Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to rant to someone about my postman!!!

(159 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 06-Apr-17 12:31:33

Yet again I have to go & collect a parcel from my local sorting office because our postman is too damned lazy to knock on the door.

I saw him going down the other side of road as I was getting the shopping in from the car & he obviously saw me too.

5 mins later I was unpacking the shopping & I heard the post come through the front door. I finished putting the shopping away & went to look at post & there is the card saying no-one was in & I have to go to sorting office to collect my parcel which was too big to go through letterbox. I was all of 12' from front door- we have a bell & a knocker & I am not in any way deaf so I would have heard even a very quiet knock. He did not knock or ring bell at all.
This has happened more than once before & it is so flaming annoying as our sorting office no longer allows you to park there (in the customer spaces!)as it seems someone once (about 4 years ago) 'nearly' hit a postman while parking in the customer spaces. You cannot park on the main road outside so have to park in the town & walk up or risk parking on the road & getting a ticket.
If you complain (& I have been polite) they point out the many hand written signs around the office about being harassed by members of the public- which 'will not be tolerated'
Is this peculiar to our local 'service' or is it common practice?
I do try not to order from firms who use Royal Mail but this was the first thing I have bought from this company- even if I like it when I get it I probably won't use them again now.

OK rant over! I feel better now.

sunseeker Thu 06-Apr-17 12:36:41

I think it is down to the individual postman - my own postman is lovely, goes out of his way to be as helpful as possible. If he can't get something through the letterbox and I am not at home he will put it in the log store and post a note through the door telling me where it is. When I go away on holiday he has been known to take a walk around the house to make sure everything is OK. I always know when he is on holiday because the post arrives about an hour earlier as he always stops to talk to people on his route. I think if Royal Mail ever tried to move him to a different route everyone would be storming the sorting office in protest!

gillybob Thu 06-Apr-17 12:42:35

He probably didn't have the parcel with him Craftycat! Its a sneaky trick but some of the posties (not mine he's brilliant) don't bother to bring the parcels out with them. It used to happen to me all the time when I lived in my last house. Our sorting office is the same. There is no-where to park without paying extortionate charges in the town centre.

My house is sometimes like an Amazon mini sorting office as the postman knows I am normally in on a friday afternoon (early finish) and gives me parcels for what seems like the entire street (mostly young people out at work). i don't mind 'cos he's lovely and I feel sorry for him humping them around.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Apr-17 12:49:17

Spot on gilly. I chased after the postie within seconds of him having put a card in my post box - he didn't have the parcel with him!

From what I gathered at the time, it wasn't his choice but Royal Mail's way of doing things! I did kick up a fuss at the sorting office - this was about 10 years' ago.

I now have deliveries sent to the local 'Click & collect'.

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Apr-17 13:08:34

Not even having the parcel with him? That's not on! Is there an ombudsman? Definitely worth making a fuss.

We missed a parcel last week when I felt sure we were here and had to ask for a re-delivery which was three days later, but meant my DH ago this birthday present late. I shall watch more carefully in future.

thatbags Thu 06-Apr-17 13:14:30

crafty, I think it's worth telling the company you bought from about the delivery problem. One company we complained to about the delivery service they used changed to a different delivery company.

merlotgran Thu 06-Apr-17 13:27:29

We have a nice, helpful postman now after years of absolute horrors. The worst one was seven years ago when DH had just had a stroke. She said she was scared of our two Jack Russells (harmless but noisy) so I assured her they would always be inside the house until after she had been (usually around 11am)

During the winter she would sound the horn, refusing to get out in case I'd broken my word and my 'dangerous' dogs were loose in the garden. The sound of the horn beeping would obviously make the dogs bark!!

She would then count to twenty before driving off which wasn't long enough for me to stagger round to the front door - often slipping on ice. I think she took great pleasure in putting the van in gear just as I rounded the corner.

I reported her only to discover the dogs had been given an ASBO - she then left (probably sacked for her attitude) and was replaced by a stream of equally stroppy jobsworths.

I've waited years for a nice postman. I dread the day he moves on to pastures new.

J52 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:10:23

Can I join in? Parcel Force!!! Arrh!
I bought something yesterday and paid for express delivery, within 24 hrs. It is a present and I want it before I go away at the week end. All well and good, will be here with me today! NO
Parcel Force have taken it to the wrong depot, 300+ miles away. The tracking web site would not let me in so I've only just found out!

The company I bought from have been lovely and are refunding the postage, but that's not the point.
At the moment I have no idea when it will arrive, or if I wil be in!

Rant over.

sunseeker Thu 06-Apr-17 15:24:28

My big moan is the delivery companies who think you have nothing to do but wait in for them all day - you know, you get a message your parcel will be delivered between 8.30 a.m. and 6.00 p.m., not even an indication as to whether it will be morning or afternoon and you can be sure the minute you go to the loo is the time they will come, knock once and then walk away with the parcel!!!!

grannypiper Thu 06-Apr-17 20:00:01

My postie is fantastic, even the relief postie is really good.The guys and gals are fantastic too, we never have parcels taken back.

