Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling a bit pants today

(7 Posts)
DS64till Sat 22-Apr-17 16:21:02

Feeling a bit low today; one of my friends who has a young family is due to be evicted through no fault of theirs. They have had a really tough couple of years involving Cancer, Premature birth and also a bereavement . They have been let down over a new house and are really struggling to get a guarantor. There's nothing at all I can do to help with that but has anyone on here been through anything similar. Guess I'm trying to brainstorm a solution. Any advice appreciated and passed on x

whitewave Sat 22-Apr-17 17:34:31

I have read your post a few times ds and feel so sorry for those poor folk. I am fortunate never to have been in that position so really my post is useless except to say that I wish both them and yourself the very best.

Sugarpufffairy Sun 23-Apr-17 00:39:25

Would the current landlord write a good reference for the people? Have they been decent while being unable to keep up with the rent? Is the house in good order? Perhaps take photos of the condition of the house to show that they are keeping it in good order even if it is unaffordable.
I would suggest you do not act as guarantor. Even with the nearest and dearest this can lead to serious problems unless you are extremely comfortable.
Would you be willing to have them live with you assuming that your house is big enough.
Just some thoughts. Good luck
SPF

grannypiper Sun 23-Apr-17 08:21:03

DS64 What a awful situation , have the young couple been to C.A.B and the local housing team ?
Just be there for them, maybe you could have the children whilst they are out trying to find somewhere new or maybe you could store some of their belongings.
There really isn't much more you can do. I hope there is good news soon.brew & cupcake

DS64till Sun 23-Apr-17 09:34:11

Thank you; am waiting for an update x

DS64till Sun 23-Apr-17 09:40:42

Thanks for your post. They have followed all the correct procedures. Unfortunately I don't have the room for them. The Landlord wants to sell the house and they have been good tenants. Unfortunately it has been to court and they were advised to stay or they could be classed as making themselves homeless and there's 2 babies and a toddler. Babies were prem. I really hope the Council can do something but I know it's terrible Housing wise at the moment.

silverlining48 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:47:54

It is my understanding that under the children act they should be allocated accommodTion by the council because of the children, though it may not be perfect it would be a roof of sorts until they are permanently housed.
If they can get good references from their current landlord i am sure that would help. I wish them luck.