Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think a pet dog should not be buried in mutual gardens?

(36 Posts)
mcem Mon 10-Apr-17 19:59:44

Sadly my neighbour has just lost her dog. Do you think it's reasonable to go ahead and bury it in the borders of our mutual gardens - quite a large area shared/owned by 16 flat owners?
As far as I know no-one has been consulted about it and I believe it may not be legal.
Any comments??

Shazmo24 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:29:40

I wouldn't be bothered by something like that...just as long the pooch was buried deep and flowers/tree/shrub planted...who knws it may have already been done and no one knows!

Marieeliz Wed 12-Apr-17 17:19:24

I have had two small pet dogs cremated and it is expensive through a Vet. I still have their ashes in caskets with their name DOB and date died on. have a dog a Yorkie. I still have the ashes in boxes on. Have no idea what I will do with them eventually. I have a small dog now who is 8.

We did bury a cat in our garden in the 1960's.

Perhaps your neighbour cannot afford cremation?

DS64till Wed 12-Apr-17 17:49:14

Doesn't seem any harm in it really. Is there something that is worrying you about it ? I agree might have been nice to be consulted but think your Neighbour is griefstricken and not thinking straight x

Elegran Wed 12-Apr-17 17:57:31

What would worry me about it is the prospect of someone's little grandchild doing a bit of amateur gardening in the flowerbeds and digging up a chunk of decomposing pooch. Come to that, whoever does the gardening normally could get a bit of a nasty experience.

There is a good reason for the regulations concerning where burials (human and animal) can take place. Hygiene and aesthetics both come into it. In your own garden, where you know the location of the pet grave, you can avoid cultivating there, but when the garden is shared by many people, and those people could change at any time, it doesn't seem to me to be fair to do this. A pet cremation and the ashes put into a planter with a shrub would be better - or perhaps they could be scattered somewhere wild where the dog liked to go for a walk..

Elrel Wed 12-Apr-17 20:48:58

Sorry, it's not her garden to put the dog in.

mcem Wed 12-Apr-17 21:37:36

Apparently she has been reluctantly persuaded to bury the dog in her daughter's garden. Problem solved.
(Incidentally the question of leasehold doesn't apply in Scotland.)

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 22:14:17

With your own garden, it's perfectly legal to bury anything ( including a husband or wife.) Shared gardens should be a no-no.
We have buried cats and hamsters but a dog would go for cremation and the ashes then buried.

Hollycat Thu 13-Apr-17 03:29:00

My father always buried pets in the garden - dogs, cats, rabbits and a budgie! So did our neighbours. We lived on a council estate in Tottenham and the "soil" was London clay - dense and sticky. My guess is that they're still there.

Desdemona Thu 13-Apr-17 08:39:12

I was pondering pet burial the other day. Watching my elderly (but still fit and well) cat basking in the sun, my mind wandered as to what I would do with her remains when "the time comes." (morbid of me I know!) My garden, although my own is frequented by foxes and badgers on a regular basis.

As to the original question, if I lived in communal flats I think I would go down the cremation route to avoid upsetting anyone and so I could scatter the ashes somewhere my pet enjoyed.

Bez1989 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:50:53

There is a lovely private Pet Crematorium
in Worcestetshire. It can be found by Google. It's owned by a lovely family in beautiful countryside.

One can have their pet's ashes returned in a suitable container knowing that the contents are GENUINE. sunshine