blood go cold to hear of such selfish people, she has to be told. There is no excuse for her poor driving whatever age, in fact she above anyone should nknow better. she knows right from wrong I have absolutely no sympathy and if she doesn't stop should be made to.

grannypiper Thu 09-Mar-17 07:53:38

I cant believe my DF has had his licence re-newed. He has been having dizzy spells for the last few months that his doctor is investigating, his eye sight is bad and his memory even worse. My brother spoke to the Doctor months ago and told him my dads driving was a problems as he has had 4 accidents this year yet the Doctor still says he is ok to drive.Thankfully my DH always get the car ready for its M.O.T and between him and the mechanic who tests it they will make sure it fails as DF has said this is is last car.

TriciaF Thu 09-Mar-17 12:24:33

Izabella - that's a very frightening story. Since my accident last year that kind of scenario has been giving me nightmares.
If Topsy is still here, (from Feb.), I wonder what happened with her mother?