Gransnet forums

AIBU

Who really gets up your nose ?

(105 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:10:56

Every time I see Caitlin Moran's photo she is pulling a funny face. I see the same terrible photo in the Times every weekend and have yet to see her anywhere trying to looking normal . Perhaps she has image issues who knows but I refuse to read anything she writes because it makes me so mad.

Nona4ever Tue 07-Mar-17 10:35:48

You are depriving yourself of some of the funniest, cleverest, most moving journalism around today. What the hell does it matter if she pulls a face for the camera?
Approving what an author looks like is usually not a prerequisite for reading their work.

Takingthemick Tue 07-Mar-17 11:30:13

Who or what gets up my nose? Grown women who speak with "little girl voices" drive me crazy. It seems to be getting very common with the younger generation. On the TV we get women with brilliant qualifications holding top jobs speaking with soppy voices. They are really saying "don't be nasty to me, I'm so sweet". Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....grow up!

sunseeker Tue 07-Mar-17 11:33:42

Takingthemick I couldn't agree more - I had a friend who insisted on speaking like that (she was a teacher so not stupid) and despite being in her 50s also referred to her parents as mummy and daddy in a particularly soppy voice. Had to break contact with her as I couldn't stand it any more!!

Teetime Tue 07-Mar-17 12:09:51

Oh I hate that false I'm a little girly thing too and mockney voices put on because they think its looks trendy of 'ard'!!! and/or Americanisms e.g. I hung a left not I turned left. Yuk yuk - just speak in your normal voice please.

ffinnochio Tue 07-Mar-17 12:25:35

WHAT really gets up my nose is intolerance.

Lona Tue 07-Mar-17 12:28:43

ffin grin
What gets up my nose, people who live in the past instead of accepting today.

ninathenana Tue 07-Mar-17 13:22:32

Lot's of things get up my nose but the Who would have to be Giles Brandreth

Rinouchka Tue 07-Mar-17 13:26:12

I cannot stand David Walliams.

Maranta Tue 07-Mar-17 13:33:30

I agree with finnochio. smile

Christinefrance Tue 07-Mar-17 13:34:45

Tim Wonnacott, why is he on nearly all antique programmes.

BlueBelle Tue 07-Mar-17 13:38:54

Ronouchka me too ....who the heck is Caitlin Moran ?
Lots of people get on my proverbial anyone who dresses their dogs in fancy clothes and big ribbons and pearls takes them for walks in pushchairs and like a woman on Tv at lunchtime has 'big chandeliers in their summer house'.....DOGS ARE ANIMALS
Silly voices and anyone who is totally self absorbed ( so many now adays)
Woman who call everyonr Hun or babes
Anyone who is precious ' oh I couldn't touch that it might be dirty'
Grrr

Azie09 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:48:50

I hate people who are bossy boots and who, in groups, are always the ones in charge who expect everyone else to meekly follow along!

Ankers Tue 07-Mar-17 13:49:58

Gwyneth Paltrow "concious uncoupling" [why cant she separate or divorce like anyone else] I dont find particularly endearing, but I will live with it! And her!

Anniebach Tue 07-Mar-17 13:56:39

Yes people, they agree on everything just to be 'in'

matson Tue 07-Mar-17 13:57:55

Jimmy Carr and his awful laugh.

janeainsworth Tue 07-Mar-17 14:29:54

Nina I have heard Gyles Brandreth give two after-dinner speeches and met him once in a hotel lift on the way to breakfast, when he made a witty but not unkind remark about one of my friends.
His speeches were brilliantly funny and he had obviously done his homework well because they were apposite and very relevant to the group of people he was addressing.

Well said Ffinn

Rigby46 Tue 07-Mar-17 15:23:12

The OP said WHO not WHAT - that's a different thread if anyone would like to start it rather than being somewhat sanctimonious on this one ( which gets up my nose)

shysal Tue 07-Mar-17 15:31:37

I have to say top of my list is Donald Trump. I would also add Johnny Vegas, Keith Lemon and Katie Price. I am sure many more will come to mind later.

Rigby46 Tue 07-Mar-17 15:37:19

And three cheers for intolerance I say - social progress came about because brave and decent people wouldn't tolerate slavery, exploitation of children and women, slum housing, lack of health care, education, not having the right to vote - I could go on but I guess you get my drift. If you don't like intolerance, perhaps you'd like to define a bit more clearly what you mean by that?

Deedaa Tue 07-Mar-17 15:39:58

Well Jeremy Hunt is way up at the top of my list. What a slappable man! Anyone (usually female I'm afraid) who shrieks a lot and makes a virtue of the fact that they don't know anything. And of course the hideous Katie Hopkins.

jollyg Tue 07-Mar-17 15:54:44

That giles fellow and tops of all is John Humphrys [ Today prog.

Well past his sell by date.

Greyduster Tue 07-Mar-17 16:06:16

Agree John Humphreys wholeheartedly, plus Chris Packham.

Scooter58 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:15:30

Ant and Dec,can't understand the adoration.

kittylester Tue 07-Mar-17 16:24:17

I really like Caitlin Moran. blush And Giles Brandreth. blush