Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be excited about new Aldi opening?

(114 Posts)
chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:36:04

After much delay (don't know why) we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday. I've been rather obsessed with it because of the delays, checking with Aldi website,ringing their head office etc to find out when it's opening! It will probably be an anti climax. What are your favourite Aldi buys?

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 08:50:40

I have two Aldi stores within 2-3 miles now and I like them both, the problem as ever being parking. Fruit and vegetables are much cheaper and of good quality as is the meat. I think that you will save money because I am always amazed at the amount I can buy there for half the price at other large stores. This includes items like washing up liquid and soap capsules etc. I am inclined to look on line and see the reviews for eg dishwasher tablets.

Pittcity Sun 19-Mar-17 09:15:14

The dishwasher tablets are fab as are the laundry products and toiletries.
My downfall is the biscuits, bread and cakes. All so cheap and taste great, it's tempting to buy more......
One tip, don't take a man with you as he'll spend ages at the bargain baskets and buy something unnecessary!

Auntieflo Sun 19-Mar-17 09:15:42

Our town is in the process of being " regenerated" , it's a mess, but, we are due to have an ALDI store. We do have a LIDL, which is excellent, but I am looking forward to trying the ALDI when it opens.

glammanana Sun 19-Mar-17 09:24:28

chelseababy You will love it so will your bank balance it is so good on the purse strings,I buy all my meat and veg there all the cleaning products are first class I've never found fault with anything really,even their ready meals are good and plentyful.As Pittcity says though keep the OH at home when visiting the shop its fatal if they are let loose in the special bargain isles

merlotgran Sun 19-Mar-17 09:24:58

You'll save a lot of money on basics winewink Their dairy products are also very good. grin

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 09:25:12

The Aldis close to me are too small to have bargain baskets but I look on line and have to quickly leave or I could spend a serious amount of money.

Greyduster Sun 19-Mar-17 09:25:55

They are building a new one near to us, and it is BIG!! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Asda have a fairly new store nearby so it is going to put their nose out of joint somewhat. We already have one about the same distance away but as charley says, parking is always a problem. (At the one near DD, they doubled the size of the car park and still struggle for spaces at certain times of the week). I do a weekly shop there, and even though I always have to top it up from the local Morrisons, because there are things I use that Aldi don't sell, it still saves me money. We like their breakfast cereals, meat, fish and bacon joints, but the veg sometimes varies in quality. Washing up liquid is good and I use their dishwasher tabs and have no issues with them, but I know people who don't like them. Some of their Special Buys are very good and they give really good guarantee periods too.

annsixty Sun 19-Mar-17 09:43:54

I used to be a shopping snob until my first trip to Aldi. I was converted on the first visit. Often my weekend veg menu is influenced by the offers for approx 59p.

chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 09:46:42

Thanks for all the tips! Will go in the week when OH at work though he probably wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi!

Daddima Sun 19-Mar-17 10:16:21

We only have Lidl ( my neighbour calls it Lie-dell!) near us, but Aldi near my son sells good stuff. Their Oliver Cromwell gin has won several awards. It is very good.
I also see they are selling scented Jo Malone like candles for about £4. People are allegedly selling them on EBay.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Mar-17 10:21:56

Aldi is fab! Majority of my kitchen ware, pans, scales, serving dishes, chopping boards, even my steam cleaner, are all from the weekly bargain bins. And their knitting wools and pattern books are amazing value. I also buy my GD the little work books with stickers, for learning to write and sums. At .99p each, they're worth having.

KatyK Sun 19-Mar-17 10:28:57

There was a campaign around here to get a proposed Aldi blocked. One of my friends said to me that there was one near her and there were down and outs sitting around the area drinking cheap alcohol which they had bought from Aldi. I was worried. It went ahead and it is great. Nothing like that happened. We are lucky enough to have a Lidl and an Aldi within walking distance. There is a proposal for another larger Aldi about a mile away which is being resisted due to worries about traffic congestion. Aldi is great. Yesterday we bought shrubs and bulbs from there. There is a lot of snobbery surrounding it but it is cheap and most of the stuff is lovely (their steak is heavenly). They also sell some brands now too. Lovely fresh fruit and veg on offer each week. What's not to like?

