Gransnet forums

AIBU

How do I deal with a difficult friend?

(97 Posts)
mauraB Mon 24-Apr-17 13:28:58

I am in my eighties and I have a friend who is a few years older. Once a week we go out for a meal, I drive and we need to park near to any access because she is finding great difficulty in walking.
However she will not apply for a blue badge saying she knows she will not get one. She prefers to hang onto my arm during a sometimes lenghty walk, nearly dragging me down. I have recently finished two year's treatment for cancer and I am not as tough as I was! I have asked her to visit the doctor about her pain, or to inform him of the disabling effect next time she sees him but she says "Oh he knows". We used to take turns in paying the bill (our financial situations are the same) Now she just leaves it to me, she insists on carrying a large, heavy bag which I usually end up with, because she says it contains her purse (which never sees the light of day). Last time I reminded her that it was her turn to pay she made such a fuss and earned such sympathy from the staff, plus reproachful looks for me, that I was very embarrassed.
I would be sorry to end our friendship because I enjoy our chats and laughter. However I feel cross about the situation and I know this makes me crabby at times, my smiles and lighthearted remarks are rather forced!
Any brilliant ideas, anyone on how I can deal with this?

Bbbface Tue 25-Apr-17 12:13:49

So the last time she paid, she "made such a fuss" and she got "sympathy" whilst you got "reproachful looks" from the staff.

Really? I highly doubt that staff were giving a woman in her eighties a reproachful look for allowing her friend to pay. Especially as you are presumably regulars if you only ever go there.
I think you were seeing shadows where there were nones

So, she made a fuss. As long as she pays, and you enjoy her company, i would suck up the "fuss".

JanaNana Tue 25-Apr-17 12:18:27

Maybe take a taxi each time you go for the meal. One of you pays one way and the other on the way home. This seems to be draining you emotionally as well as physically. Tell her you want a change from the usual routine and all the driving. Why does she need such a large heavy bag anyway? You can buy some lightweight crossbody bags ,so easy to use minimal items inside and she could carry her own bag then. Also there are variety of groups out there : example: knit + knatter, craft activities etc. Libraries often advertise these on their notice boards. That would get you both doing something different and make more friends. She might dig her heels in at these new arrangements BUT so must you. Your health is just as important as your friends.

Elegran Tue 25-Apr-17 12:20:03

But it seems she doesn't pay - she only did on that occasion because the poster reminded her (and was made to seem mean as a result). It looks as though she plays the "Helpless old lady" card at every opportunity. The only counter to that is to call her bluff and play the "So am I!" trump card.

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:26:51

She is being stubborn about not applying for a blue badge confused. Is she maybe worried about form filling. She could get one of the staff from her GPs practice to help, or go to Citizens advice. Maybe she has a family member who would assist her.

I would clearly say that the closeness of parking is an issue when taking her out!! And it's not easy for people who are driving her from A to B. She really has to consider other people.

Definitely agree with Terri The answer is 50:50. Tell her you are having to watch your money at the moment!

Stansgran Tue 25-Apr-17 12:37:37

But if Maura's friend doesn't drive can she be issued with a blue badge? I don't know anything about blue badges( yet)

Shelagh6 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:37:45

Don't put up with this now - arrange to halve your costs - forget her paying for petrol - it won't happen or else drop her if it irritates you at all - there are always other friends!

Anya Tue 25-Apr-17 12:45:12

Invest in one of those three wheeler thingies that help,with walking. Keep it in your boot and make her use it. Some have attachments for bags too so firmly place here in it.

Then inform her that you can no longer afford to pay for the outing weekly so in future you'll meet up once a fortnight if you are going to have to pay.

Be polite, grit your teeth and smile and make this al seem so reasonable she'll have to adjust to your needs.

I haven't read all the 3 pages of posts but I suspect there are some other good ideas there too.

handmadedogsweaters Tue 25-Apr-17 13:07:57

Ring her and tell her you can`t afford to go out next week as you have a big bill to pay, if she says ok. and doesn`t offer to take you out. Dump her.

cc Tue 25-Apr-17 13:22:27

I think that Bluebelle might be right, some older people do get a feeling of entitlement if their friends and family always pay for them and take them everywhere by car.
However you seem to value her friendship, so perhaps straight talking would be the answer, I have a feeling that subtlety might not work with this rather thick-skinned woman so you will have to be very straightforward!
handmadedogsweaters' suggestion is good. Also the idea of using a taxi, or splitting the bill for the meal every week - either way you'll pretty soon find out whether or not she wants to continue to go if she is paying for herself.

123kitty Tue 25-Apr-17 14:07:33

You say you enjoy her friendship- so don't lose it, just alter things a little. Next time you have a lunch date arranged ring the day before and explain you're short of time so will just call round for a coffee at her home with her, tell her you'll bring the cakes. Good luck x

PamelaJ1 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:50:29

Perhaps your friend is beginning to suffer from dementia, has she always behaved like this or it iT a recent development?

I don't think you are responding to the comments on this thread Maura.

Tessa101 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:00:36

Harsh as it sounds, why not try going down the route of telling her you can't make it a few times just to see if it sparks her into realising how kind you are to her.I know you enjoy your meals/ meets but it sounds like it's not going to last much longer if she carries on like this.