Anya Thu 06-Apr-17 20:49:13

Ain't you the lucky one grannypiper - it's literally a post code lottery.

tinaf1 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:01:44

Think it is just a case as in most organisations that serve the public your always going to get some who will go the extra mile , some jobsworths and some who couldn't give a toss. By the way my son is a postman definitely one of the good guys grin grin

Swanny Thu 06-Apr-17 23:18:32

We used to have a lovely postwoman here but then the sorting office re-located. It is actually more convenient now for me to collect any undelivered mail but I don't think we've had the same postman 2 weeks running since. Why? Ok the previous postwoman may have left but why can't we have a regular?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Apr-17 06:10:37

I m very lucky my postie is good as gold and the couriers for the most part always leave at a shop two doors away if I m out so I ve no complaints at all

gillybob Fri 07-Apr-17 08:03:42

I had a card through my door last night saying they tried to deliver a parcel that was too big for the letterbox. My neighbour mustn't have been in or they would have left it there. Problem is they seemed to have changed the times at the sorting office and it now closes at 12 noon. What about people who are at work? Grrrrr

edsnana Fri 07-Apr-17 09:34:08

I used DPD to send a parcel, dropped it off on Sunday at a local drop off point and was assured it would be collected on Monday. The tracking didn't really make any sense but said it would be delivered by 5th. Which didn't happen. I rang the shop where I dropped it off and they wouldn't tell me if it had gone because "they didn't know who I was"!! No phone numbers on DPD website so had to track that down and use what I suspect was a premium rate number. When they checked it was still sitting at the shop yesterday, the day after it should have been delivered. And I wonder if I hadn't chased it up whether it would still be there today! On a positive note our postie is lovely, keeps an eye out when we're away, leaves parcels in a sensible place if we're out, thank goodness

nipsmum Fri 07-Apr-17 09:35:37

I had words with my postman about the same thing and discovered the card had been pushed into my letter box the day before and was stuck in the box. It had then fallen on to the floor the next day when he delivered that days mail. I asked that he be careful to push things right through in future. No further problems to report.

Saralou18 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:39:57

Our postmen for years have been very obliging. They are very good at leaving packages with neighbours. They know we all get on round here which is an advantage I suppose. I can imagine in some are people don't want their post going to a neighbour. As we have a glass door our postman will deliver all our post to our neighbour when we are away so she does not have to come round and pick it up!
Our local depot is manned by an ex- delivery postman and he is always so friendly if ever we have to go there. So, no complaints here!

Juggernaut Fri 07-Apr-17 09:42:51

I was waiting for a parcel from Amazon yesterday, to be delivered by Amazon logistics who are ususally brill.
I was in all day as my knees were painful, so would have heard the bell. Finally got an email at 7-25pm.......my parcel had been left with a neighbour 4 doors away at 10-15am! He works shifts and was on lates, so I eventually got my parcel when he arrived home from work at 10-30 last night!
There's no way our bell rang yesterday.......so annoying!
I have Amazon Prime too, so am doubly crossangry

Juggernaut Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:42

Amazon may have fouled up, but our postman, Pete is wonderful!

Jaycee5 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:02:55

I have a very good regular postman now but when I ran my business I had regular problems with the postman. Complaining made it worse (although I think people should still do that, there is no excuse for this). My last home was a flat at the side of a house and even after I stuck a notice on the front door of the house it was still rare for my post to come in my own door.

Musicelf Fri 07-Apr-17 10:16:10

Our postie is just lovely - our regular one, at any rate. He goes out of his way to make sure we get our parcels, and will knock on many doors to find someone to take them in if he can't leave them in a safe place. Hermes, on the other hand.......!! They shove the parcel in a shed, then stick a note through the door. I open the door just as she's disappearing up the steps, and she says, "Oh, I thought you were out." Every time. Every time!!

FarNorth Fri 07-Apr-17 10:18:07

40 years ago I had the parcel-not-even-there problem when I grabbed the card and shot out after the postie.
"You're never in." he said.
"Well, I'm in now!"

Cagsy Fri 07-Apr-17 10:30:01

I come at this from a slightly different angle as we have a small on line business and we dispatch every day via Royal Mail and they are very good - most of the time! They pick up every evening and I would say at least 96% of packages are delivered on time and in good condition.
You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't add the correct address, especially those who pay with PayPal - don't forget to change your address when you move if you're registered with them!
Royal Mail is the only carrier who will deliver to every part of the country for the same price and that's important to us, we don't want to penalise people who live far away from big cities and other hubs.
We also have great posties who deliver daily and as we work from home they know we're always in so we end up with lots of neighbour's parcels too, which is fine.

nannypiano Fri 07-Apr-17 10:34:56

My lovely post lady, (young), called with a parcel a few weeks ago, realised I was struggling to put a new battery in my smoke alarm in the hallway and stopped to do it for me! Bless her!!