Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to rant to someone about my postman!!!

(160 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 06-Apr-17 12:31:33

Yet again I have to go & collect a parcel from my local sorting office because our postman is too damned lazy to knock on the door.

I saw him going down the other side of road as I was getting the shopping in from the car & he obviously saw me too.

5 mins later I was unpacking the shopping & I heard the post come through the front door. I finished putting the shopping away & went to look at post & there is the card saying no-one was in & I have to go to sorting office to collect my parcel which was too big to go through letterbox. I was all of 12' from front door- we have a bell & a knocker & I am not in any way deaf so I would have heard even a very quiet knock. He did not knock or ring bell at all.
This has happened more than once before & it is so flaming annoying as our sorting office no longer allows you to park there (in the customer spaces!)as it seems someone once (about 4 years ago) 'nearly' hit a postman while parking in the customer spaces. You cannot park on the main road outside so have to park in the town & walk up or risk parking on the road & getting a ticket.
If you complain (& I have been polite) they point out the many hand written signs around the office about being harassed by members of the public- which 'will not be tolerated'
Is this peculiar to our local 'service' or is it common practice?
I do try not to order from firms who use Royal Mail but this was the first thing I have bought from this company- even if I like it when I get it I probably won't use them again now.

OK rant over! I feel better now.

Pammie1 Tue 18-Jan-22 09:30:31

Mummer

Ele19

No one seems to have mentioned the ease of going online to get your parcel redelivered on a day you know you will be in rather than trek to sorting office?! Have nothing but good to say about my posties here & get fair amount of parcels, maybe they like ringing doorbell to catch me in my dressing gown!

Really? Funny as I have done this and delivery came three days later, granted it was at the time slot but we weren't in as it was two days late!!! As I've said they're a bunch of lazy idiots!

Yep, this doesn’t work. Have done it several times and each it it’s been a no show. Have even used the option to pay to have something delivered to my neighbour when we missed a delivery - we were going on holiday the following day. When we got back there was a card through the door and we had to collect from the sorting office. Useless.

Pammie1 Tue 18-Jan-22 09:21:59

madeleine45

May I make a suggestion. For my telephone I have an answerphone on it. I have mobility problems and friends know to hang on and let the a/p answer and I will pick up before it finishs if I am in. Any rudeness or hassle from unwanted phone calls I would immedately say, "All my calls are recorded" This worked miracles, getting rid of unwanted people etc. So these days a lot of people have a security camera on their front door. If you happen to have one of these recording either just pictures or pictures and sound, then you will be able to go to the door in a reasonable time and if they have not waited you can step outside and either say the time aloud or show your watch. If I expect calls or deliveries I always state that I need extra time to get to the door and it usually is ok . You have absolutely got any postman who doesnt even bring the parcel to your door. To be able to prove this gives evidence to the post office bosses of what has happened. Cant argue with evidence and you only need to do it once and the word should get round . Good luck in future

This is a good idea. I have mobility problems and I have a ring doorbell, which records one minute of video at a time. I do something similar - the doorbell plays a recorded message telling the caller that I have mobility difficulties and to allow extra time for me to answer. There have been numerous occasions when delivery drivers have rung the bell and immediately either left with the parcel or have been filmed throwing it over the gate at the side. I’m another one who has filmed postie showing up with no parcel and just posting a card through the door. The ring doorbell has been a godsend for me, and is a good option for collecting evidence - even if they don’t ring the bell, the motion sensor sets off the camera.

welshsue Tue 18-Jan-22 08:42:31

All our Posties are great. Problem we have is just getting one delivery a week for "ordinary" post if we are lucky. Tracked items are getting through. Apparently short staffed in Sorting Office. Only got our's the other Day as we had booked a collection & our Postie actually said"You are lucky to get your post this week, it's only because I have to collect, I brought it with me". Even had to cancel our TV guide subscription, as this was being delivered at end of the week it was for!

Susiewakie Tue 18-Jan-22 07:57:22

Ps original never showed up and our sorting office no parking and miles away from car park too

Susiewakie Tue 18-Jan-22 07:55:55

I feel your pain with RM my daughters Christmas present was 'delivered' I was in nothing .Called the company resent it and a missed you card on the mat totally blank ! .Company emailed me tracking details arranged redelivery to next village .Ours not on dropdown ? Nothing there .Called Company as Christmas looming they used DPD it came at designated time next morning ! Very impressed

Silvertwigs Mon 17-Jan-22 23:47:58

sunseeker I’m very lucky with my postie too, he’s just an Angel

Happysexagenarian Mon 17-Jan-22 20:15:53

Craftycat I feel your pain on this subject!
When our regular daily postie is on holiday I practically have to sit on the doorstep waiting because I know his replacement will either go to the wrong house (even though we have a house sign by the gate); not ring the bell or knock the door; not leave the parcel(s) or even put them in our parcel box. 'Sorry we missed you' cards are a rarity.

