Gransnet forums

AIBU

GC names

(41 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 08-Apr-17 15:48:44

Whenever my friend talks about her GC on FB she uses rhyming nicknames for them, such as Claire Bear, Daisy Maizy and Liam Beham (not real names) they range in age from 3-10.
AIBU to find this slightly nauseating ?
She dosen't live near so I don't know if she stands in the park calling Liam Beham for example grin

harrigran Tue 11-Apr-17 10:17:53

Apparently my paternal grandfather called my elder sister Betty Dumps and we can't fathom out why. We never thought to ask parents and said grandfather has been dead since 1948 confused

Nannanoo Tue 11-Apr-17 09:44:44

It's definitely a hazardous exercise using pre-birth names M0nica
Eldest DS was known as 'Fred' before birth - he's forty this month, and still known as Fred, although his given name is Christopher!

M0nica Tue 11-Apr-17 08:35:49

Nannanoo, beware the pre-birth names. We called our first Ethelred the Unready. It clearly affected his personality, he has on his back foot running to catch up ever since.

travelsafar Mon 10-Apr-17 08:11:54

we have 'Izzie Whizzy let's get busy' for our Lizzie and 'lucy locket where's your pocket' for our Lucy. Not sure how these names started, they just evolved within the family!!!

Nannanoo Mon 10-Apr-17 07:20:39

That should have been DGC - we don't know which flavour baby will appear just yet! smile

Nannanoo Mon 10-Apr-17 07:19:23

I like 'cuddle names' too - but maybe not in public.
My unborn DGD, due in October, is presently known as Agent Tiddlesworth. shock
I hope that doesn't stick when he/she is older!

tiredoldwoman Mon 10-Apr-17 06:22:15

Hopehope- the Cherub made me laugh out loud ! I love all these loving names - keep 'em coming !

Caroline123 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:52:20

Personally I hate it!
Not sweet, cute or nice.
Awful!
Gritting teeth at some of the above 'cute' extra names,Urgh.

Hopehope Sun 09-Apr-17 23:42:26

We don't do that, but Dh still refers to our Son who is 37, and six feet three as " The Cherub" lol he will often say " did the Cherub phone today" etc

Flowerofthewest Sun 09-Apr-17 23:29:31

We have Ottbott...Toto....Tilly Bear. ...Daisy Dot. In our family

Purpledaffodil Sun 09-Apr-17 21:21:01

When I was teaching, several children who were the children or grandchildren of other staff members were often called by their family nicknames in school. I always found that somewhat creepy. Love the expression "cuddle name" though.

vampirequeen Sun 09-Apr-17 19:04:02

My DGC are children though so why can't we be childish with them? All my DGC have nicknames. I don't see the problem. They're not upset by them. They're terms of endearment.

My DDs have nicknames too and I still use them sometimes.

If you think I'm stupid and childish then so be it.

radicalnan Sun 09-Apr-17 18:55:40

I love nick names.......personalised, close friends or family names, what is wrong with them? If your freinds like them why does it bother you?

They are little crystals of affection that stuck, for a loving reason and that is lovely.

I think FB has a place for such names, as it does for other insider information, people can customise the viewers and it is nice for you to be among their chosen people.............'nauseating' well that is harsh in my opinion.

Peaseblossom Sun 09-Apr-17 18:03:21

I think it's stupid and childish. The sort of thing a young child might do, but not an adult. I should think a lot of children whose friends or siblings do that to them would be annoyed and it would be a form of teasing.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 09-Apr-17 13:44:38

Lighten up folks ,isn't there enough misery and sorrow in todays world???
My maiden name was Hicksworth and even after I married a couple of my old school friends still referred to me as 'hickydicky.

Rosina Sun 09-Apr-17 13:39:05

For some bizarre reason lost in the mists of history, any tiny person in our family is automatically called 'Chump Chop'until they get to about three....not exclusively of course as they need to learn their own name, but I do sometimes wonder how we all unconsciously adopt this odd name when playing with or swinging the baby/toddler around. They all seem to like it - so far!

harrigran Sun 09-Apr-17 12:46:03

It's like talking baby talk to children, it keeps them infantile.

GlamM Sun 09-Apr-17 12:32:44

I'm referred to as pie , bun , vicarage , vixen .. my GS has many names - hazmat ( for the horror show nappies after healthy food !) Harrington bear , Harriboo , h dog and my particular favourite that I call him is pooper scooper. Because it makes him giggle. Anyway what's in a name grin

ninathenana Sun 09-Apr-17 11:59:54

Probably lots of things quizqueen wink

quizqueen Sun 09-Apr-17 11:49:38

What other people choose to put on facebook or otherwise call their grandchildren is their own business, surely!!! I wonder what your friend finds 'slightly nauseating' about you!

inishowen Sun 09-Apr-17 11:29:47

We have Rosie posie in our family.

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-Apr-17 11:02:18

I've got a Juicy Lucy and a Nicky Picky Pie . Oh dear .

Chicklette Sun 09-Apr-17 10:53:17

I agree it's too twee in public. Makes me so glad FB wasn't around when we were children! My Mum always did that: my brother, David, was Daisy Doodles (yuck yuck yuck!) , Robin was Robin-a-bobbin, my was Niki-noo-noo or noodles, and my sister, Adrienne, was either Agatha or Aggie-baggie. We really hated it. She did the same with my daughters who didn't like it either. Candy became Flossy and my middle daughter, whose middle name is Jessica became Jessie. I'm sure if FB had been around these embarrassing names would have been plastered all over it!

sufuller Sun 09-Apr-17 10:19:02

My gorgeous gd is Marthamoobags!

TerriBull Sun 09-Apr-17 09:11:11

Our grandson has a nickname half given by his sister that rhymes with his actual name and we've added bear to the end of that, for alliteration and also because it roles of the tongue, I don't use it in public, in the park for instance, otherwise we use it all the time and he even calls himself by that name. In due course he will tell us to stop, but we'll make the most of it while he's little.