Aslemma Tue 25-Apr-17 15:12:43

Firstly about the blue badge. It is not necessary to be a driver to get one and I am always reminded to bring mine when going in someone's car. Walking sticks? You can get very pretty folding ones in a variety of colours on Amazon for peanuts. Regarding sharing the cost of lunch, I think it would be easier to each pay for your own food and drink rather than taking it in turns, and you need to let her know your thoughts on this when you are next due to go out, then you can remind her on the day to make sure she has her purse. If she pleads poverty simply say that you can cancel lunch that day and arrange another day when she is better placed. You have been a good friend to her and obviously enjoy her company but, forgive me for reminding you, you are no spring chicken yourself and the situation has gone on long enough.

Hm999 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:20:59

50-50 bill each time.

Drop her off near door. Hazard lights on, help her out car, maybe get an employee to assist her, then park the car

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 15:26:17

Possibly the friend doesn't want to apply for a blue badge because she feels that she is no longer up to driving, for whatever reason, but she doesn't like to say so.

The heavy bag reminds me of a young woman I knew at college. She had been shoving lots of stuff in her bag and not looking in it. It was part of her feeling very stressed and not wanting to think things through.
Maybe the friend feels a bit like this as her faculties diminish.

You can't keep putting up with all this, though, mauraB, and there are some great suggestions on this thread for you.

The money thing needs to be sorted out at some time when the bill is not immediately in front of you, I'd say, to remove pressure from you both.

Mauriherb Tue 25-Apr-17 16:16:34

I agree with others that you could drop her off at the door then go to park. Then when you get the bill put your half on the table and get up to go and get the car, leaving her to pay the balance

VIOLETTE Tue 25-Apr-17 16:37:21

Difficult but you have to be honest and say you are no longer able to keep this arrangement up. If she is unhappy about your decision, suggest you come round/she comes to yours/just for coffee and cake.

Age UK.libraries, CB might have some notions of where you might find a lunch club ....some can even arrange transport to pick you both up from your homes (there will be a charge,but not as much as a private taxi) in a mini bus ....it is not so much charity as a chance to meet other people for lunch and a chat and a reasonably priced meal you could both pay for separately ! She/you may not like the idea of a lunch club but it might solve the problem, If you suggest it to her anyway, see what her reaction is ,,,if it is negative tell her you simple do not have the money to pay petrol and a meal for you both and that your strength is not what it was ........if she has no sympathy or empathy and only wants to feel sorry for herself at these new arrangements, you simply have to say sorry ,,,give me a call if you would like to take up one of these ideas,,,,leave it at that and see what happens ! Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind !flowers

mags1234 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:39:51

Before your next outing, I'd phone and say, things are getting so expensive that from now on you each pay for your own meal. I'd also say in advance that now she s needing help with walking you are going to drop her off before parking. And stick to it!

Conni7 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:00:47

As you are in your eighties yourself, you need to take care not to fall. Therefore, to let her down lightly, I would be too busy to meet her next time. Just say you will phone her when you have more time. She is obviously not keen to drive any more, and maybe she shouldn't. You need to think more of your own safety, and she is being thoroughly selfish here. Some good suggestions about joining other luncheon groups.

Bluegayn58 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:23:03

You say you enjoy her friendship - but are you being really honest with yourself? If you feel resentful - and I can totally understand why - then perhaps not meet up so often.

This will give you time between meet ups to consider if you REALLY want to.

The big bag - she could try using a trolley bag for her very large purse. If she is becoming very immobile, I see no reason why not trying to get a blue badge - although these are usually linked to disabled benefits. But if you don't ask you don't get.

She sounds to me like she does not want to appear dependent upon others, but willingly accepts assistance when needed (I know someone very much like this).

Perhaps it's time for her to apply for Attendance Allowance, which would provide finance for care - the care you give when going out. As friends, you should be able to talk about these matters which could greatly help you both. Take care lovely lay xx

Bluegayn58 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:24:04

Oh - LADY I meant :D

mauraB Wed 26-Apr-17 00:25:04

Many thanks for all the ideas. I have tried some of them in the past. She has a tripod wheelie but it is a heavy one and I struggle to get it in my smallish boot. I could move the back seat forward to make more space, must remember to do this. We always go to my house after the meal for a cuppa and chat, putting the world to rights. I have told her that pulling my arm is painful sometimes but she forgets! I think splitting the bill is a good idea, I think I will just put it in front of her and say that is so much each. I am against 'having it out' with her that would be very stressful!
I can remember many times in life I when I have regretted things I said but not once do I remember regretting the fact that I kept my mouth shut. It's good to go on line and pour out my frustration.

Many thanks for all the ideas. I have tried some of them in the past. She has a tripod wheelie but it is a heavy one and I struggle to get it in my smallish boot. I could move the back seat forward to make more space, must remember to do this. We always go to my house after the meal for a cuppa and chat, putting the world to rights. I have told her that pulling my arm is painful sometimes but she forgets! I think splitting the bill is a good idea, I think I will just put it in front of her and say that is so much each. I am against 'having it out' with her that would be very stressful!
I can remember many times in life I when I have regretted things I said but not once do I remember regretting the fact that I kept my mouth shut. It's good to go on line and pour out my frustration.

mauraB Wed 26-Apr-17 00:28:28

Does anyone know why my posts sometimes appear thee times?