Gransnet forums

AIBU

Who really gets up your nose ?

(106 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:10:56

Every time I see Caitlin Moran's photo she is pulling a funny face. I see the same terrible photo in the Times every weekend and have yet to see her anywhere trying to looking normal . Perhaps she has image issues who knows but I refuse to read anything she writes because it makes me so mad.

Ana Thu 23-Mar-17 19:40:52

I agree that Stephen Fry came across as smug and oily when hosting the QI programme. Nothing to do with his looks - just his attitude and tone of voice.

But I have seen him on other programmes (yes, what was that Norfolk thing - it was ages ago I think?) where he seems completely different. And likeable!

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 19:30:40

But just to judge someone on the way they appear (smug and oily is an example) then that is not acceptable and these people have no right of response
hmm Anya but I doubt any of us know any of the people who get up our nose

And smug and oily could be an opinion formed from seeing someone on television and the way they behave, not just from appearance.

One person's smug and oily could be another person's charming of course!

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 19:26:37

Jayanna9040 shock
Everyone sits all through our DGD's plays, performances and applauds like mad!

How rude!

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 19:25:28

grannysyb smug? self-satisfied? unctuous, saccharine?

Means the same really wink

But I did like him as the lawyer in that Norfolk programme, what was it called again?

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:51:08

People who sit and chat through children's performances at school - until their child comes on! And then get up and leave when their child has done their bit!! Guess where Ive been today. angry

grannysyb Thu 23-Mar-17 18:40:15

Been told off because I called Stephen Fry smug and oily! I wasn't commenting on his appearance but his manner, I just think he seems get pleased with himself.

mrsjones Thu 23-Mar-17 17:39:09

Snobby types. Money snobs and intellectual snobs in particular.

Bobbysgirl19 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:34:48

Keith Lemon
Michael Gove
Tony Blair
Cheryl Blair
Nicola Sturgeon

endre123 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:59:00

WGUMN are women who think they should sound like a man if they want to be "mature".Nonsense, I would rather gather the degrees and experience and keep my "normal" voice

Elrel Sat 18-Mar-17 17:37:57

I shan't mention many politicians as the list may be too long. Bliar (sic) I deeply dislike and Trump I assume will sooner or later be taken to a darkened room for a lie down. By people in white coats.
I thought no one else annoyed me until this morning I heard Rev. Richard Cole yet again pompously pontificating. He seems to be insidiously creeping into so many tv and radio programmes for no apparent reason and for no discernible purpose. Would 'Get thee to a monastery' be an appropriate misquote? A silent order, of course ...

Chewbacca Sat 11-Mar-17 20:46:45

Keith Lemon makes my teeth curl.

grannylyn65 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:30:18

Can't abide Antondec !!!!grin

MawBroon Sat 11-Mar-17 16:57:00

Don't tempt me wink

Beammeupscottie Sat 11-Mar-17 13:30:30

I agree about Caitlin Moran's gurning! But still read her stuff as she writes so well.
I have never liked Matt Damon or Ricky Ger..

"I do not like thee, Doctor Fell
The reason why, I cannot tell"

SparklyGrandma Sat 11-Mar-17 13:08:47

Grandma2013 oh yes Ricky Gervais sadly too....

NOT Tom Jones though, he is lovely grin

Jalima Sat 11-Mar-17 10:26:09

Jonathan Davies's commentaries get up my nose (is that allowed as it's a thing, not a person?).
I'm sure he's very nice in RL although I don't want to meet him wink

Floradora9 Sat 11-Mar-17 09:08:21

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjS36b1jM7SAhWFPxQKHQalAXoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Ftvshowbiz%2Farticle-3153352%2FCaitlin-Moran-causes-stir-pulls-grabs-tummy-book-reading-New-York.html&psig=AFQjCNEq54Dp4h1mqT_xYPxnWCAas4smLg&ust=1489309623984335

I say no more .

Grandma2213 Sat 11-Mar-17 01:20:52

I have always tried not to make judgements on people I do not know but I have never been able to understand what it is that makes my skin crawl about some 'celebrities'. I actually shudder and have to look away when I see them, mainly Ricky Gervais, Tom Jones, Jeremy Clarkson, Daniel Craig, James Corden, David Cameron. I recognise their talents and intelligence but something about them...... (yuck). Others that my brain tells me should make me feel this way don't eg Nigel Farage, Tony Blair, Keith Lemon, Stephen Fry, Donald Trump. Any psychologists out there who can explain?

Cunco Fri 10-Mar-17 12:23:39

Anya: You are inviting me to comment on behalf of men. That is too tall an order as, apart from the obvious, we are very different. Men and women are probably the largest of stereotypes.

I agree that smug and oily is not nice but I suspect it is an honest view of how Stephen Fry comes over to some people. He can certainly play smug and oily very well. I suspect few would doubt that he is intelligent and talented. He is a complex character but one who can, and does, speak for himself.

CaliBoingo Fri 10-Mar-17 10:56:02

Nannanoo - "Orange hell-beast"! grin Oh, I love you for that!

I freakin' adore Caitlin Moran, though. Can't get enough of her!

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 08:34:36

I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from Cunco and I think this thread reflects certain norms now in society. Of course, there has always been that element among certain types of girls, who just judge on appearance before getting to know people.

I'm happy to dislike someone's actions, as these are concrete and actually reflect their true personality, and if an individual is spewing forth hatred then again that is up for comment.

But just to judge someone on the way they appear (smug and oily is an example) then that is not acceptable and these people have no right of response.

Tell me. Do men 'bitch' in this way * Cunco*?

Cunco Fri 10-Mar-17 08:12:46

Anya: I can see where you are coming from but I think I disagree. Of course, people do not know everyone who comes into their lives through the media but they are entitled to their view on what they see. I suspect most people commenting here say what they do, slightly tongue in cheek, in the knowledge that they only see a snapshot of the person. I imagine all the people listed as getting up people's noses here will have suffered much worse comments elsewhere on the net.

I think Gransnet is at its worst when people form an opinion of me from one piece of knowledge and extrapolate it to an entire personality! You could argue that I am being inconsistent but people in public life are in a different game.

I do draw the line when anyone uses stereotypes. That's never good.

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 07:46:35

See - this is where this thread and some of the comments and people contributing get 'right up my nose' hmm because you don't know these people and you're making a judgement based on nothing.

For example, I've met Stephen Fry, twice, and he's a lovely man. Quite insecure in fact and certainly not 'smug' in any way and as for 'oily'!

This thread to me brings out the very worse in some GNetters and shows them up in a very bad light. Shame on the OP especially.

Cindersdad I can agree with your post as it's not personal.

Cindersdad Fri 10-Mar-17 07:23:22

118 - 118
Anything do to with PPI
Amigo Loans
Gambling ads.
MP's who are too afraid to say what they really think.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 09-Mar-17 22:39:08

Jalima I can't explain why a lot of people get up my nose, it's usually just a gut feeling! grin