Gransnet forums

AIBU

I had to admire her nerve!

(50 Posts)
mauraB Sun 02-Apr-17 23:56:24

A friend came to visit and when she was leaving she asked if I could lend her some food item she had forgotten to buy.
The next time I saw her was in the supermarket, I was waiting to pay at the checkout, she came up and slipped the item into my basket, saying "Here's the food you lent me". I smiled and thanked her.
What could I say?
I must admit I have had some good laughs over it!

Theoddbird Tue 04-Apr-17 21:43:38

In her head she was giving it back...replenishing your cupboard. interesting thought process she has....

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Apr-17 21:27:39

I generally dont mind dividing the bill equally unless a great deal of strong drink has been taken by others..One thing I have noticed after moving out of London is local friends dont tip...its still ingrained in me that a 10% tip is polite if the service has been good...I have a few times paid most of the tip myself, I couldn't bring myself not to.

In life, I think some people are just,..well tight.

whitewave Tue 04-Apr-17 16:09:02

Nope -can't say it's something that I get terribly worked up about.

LuckyDucky Tue 04-Apr-17 15:37:33

Not sure this thread counts, but I've been on many a group get together (for food and drink, )where all pay a percentage of the bill. It's usually unfair.

I like my food but only quaff soft drinks as I drive. I also
pay my percentage of tips.

Does this comply?

Four years ago the worm turned. I only paid for the
dishes I'd ordered plus the lemonades.

I did pay up where tips were concerned.

Anyone else made a stand at this type of thing?

yggdrasil Tue 04-Apr-17 12:16:14

Many years ago, when my children were small, we used to go on holiday with my husband's family, ie Nan & grandad, sister her husband and their child. Self catering, in a sort of chalet place.
We all were brought food for the week, but it was never actually arranged who would bring what.
Now we had access to a cash & carry wholesalers, so I took coffee & tea, biscuits and crisps and that sort of general supplies.
At the end of the week, whatever hadn't been used was shared round the three families.
Sounds good, doesn't it. But even if there was anything left of my contribution, it didn't come to me, I got the dregs of their cupboards, that they didn't want & hadn't even used at home. and that none of us would have eaten at all. And it was given with such kindness, we have eaten your stuff, you must have this to make up.
Even almost half a century later, I feel the resentment :-)
My ex never actually got what was going on, but I did eventually get us to holiday as a family without them.

dorsetpennt Tue 04-Apr-17 09:19:36

I had a friend who frequently ' left her wallet at home ' and I ended up paying for coffees etc. Twice we went on holiday , she'd spend all her money and I had to sub her for the last few days. She took me out for a meal once to cheer me up. I'd recently had a house fire. Guess what happened when the bill arrived ?

inishowen Tue 04-Apr-17 09:14:25

Reminds me of a story my son told me. He bumped into a mate in the pub and offered to buy him a drink. The mate said "thanks, but I'd rather you gave me the money"!!

maddy629 Tue 04-Apr-17 07:04:01

Maybe she thought she was putting it in your shopping basket. You know what to do next time she asks to borrow something.

rosesarered Mon 03-Apr-17 22:07:52

grin well, you have to laugh, but skinflints never seem to realise that others know what they are doing, they think they are fooling everybody.
Enjoyed reading your posts.smile keep them coming!

eddiecat78 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:30:13

Going off on a tangent a bit - years ago the children at school were going swimming and one child had forgotten her costume. Fortunately I had a spare I could lend her. The child took it home with her and it was later handed back to me by the mother still soaking wet. She said "It was so kind of you - and now you`ve got the trouble of washing it too".

LuckyDucky Mon 03-Apr-17 21:25:07

How many of you have you eaten in a group, then expected to pay a percentage of the bill? This had happened to me so many times, I decided beforehand I'd make a stand.

I sat opposite someone who'd chosen a small cheap dish; she asked if she could taste mine. I gave her a small piece. She asked if she could have more and one of my two poppadums. I said , "No," but gave her half of one. She sulked then successfully cadged from others.

