Gransnet forums

AIBU

To support Daughter Not Taking 2 year old Twins Camping

(97 Posts)
Grammy6 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:53:42

My Daughter has very active twin boys ( will be 2 in June) Daughters , in laws camp every year ( big family holiday) ( last year was a challenge but the twins were not walking) the expectation is that they attend again for a week in August this year. Daughter has said that she cannot cope this year , husband and family are upset. I feel this is too much for her to cope with. Thoughts please

rosesarered Sat 22-Apr-17 16:27:35

We used to take our young children camping in France.True,it was hard work with the cooking to do but we always enjoyed it.However it is entirely your DD 's decision and her holiday.If it feels too stressful she could just say so, and suggest a couple of years may make a difference.

rosesarered Sat 22-Apr-17 16:30:39

Have just read your post Jalima yes, we used French campsites with tents all ready for use, and very nice they were, usually in Brittany or Normandy.Happy memories ( Key Camp the holiday firm was called).

FarNorth Sat 22-Apr-17 18:22:05

The OP said "last year was a challenge but the twins were not walking" so it sounds as if the twins' needs are the difficulty.

Why compare camping to a hotel? No-one has said that a hotel is the preferred option.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:44:40

Why compare camping to a hotel? No-one has said that a hotel is the preferred option
Well, the OP hasn't said that but other posters have said they would prefer a 5* hotel.

Why not compare anyway?

Well, the OP has not come back and answered any queries, we don't know the DD, her family, what she likes doing, how adventurous the twins are, what the relationship with the in-laws is like or in fact anything much at all.

In answer to the OP I will reiterate what I said previously, I would not take sides 'Whatever you decide' is always the best option.

rosesarered Sat 22-Apr-17 18:52:59

Jalima...... tell me about it! grin

Riverwalk Sat 22-Apr-17 19:50:42

Well, the OP has not come back and answered any queries, we don't know the DD, her family, what she likes doing, how adventurous the twins are, what the relationship with the in-laws is like or in fact anything much at all.

It's rather tiresome when newbies post a seemingly genuine enquiry and members take the time to answer sincerely and try to help then the OP doesn't have the courtesy to return to the thread.

Whey do people do this? hmm

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:56:59

I have been camping (even in the Primus stove days pre-DC) and I have been to 5 star hotels. The five star hotels were lovely with just DH and the camping was very suitable with young DC, although I will say that a caravan was preferable when I got to my 40s.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:58:02

I don't know, but never mind Riverwalk we can just chat amongst ourselves grin

Riverwalk Sat 22-Apr-17 20:01:15

I'm beginning to wonder Jalima how many threads are genuine. hmm

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:10:25

There have been one or two lately, but let's give Grammy6 the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she is having a busy week.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:10:43

packing camping gear

Luckylegs9 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:20:57

I would rather not go away if camping was the only option, so they would be permanently upset. The thought of going with two toddlers even worse.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:20:48

grin

it can be great fun Luckylegs or a complete nightmare
It all depends on the weather!

Newquay Sun 23-Apr-17 16:47:23

I must say we never used companies either when we progressed to mobile homes (much better-own bathroom!). Just choose your area, then campsite-so easy these days with t'internet-and p just email them direct. They usually have someone who can speak English if you can't speak French.

Leticia Mon 24-Apr-17 06:56:16

Any holiday is difficult with 2 year old twins. I should think it a nightmare in a hotel and trying to eat out. Any travel not by car is a nightmare.
At least in a tent you are not stuck to timetables, you are in the fresh air , mealtimes are not a problem and you can tire them out everyday.
You have extra adults. Are the in-laws and husband useless? If so I fail to see how any holiday with DH can be enjoyable if he doesn't get stuck in with childcare.
Does OP's daughter simply mean that all holidays are stressful and she doesn't want to take one until the children are easier to manage? (that might be some wait!)
I am not a fan of camping but with small children self catering,in this country, with additional adults is about as easy as it gets.

Penstemmon Mon 24-Apr-17 08:43:59

I'm with you leticia! Whilst there are some great family oriented "glamping"sites with yurts ,proper beds and cots etc. 2yr old twins are not going to add 'calm and relaxation' to the holiday agenda! If the mum is already tired the thought of preparing for and being "on holiday" could be the last straw!!

Nannarose Tue 25-Apr-17 09:50:11

I'd like to add another comment on here. It's a view that I thought would be unhelpful to OP, so I didn't voice it, but she has made no more comment.

I said in previous posts that I have always camped, from a child, DH & I carried on, and when we had kids it was a'given' that they came with us and we did what we needed to make them safe & comfortable. Of course, there was the odd day or night that was difficult, but we learned from it, got through it and carried on.

Friends with children of a similar age would sometimes ask 'how we coped' - sometimes genuinely wanting advice, sometimes not!
Some fell into the same 'camp'as us, some felt it was not worthwhile.

Fast forward to the teenage years: the 'camping kids' had plenty of self-reliance, problem-solving skills and were good in a team. I'm not saying other kids didn't (that would be daft!) but camping helps to develop those skills. Indeed, one of my kids got a job, unconnected to camping, but by using it as an example of those skills.

Now some of those friends said 'Oh, I wish we'd persevered with camping, your kids seem to have such a good time'. The 'camping kids' were also in demand at festival time as they were competent with tents, knew what emergency kit to carry and were quite unfazed by whatever got thrown at them!

Now they all still camp, the GCs too, and we all have a good time, and we all cope with problems.

Obviously I completely agree with all those posters who said that it has to be mum's decision - and one year off (with 2 year olds!) doesn't mean she gives up on camping completely.
It is also quite likely that she's not getting much support with the problem-solving.

Anyway, I just needed to say that, thank you for reading!

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 10:37:59

Brilliant post Nannarose.

Nannarose Tue 25-Apr-17 15:05:49

Thank you.

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 10:00:47

I wondered if the mum not only did not get sufficient help with twins last time but also felt "under scrutiny" from rest of family? Might just have been her impression and not what family thought but still off outting for her.

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 10:01:31

Putting not outting!!