Our sorting office is on a very busy narrow street and there is no parking whatsoever. The nearest multistory is at the other end of town. The collection card never says who the parcel is from so it could be a long walk with a possibly large or heavy parcel. I have complained (sometimes loudly) on more than one occasion and was once asked to leave. I've also complained in writing and didn't even get a reply. I usually take my driving licence and a utility bill as ID but was once asked for my passport. I don't have one. They wouldn't let me have the parcel on the grounds that a driving licence can be forged! I really don't look like a master criminal.

By contrast our lovely regular postman is an absolute gem. Last year he was issued with a pull cart for parcels. With so many more people shopping online Health & Safety stepped in to avoid work injuries.

He always rings the bell and if we don't answer he uses the parcel box. He has even come back in his own time to drop off something that wouldn't go in our box. Sometimes he just rings the bell to check how we are if he hasn't seen us for a week or so!

madeleine45 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:45:15

May I make a suggestion. For my telephone I have an answerphone on it. I have mobility problems and friends know to hang on and let the a/p answer and I will pick up before it finishs if I am in. Any rudeness or hassle from unwanted phone calls I would immedately say, "All my calls are recorded" This worked miracles, getting rid of unwanted people etc. So these days a lot of people have a security camera on their front door. If you happen to have one of these recording either just pictures or pictures and sound, then you will be able to go to the door in a reasonable time and if they have not waited you can step outside and either say the time aloud or show your watch. If I expect calls or deliveries I always state that I need extra time to get to the door and it usually is ok . You have absolutely got any postman who doesnt even bring the parcel to your door. To be able to prove this gives evidence to the post office bosses of what has happened. Cant argue with evidence and you only need to do it once and the word should get round . Good luck in future

AreWeThereYet Mon 17-Jan-22 19:24:48

Our postie is lovely and has been for over 20 years - always smiling and helpful.

The village next to ours is mourning the death of their long standing postie. He did nearly his entire career in the village and throughout the pandemic called on people who were vulnerable when he passed their house to make sure they were okay. (Not tiny villages by the way, these are quite big, growing villages and the posties have quite a hike for each round.)

Bignanny2 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:13:30

My current postman is great. My Yodal and Hermes delivery drivers are great too. But I cringe when I rider something and see that it is going to be delivered by DPD. I live in a ground floor flat and none residents have to press the buzzer to gain entry. I was expecting my new glasses from the opticians, the buzzer rang I pressed to let him in and then I heard a thud. He had literally thrown my glasses through the door into the entrance hall. He’s done this with several parcels. I had a fresh food parcel that was obviously too big for him to throw so he just opened the outer door and slid it in. Anyone in the block could have fallen over it or stolen it. And recently I bought a vacuum cleaner that needed to be returned, the retailer arranged collection with DPD ? I was sent notification on for occasions of a time and date for collection by DPD and was in on each occasion. It was never collected. The first time apparently the driver couldn’t find my address, the second time apparently it wasn’t ready for collection and on the third and fourth times apparently he was told there was nothing to collect ?‍♀️. I asked the retailer to use a different company and it’s gone today with UPS (hopefully)!

Seabreeze Mon 17-Jan-22 18:55:16

If I was you I’d complain to the office.

DeeDe Mon 17-Jan-22 18:42:58

Know how you feel .., but not Postman or DHL etc all fine
But Hermes ugh!
Even though we’re in a secure dockyard and fortunate to have outside our locked on wall letter box and a separate large parcel box
The only problem we ever get is if it’s Hermes delivering
Seems they are incapable of telling the truth, they say the same ‘we were out,’ ‘we missed them’
if they had really called they would’ve had to go through gated security and at house seen these boxes available
They drive us mad we’re even sitting waiting for them..
And they still blame the customer for missing them
We try to avoid Hermes deliveries, but it’s not always possible.., angry

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:35:49

This thread was started 5 years ago, not sure if things have changed.
We live 15 miles from central London but havnt had a daily delivery fir a long time. Generally post comes every 2 or 3 days, never anything personal. I do miss getting handwritten letters.

Socksandsocks01 Mon 17-Jan-22 17:51:00

Exactly or ring them up.