Would you have folded? I worked hard for my salary and we were all gainfully employed.

JuliaSeizer44 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:09:36

On a school trip abroad with 3 other teachers, one of whom had brought his teenage son. The student were off on a free afternoon, and we four adults (plus son)went to lunch together, at a restaurant chosen by the one with the son, who was the group leader. Not what I would normally do-I would buy fruit and cheese at the market instead of wasting money in a touristy restaurant. I chose the cheapest item from the menu, no pudding or wine. The others pushed the boat out. Comes time to settle up, and the leader says - "right, we're splitting the bill 4 ways." One of the others protested that 5 of us had eaten but the boy's father said "But he's just a kid! He can't be expected to pay for himself!" No-one anted to create a scene, so we just paid up. I then had no money left to go to the market to top up my tiny bowl of soup.No-one seemed to notice that I had subsidised their lunch.

Leesa Mon 03-Apr-17 19:26:09

My Auntie in law (if that's a thing?)bought me a expensive tin of luxury biscuits from Marks and Sparks for Christmas.
They were horrid and as they were from Marks and Sparks I took them back as they have a very good 'return' policy.
Marks and sparks told me they could not replace tin as they were from 3 Chrismas's ago!
They was no date but AIL must have known!

mauraB Mon 03-Apr-17 18:39:52

Thanks Christinefrance, I don't know what she was thinking but she could out-smart me any day!

Thanks Christinefrance, I don't know what she was thinking but she could out-smart me any day!

mauraB Mon 03-Apr-17 18:39:51

Bez1989 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:07:05

We used to have step daughter & hubby over for takeaways at our house and also invited them to meet up for meal at a local pub. It was the only way we got to see them In over 10 years and it was NEVER reciprocated. I can't understand the thoughtless attitude of the younger generation. confused

SparklyGrandma Mon 03-Apr-17 18:06:14

mauraB that sounds similar to my experience... an old friend came to stay for a few days...on the first day as we waited for a local bus, it arrived and she said 'Oops, I have got no cash on me'' I said 'Never mind' and handed her a fiver, she paid her fare with it then handed me the change.

It never occurred to her I think - what she had done.

TriciaF Mon 03-Apr-17 17:43:45

All I can say is "£8 for toasted sandwich" shock

retrolady2 Mon 03-Apr-17 17:24:54

Maybe she's as daft as me ... I had to read your post a few times before I realised what was wrong! confused

12rg12ja Mon 03-Apr-17 17:00:03

A friend of mine met me in the supermarket and said I'm so pleased to see you as I've just got these flowers for you,she then went off to pay her bill leaving me to pay for the flowers it wasn't until the next day she realised.! She Di give me the money for them!

callgirl1 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:42:34

She was lovely though!

callgirl1 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:42:13

Many years ago, we hadn`t been married long, my MIL decided to have a party at their house at Christmas. She had 6 children altogether, and quite a few grandchildren, of which 5 were ours, so we didn`t object when she suggested a meeting of all the wives at our house, to decide who was going to bring what. We went all through the long list, bread, butter, sandwich fillings, cakes, biscuits, fruit and jelly, etc., then just as everyone was going to go home, she said "Oh, we`ve forgotten tea, coffee, sugar and milk"! We foolishly thought that she`d provide those!

callgirl1 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:41:53

Many years ago, we hadn`t been married long, my MIL decided to have a party at their house at Christmas. She had 6 children altogether, and quite a few grandchildren, of which 5 were ours, so we didn`t object when she suggested a meeting of all the wives at our house, to decide who was going to bring what. We went all through the long list, bread, butter, sandwich fillings, cakes, biscuits, fruit and jelly, etc., then just as everyone was going to go home, she said "Oh, we`ve forgotten tea, coffee, sugar and milk"! We foolishly thought that she`d provide those!