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 10:30:11

They are both fantastic shops Aldi and Lldl, our Lldl which is closer for me has just been rebuilt and it's really is lovely, beautifully set out modern clean and bright with customer loos Both shops have fruit and veg at such good prices and quality and a 'bake on the premises' bakery that you have to rush past ......the smells ummm
can only say good things about both the companies You ll love it

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 10:38:49

I believe that a Lidl is opening soon within yards of Aldi and B&M so the large Sainsburys close by will be half empty soon and I cannot see it remaining open unless there is a massive price adjustment downwards.

I have found that shopping at Aldi just after the children start school in the morning gives me plenty of parking spaces to choose from. I like to shop in a near empty store, I doubt if management have the same ideas.

tanith Sun 19-Mar-17 10:44:13

Snap Charleygirl we like to go when its empty to 'browse' we love their liver it was so much nicer than anyone elses and guess what , they've discontinued it..and don't forget that huge new Asda will be opening in the next few weeks can't wait for that and the cinema of course.. that's going to be great instead of having to drive out it will be just a very short drive or a few bus stops away...

goldengirl Sun 19-Mar-17 10:45:21

We have an Aldi about a mile away but the parking for the shops - mainly eateries - around it is a pay and display which makes prices higher so I've not been in. We also have a discount shopping centre where you have to pay for your parking ticket before shopping rather than after so I don't go there either! Am I a misery or what hmm?

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 10:50:16

Thanks for reminding me tanith it is Asda and not Lidl opening within a couple of miles of me and yourself. I agree, the cinema hopefully will do well. I would have to drive to the nearest town centre and pay for parking as well as buying a cinema ticket although I believe that there are ways around it.

Teetime Sun 19-Mar-17 10:50:28

Directly in front of my house (but you have to go round the street to get to it) an new Aldi is being built on land that had planning permission for housing when we moved in. we already have a large Sainsbury, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Co-op, numerous convenience stores inc M & S Food. The town needs housing, it didn't need another supermarket but such is the power of these large companies.

Thingmajig Sun 19-Mar-17 10:52:24

We have an Aldi 20 minutes away and Lidl about 30 and both are great. There are plans for a Lidl beside Asda and Morrisons in the main town nearby so we're looking forward to that.
As well as the fruit/veg/meat bargains, there's also the weekly offers to be rummaged through. smile

Christinefrance Sun 19-Mar-17 10:56:53

Aldi represents good value in the main but why are their shops so depressing?

suzied Sun 19-Mar-17 11:03:38

I like both Aldi and Lidl, you can do a whole shop in 20mins. Bulbs, plants, and fresh flowers are great, and the little choc ices are perfect as a grandchild ( and parent) treat!

TriciaF Sun 19-Mar-17 11:05:00

I bought some good quality pyjamas at Aldi once, only 9€ . I'd like some more but the offer was never repeated.
I look at the non-food offers mostly, things like clothes, kitchen equipment, garden tools etc. Same at Lidls.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Mar-17 11:08:45

Depressing Christine? The new aldi store near me is light and bright with wide aisles so no crashing into each other. The staff in Aldi are more "visible " and there's always someone around to ask for assistance if needed. Contrast that to the Tesco stores.... narrow aisles so always a bottle neck in some areas; so few staff on the shopfloor that you have to trek back to "customer service " if you need assistance and our local tesco looks tired and grim in comparison. I don't understand why the pharmacy depth in Tesco is always at the very furthest point from the door either. Don't bother with Tesco if at possible.

Greyduster Sun 19-Mar-17 12:07:55

Can I throw in a good word for their gardening hand tools? They are stainless steel, strong and comfortable to use - and cheap as chips. I am careless with hand tools and have lost some expensive ones in past, so with these if I lose a trowel or a fork, it doesn't bother me so much to have to replace it for one pound ninety nine!