Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be excited about new Aldi opening?

(115 Posts)
chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:36:04

After much delay (don't know why) we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday. I've been rather obsessed with it because of the delays, checking with Aldi website,ringing their head office etc to find out when it's opening! It will probably be an anti climax. What are your favourite Aldi buys?

Harris27 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:28:28

We are getting a new aldi near me the one we do have has very little parking. I've saved quite a bit of money over the last few years which I admit has been tough financially but even as we come out off our blip I'm sticking with aldi I love their cheap fruit and veg and also the quality of meat is excellent I don't buy much house stuff there just as in usually concentrating on food buys,now ever at Christmas got lovely little stocking fillers and their wine and spirits are excellent.

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 08:47:22

I can appreciate why you need the occasional food parcel kittylester that is truly a sad situation to be in - "no proper Waitrose" sad My heart goes out to you.....
Do you think Bob Geldorf might be able to help? grin

kittylester Sat 01-Apr-17 07:10:14

Our Aldi has just be refurbished and extended and is great but now they are planning to open another one which seems unnecessary for a town of 50,000 when we don't have a proper Waitrose! grin

JackyB Sat 01-Apr-17 06:38:34

Here's a youtube link that I've been looking for ever since this thread started, but only just found. I was reminded of it when people were saying that their husbands were always tempted by the special offers in Aldi.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc

sue1169 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:35:22

...do half of my shopping in Aldi..love it BUT the shopping baskets are really very dirty!!....

KatyK Fri 24-Mar-17 12:31:32

Aldi have some beautiful cheap plants but most of the time they leave them outside unwatered which is a shame. If you go when they first have them in they are great.

annodomini Fri 24-Mar-17 12:28:32

I bought a very handy trough with a coire lining last spring from Aldi and had a fine display of geraniums and petunias in it. Nearly time to fill it again for this summer. It's always worth looking at their 'specials' every week.

KatyK Fri 24-Mar-17 12:04:53

We are off to Aldi today smile We will buy wine, cooked meat, fruit, washing up liquid and whatever takes our fancy. I bought a couple of very cheap bags of mixed spring bulbs from there last year and they are flowering beautifully now.

seacliff Thu 23-Mar-17 20:35:35

My nearest is half hour drive away so I pop in when visiting my cousin. Went today, and got their big chocolate bars, rum and raisin is gorgeous. My OH likes the marzipan and chocolate from both Aldi and Lidl, being German they do it well.

I want to get one of the Aldi candles that are meant to be very similar to Jo Malone, but rather a lot cheaper. Apparently people have been buying them and selling them on ebay!!!

etheltbags1 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:18:46

I luv them both, I have and also and 2 lidl stores nearby as well as the usual add a etc. I like to shop around if I have the time

cc Thu 23-Mar-17 17:40:14

I bought some last year Greyduster and found that they are just as good as my £40 John Lewis scales - they have all the same functions. The main difference is that I can't reduce my weight on the Lidl ones by standing right at the front and leaning forwards! The JL ones have a backlit display and the Lidl ones just have black and grey display with no lighting, but I don't think that this is worth the difference in cost.

Greyduster Thu 23-Mar-17 15:28:33

I bought a set of their bathroom scales today. They have a three year guarantee and they record all sorts of wizard things like body fat, water content, muscle mass. Having tried them, I can report that, compared with my old ones, they are very accurate hmm - I think I'll take them back]!! grin.

cc Thu 23-Mar-17 15:28:04

Although I shop online every couple of weeks for things I can't buy at Lidl, I do go there every week now and save a fortune compared with the other big supermarkets. It is all excellent quality as well.

We buy all our fruit, veg and jams there, plus much of the meat especially the "aged" roasting beef. I don't much like their spreadable butter or low-saturate margarine though, in fact I don't find that they are much use for other low-fat dairy either, such as cheese or yogurt.

They're great for food presents. This year the Easter chocolate includes a lamb made from white chocolate and a milk chocolate hen with multicoloured foil eggs - not large enough to make GC sick if they eat it all in one go! They have lovely "posh" gift food at non-posh prices at Christmas, little jars of pate, earthenware pots of various mustard and Christmas bakery specialities. Also large salt grinders full of the fancy pink Himalayan crystal salt for £4.99 - I've seen this sold in fancy kitchen shops for as much as £25, with a little grater.

chelseababy Thu 23-Mar-17 15:10:08

Well it was great if a little crowded! They were giving away bacon baps so there was a queue outside for them. Got in the car park ok though by the time I came out there were queues. The only problem was getting near items because it was so packed. Any way I got two large bags full for around £20 including a bottle of wine to try and their own brand alcoholic ginger beer! I'll be back!

Norah Thu 23-Mar-17 10:06:31

The Aldi near us seems to be staying with cheap prices, the offers are grand. I'm as happy as a figgy shopping Aldi.

travelsafar Thu 23-Mar-17 08:38:10

We are supposed to be getting a store here in Letchworth and personally i can not wait.

annodomini Wed 22-Mar-17 23:20:26

Aldi and Lidl both have far better chocolate than any of our 'native' supermarkets. I have had to bypass the confectionery aisle in our Aldi for the past six months, in order to lose 30lbs! Hot smoked salmon is delicious but the price has just shot up and I have had to curb my extravagance. sad

chelseababy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:10:25

I'm just compiling a list of all the recommendations!

grannypiper Wed 22-Mar-17 20:44:49

Chelseababy Enjoy the opening tomorrow

Marydoll Wed 22-Mar-17 16:39:11

We have a LIDL and Aldi near us. I swear by them and now my daughter raves about Lidl after moving into her first flat. However, my DIL, who lives within walking distant of a Lidl refuses to use it and will only shop in Sainsbury's.
Little does she know that the beautiful, lined, designer looking, knitted jacket I bought for DGD is from there.
Their sensitive baby wipes and cleaning wipes are great. We used to keep packets of them in school. Cheap, but just as good as more expensive ones. My husband and sons like speciality beers and theirs fit the bitt nicely.

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 13:38:58

I think Lidl was rather like that at first Maggiemaybe and people were embarrassed to say that they went in there but it has gone very much upmarket now. However, I still have some relatives who would not eat anything bought in Lidl grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Mar-17 13:19:11

Oh, you lucky people with so much choice locally! I do my big shop online, but like to pootle round the local shops every week as well. As far as supermarkets go, within my 2.5 mile walking range we have Tescos and Co-ops, big and small, nothing else. Though DD2's village has just acquired a Sainsburys and an Aldi, which is handy when I'm with the grandson smile. I love Aldi's olives, prosecco, facecream and chocolate - I'll be buying all our Easter treats there.

When we lived in Hamburg 40 odd years ago (ouch), Aldi was our supermarket and it was awful. Sticky floors and everything in ripped boxes. Much like our local Netto used to be before they wisely shut it down.

Norah Wed 22-Mar-17 12:12:09

I use Aldi often when in Germany, was very pleased when one was built here a few years ago. It's lovely, clean, bright, good offers. Nice car park with plenty of slots.

merlotgran Wed 22-Mar-17 11:21:48

We had a bit of a snobbish response around here as well, ga. The penny finally dropped though. Who wouldn't want to save 30% on their basic shop?

grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-17 10:44:25

Our nearest Aldi is in the city, half an hour's drive, so we tend to shop locally in Lidl. I well remember both my own excitement and the snobbish response by a lot of locals when the shop was due to open. Those same locals who now are frequently to be seen in there! grin