Socksandsocks01 Mon 17-Jan-22 17:47:44

If airmail isn't paid for then overseas parcels and letters ho by surface/sea and the timescale is 3 months as a rule provided no stores force them into harbours

Socksandsocks01 Mon 17-Jan-22 17:45:05

It depends. They obviously are only allowed to carry an overall weight for health and safety reasons. Yours won't be the only parcel for delivery that day. Its like beat the clock to so they have to complete all duties within a given time. Add to that any back or other injuries he may have whilst pressurised to work when unfit. Remember the days when postmen just delivered a few letters but still have 2 deliveries a day. Sorting staff as well as delivery staff? Different ball game now. Well I won't name my delivery company which dropped my packet streets away and ran over it to. Delivered by a member of the public and it wasn't Royal Mail. The government took 85% of all RM profits even after they allowed other companies to cherry pick the best profitable parts off. I know which delivery company I trust. Notices were put up because staff get effed and cc at. Assaulted and even wished cancer on their children by public. Most customers thankfully are very courteous.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 17-Jan-22 17:03:24

Our postman doesn’t do parcel deliveries. It’s a separate round done by a postman in a van. He does a much larger round with his van full of parcels and doesn’t put cards through Willy nilly.
Our town has 50,000 residents so maybe that’s why they do it this way?

Shinamae Mon 17-Jan-22 16:27:21

Our regular postman Bob is absolutely brilliant. I have even said if there is no reply he can open the door and leave the mail on the stairs, I completely trust him….(there is nearly always someone in because my daughter-in-law works from home but cannot always answer the door obviously)

Riggie Mon 17-Jan-22 16:21:05

Our postie sometimes comes round twice. Once in his van with bigger parcels and then again a short while later with the letters and small carryable items.

Lin663 Mon 17-Jan-22 15:48:39

My post woman is a complete joy, her name is Vicki, she goes out of her way to be helpful and if I am not in she hides my parcel and puts a note through the door so I can find it.

Jaylou Mon 17-Jan-22 15:44:12

I did, and there was a sign. He wasn't a nice person either. I didn't mention he had to walk over my flower bed to climb over the wall. I have no sympathy for him, he damaged my flower bed, broke my wall, lied to his managers, left post hanging out the letterbox, if he couldn't do the job properly he shouldn't have become a postman. Maybe harsh of me, but he did pea me off.

tinaf1 Mon 17-Jan-22 15:37:35

Jaylou

At my old house the postman constantly stepped on my wall to climb over it to get to next door, he didn't want to walk down my drive (1 car's length) to next door. The wall eventually collapsed. I was able to get a picture of him climbing over the wall to next door without him knowing. I complained to the post office and they questioned him. He said "I have never climbed over that wall."! A manager came round to argue their case, but on seeing the photo, they paid for the wall to be re-built! And I never saw that postman again. So complaining can get you results, just got to get irrefutable evidence. Little old me beat the Post Office, good feeling.

Did you ever ask him not too climb on the wall, before taking his photo and complaining.
He has probably now been sacked from his job.

Mamma66 Mon 17-Jan-22 15:35:51

Our Postie is really nice, as was the one at our old house; both really helpful. Thank God. However, if we are not at home, the collection point is miles away, horrendously difficult to find and impossible to get near, let alone park near. I feel particularly sorry for anyone who does not have a car as it is nowhere near a bus route. I honestly don’t know how they got permission to close the old collection office and replace it with this one.

Jaylou Mon 17-Jan-22 15:28:25

At my old house the postman constantly stepped on my wall to climb over it to get to next door, he didn't want to walk down my drive (1 car's length) to next door. The wall eventually collapsed. I was able to get a picture of him climbing over the wall to next door without him knowing. I complained to the post office and they questioned him. He said "I have never climbed over that wall."! A manager came round to argue their case, but on seeing the photo, they paid for the wall to be re-built! And I never saw that postman again. So complaining can get you results, just got to get irrefutable evidence. Little old me beat the Post Office, good feeling.

jocork Mon 17-Jan-22 14:55:54

I tend to avoid ordering from companies that use Hermes for deliveries as I've had bad experiences from them. I usually find the post office very reliable.

Some years ago I came home from work and found the postman/woman had left a parcel in the middle of my dining room. It turned out we'd left the door unlocked and he/she had gone round the back to find somewhere to leave the parcel and found the door unlocked. I worked out how it had happened and realised that the door had been unlocked for weeks! Needless to say I was very grateful to that post person!