Gransnet forums

AIBU

GC names

(40 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 08-Apr-17 15:48:44

Whenever my friend talks about her GC on FB she uses rhyming nicknames for them, such as Claire Bear, Daisy Maizy and Liam Beham (not real names) they range in age from 3-10.
AIBU to find this slightly nauseating ?
She dosen't live near so I don't know if she stands in the park calling Liam Beham for example grin

kittylester Sat 08-Apr-17 15:50:25

blush blush

I have a Hattie Mattie (Harriet Martha!)

aggie Sat 08-Apr-17 15:55:42

My Father did that to me and I was so unhappy about it that I refused to speak to him , I was about 3 at the time . Everyone thought it hilarious , but no one ever did it since ,

ninathenana Sat 08-Apr-17 16:08:58

kitty I find that cute as it's actually a version of her name.
I bet 10 yr old Liam Beham wouldn't be pleased either aggie

NanaandGrampy Sat 08-Apr-17 18:26:44

Good grief no !

Not cute ( although Kitty's GC is) not big and not clever. Poor kids !! The only one we occasionally use is QOTU for our Grandaughter ( Queen of the Universes) smile

mumofmadboys Sat 08-Apr-17 19:44:02

We had a part time nanny called Clare and the boys called her Clare Bear for years!!

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 19:46:11

It's a bit twee I suppose, but if she is your friend.....grit your teeth.grin

vampirequeen Sat 08-Apr-17 20:21:08

I don't see a problem tbh.

M0nica Sun 09-Apr-17 07:38:08

I do it, but only to the children themselves, who seem to enjoy it - and only on occasion.

I never use these, what I call, cuddle names, when mentioning them in conversation.

mcem Sun 09-Apr-17 07:59:29

Better not mention Robbie Dobbie Doo then! No idea where it came from but suspect it was little sis. Like monica occasional affectionate use and not in public.

Penstemmon Sun 09-Apr-17 08:08:33

If it is an affectionate term for the children..'pet' names within the family is a common & normal thing to do! I was known a Nayno in my family,especially by my grandma!
I refer to Stanny Manny & Pheobe Beeby plus Conkers Bonkers and Elly Belly. In the park /public they are known by their proper given names grin

morethan2 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:22:57

My sister does this to her now adult children and now all three do it to ME.

morethan2 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:28:26

Pressed to quickly. Meant to add that I'm not amused. I put up with it though cos I love em.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Apr-17 08:36:02

Fine, but I wouldn't do this in public (which definitely includes Facebook!). A friend and her in-law always use the same rhyming name for their granddaughter on FB, usually preceded by "our little..". It's very twee and though cute for a baby, has to be embarrassing for an eight year old.

ninathenana Sun 09-Apr-17 08:40:05

I agree that within the family it's a loving intimate thing M0nica I love the expression "cuddle names"
Why would you plaster it all over FB though.

TerriBull Sun 09-Apr-17 09:11:11

Our grandson has a nickname half given by his sister that rhymes with his actual name and we've added bear to the end of that, for alliteration and also because it roles of the tongue, I don't use it in public, in the park for instance, otherwise we use it all the time and he even calls himself by that name. In due course he will tell us to stop, but we'll make the most of it while he's little.

sufuller Sun 09-Apr-17 10:19:02

My gorgeous gd is Marthamoobags!

Chicklette Sun 09-Apr-17 10:53:17

I agree it's too twee in public. Makes me so glad FB wasn't around when we were children! My Mum always did that: my brother, David, was Daisy Doodles (yuck yuck yuck!) , Robin was Robin-a-bobbin, my was Niki-noo-noo or noodles, and my sister, Adrienne, was either Agatha or Aggie-baggie. We really hated it. She did the same with my daughters who didn't like it either. Candy became Flossy and my middle daughter, whose middle name is Jessica became Jessie. I'm sure if FB had been around these embarrassing names would have been plastered all over it!

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-Apr-17 11:02:18

I've got a Juicy Lucy and a Nicky Picky Pie . Oh dear .

inishowen Sun 09-Apr-17 11:29:47

We have Rosie posie in our family.

quizqueen Sun 09-Apr-17 11:49:38

What other people choose to put on facebook or otherwise call their grandchildren is their own business, surely!!! I wonder what your friend finds 'slightly nauseating' about you!

ninathenana Sun 09-Apr-17 11:59:54

Probably lots of things quizqueen wink

GlamM Sun 09-Apr-17 12:32:44

I'm referred to as pie , bun , vicarage , vixen .. my GS has many names - hazmat ( for the horror show nappies after healthy food !) Harrington bear , Harriboo , h dog and my particular favourite that I call him is pooper scooper. Because it makes him giggle. Anyway what's in a name grin

harrigran Sun 09-Apr-17 12:46:03

It's like talking baby talk to children, it keeps them infantile.

Rosina Sun 09-Apr-17 13:39:05

For some bizarre reason lost in the mists of history, any tiny person in our family is automatically called 'Chump Chop'until they get to about three....not exclusively of course as they need to learn their own name, but I do sometimes wonder how we all unconsciously adopt this odd name when playing with or swinging the baby/toddler around. They all seem to like it - so far!