Gransnet forums

AIBU

I had to admire her nerve!

(49 Posts)
mauraB Sun 02-Apr-17 23:56:24

A friend came to visit and when she was leaving she asked if I could lend her some food item she had forgotten to buy.
The next time I saw her was in the supermarket, I was waiting to pay at the checkout, she came up and slipped the item into my basket, saying "Here's the food you lent me". I smiled and thanked her.
What could I say?
I must admit I have had some good laughs over it!

Christinefrance Mon 03-Apr-17 05:20:39

Brilliant I love it. Did she really not realise ?

vampirequeen Mon 03-Apr-17 07:25:44

Fantastic lol

sue1169 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:39:38

??

nanaK54 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:42:20

I love it - thanks for sharing!

NanaandGrampy Mon 03-Apr-17 08:44:01

Now that made me laugh !!

annsixty Mon 03-Apr-17 09:13:30

I have a friend who never seems to carry money. We were out one day and called in a cafe for a toasted sandwich. As usual when were leaving she produced had plastic and I gave her the approx £8 so she would have some cash. She came back and said they didn't accept cards so could I pay? And then gave me my £8 back as her share.
I also smiled and said nothing.
One evening when I wasn't present she invited son friend back for a drink after an andram performance " as long as anyone else could call at their own home for a bottle of gin. She kindly produced the tonic.

annsixty Mon 03-Apr-17 09:14:47

Some friends !!
Preview Ann, preview.

Sheilasue Mon 03-Apr-17 10:16:05

Dumbstruck.?

GlamM Mon 03-Apr-17 10:16:39

ive been invited to my sil house along with OH for dinner, plus MIL/FIL ( her parents not mine) arrived and was then informed that they didnt have anything in.... So the inlaws and us paid for a takeaway..which they ate and didnt contribute to.. Rude.

greatgranny Mon 03-Apr-17 10:35:43

Oh dear. I once almost did the same thing. Realised just in time, retrieved the item, paid for it and then handed it over. It really was just a blonde/senior moment. Can laugh now.but was very embarrassed at the time.

Humbertbear Mon 03-Apr-17 10:56:47

I took my parents away for a weekend years ago as a treat and on the second night my father went up to the bar, charged the drinks to the bill, and said 'these are on me'!

Babs1952 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:59:14

My Stepdaughter invited us to our GS birthday " It's only tea and cake and will you bring the cake!"

Bluegayn58 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:25:09

We were recently inited out to dinner by some friends at their house. The following week, she suggested that they bring all the food and cook it at ours instead.

I knew what was up, her partner makes a mess in the kitchen and he wanted to try ours out! It also meant using all our untensils, crockery and probably wine.

I said no.

grandMattie Mon 03-Apr-17 11:34:09

Yes! I have lots of people like that. "Shall we go out to a picnic, bring the food as you cook so well!" Hmmm.

michellehargreaves Mon 03-Apr-17 11:38:35

My late BiL would frequently ask us over for a takeaway; we would collect en route and he never remembered to pay his share. If we ate out, he would always make his way to the loo just as the bill was coming and was always in the loo if it was his round. Oh how we laughed (not) he was much older with a great job in television and we were newly married and had been students until our wedding day!

Llamedos13 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:38:54

Friends of us ours invited us and four other couples for a New Year get together,he suggested we could all order a takeaway and he and his wife would provide the alcohol.At the end if the evening he told us how much we each owed for the food then when I got home and did the math I realized he hadn't paid his share.Another time he turned up at our house for dinner and presented us with an expensive bottle of red wine.When my hubby went to open it he realised it wasn't sealed,the cheap so and so had refilled a fancy bottle with his own home brew! Some folk are just plain cheap

Womble54 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:58:22

Michelle Hargreaves, my late father had a friend like that - whenever it was his round he'd go to the toilet. How to lose friends and alienate people! If he had any other friends he wouldn't have kept them for long. Also, my ex-mother-in-law had a caravan in Wales. She had a friend who knew a lot of people she could interest in renting it out to, so they decided to do this and go halves on any profits. At the end of the season the "friend" split the profits in half, and took all the expenses out of my MIL's half, keeping the other half intact for herself. My MIL didn't speak to her for many months until she realised, and then they sorted it out properly.

Emelle Mon 03-Apr-17 13:02:33

My SIL rang our daughter's wedding venue and ordered something off the set menu for her son who was a ridiculously fussy eater. She also asked for it to be charged to the bride and groom's account.

annemac101 Mon 03-Apr-17 13:16:16

Many years ago we were invited to my BIL's wedding. As it was his second one they wanted just to do it on the quiet so only my husband and myself were going. It was to be on New Year's Eve and him and future wife wanted us all to go to a really fancy hotel after register office for a New Years dinner/ dance. Tricky as we had children who would have to stay at my in laws who weren't supposed to know about wedding ( it was to be a surprise after they had done the deed) Then BIL said to my hubby that as his credit card was maxed out could we put price of dinner dance for the four of us on our credit card, price was £400 and this was twenty odd years ago. We said sorry but no as we will just have had the expensive of Christmas etc. Upshot was another four of their friends were invited to wedding and we weren't even asked to sign the register.
They were all going to attend the dinner dance. We went from register office to the hotel and had a drink to toast their happiness, and left the six of them to the dinner dance and we went home to our children. I have no idea who paid but suspect one of the friends used their credit card. We weren't even asked to just pay for ourselves it was we paid for four or forget it. I really didn't want to attend the wedding but that would have caused more problems but to this day I can't get over the audacity of them.

Yorkshiregel Mon 03-Apr-17 14:12:10

DIL1 invited us and DIL2 to her house for lunch. We took quiches and cake, DIL1 too 2 x home made loaves and some ham. DIL2 took one look at the bread and said 'Did you make that in a bread-maker or is it fresh?" When told it was made in a bread-maker DIL2 put on her coat and said "I am just going to the shop to get some decent bread and a currant cake as we cannot eat those"! I did not know where to look and DIL1 had her nose firmly put out of joint.

How they are still on friendly terms I do not know.

Sylviann60 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:13:17

All you can do is laugh and assume she didn't realise what she had done

Tallyann1 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:47:58

I invited dd and sil out for pizza only to realise after we ate that my purse was at home!!...sil had to pay?I've never been allowed to forget it !

HildaW Mon 03-Apr-17 14:53:59

Used to have 'friends' who were always up for a shared picnic at those big Music and fireworks concerts that were all the rage. Somehow she was always doing the starter or the desert - and everyone else, including me, were on the main course. The last one we did together.....she did the desert.....and brought a punnet of raspberries and a pot of cream between eight!

callgirl1 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:41:53

Many years ago, we hadn`t been married long, my MIL decided to have a party at their house at Christmas. She had 6 children altogether, and quite a few grandchildren, of which 5 were ours, so we didn`t object when she suggested a meeting of all the wives at our house, to decide who was going to bring what. We went all through the long list, bread, butter, sandwich fillings, cakes, biscuits, fruit and jelly, etc., then just as everyone was going to go home, she said "Oh, we`ve forgotten tea, coffee, sugar and milk"! We foolishly thought that she`d provide those!