Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bedside rugs

(80 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 14:56:30

DH has just gone ballistic because he "nearly" (according to,him) tripped over "that bloody mat" I.e.a (washable) bedside rug. Not thick, not sticky up , but there for a variety of reasons not least being a pale gold bedroom carpet (my stupid idea) and that because he can get sick in the night, a plastic washing up bowl is often kept beside the bed. When he was really poorly he had to sit on the edge of the bed to use a bottle. Nuff said.
Added to that, I had noticed that "his" side was getting grey just by the bed because it presumably gets more "footfall". He always wears felt Birkenstocks as slippers in the house, never outdoor shoes but even so.
AIBU to think it is a good idea rather than have a grubby potentially stained carpet?
(I should add he often doesn't pick his feet up very well, so I bet that was part of it angry )

MawBroon Fri 12-May-17 14:33:25

sad
She was sparklygrandma ?

SparklyGrandma Fri 12-May-17 11:04:00

Mawbroon gorgeous dog.....

Anya Mon 08-May-17 16:42:33

Leonora sad

Lona Mon 08-May-17 14:26:43

Leonora47 condolences flowers

Leonora47 Mon 08-May-17 13:54:18

How sad it is to read these comments on aging husbands. It seems that they are regarded as unsanitary nuisances.
My dear husband died recently, after thirteen years of deterioration from Alzheimer's into Dementia. I cared for him at home ' til his death.
How I would love to hear him call me to help him to the loo again! He was doubly incontinent in the end, and stains and accidents became commonplace; but love forgives all.

aggie Sun 07-May-17 20:27:57

violette I hope your OH gets medication for his Parkinson's Disease , we found it helped a lot . OH used a bottle at night but then staggered over to the bathroom to empty it , not a good idea .
maw I think the idea of using a rug to cover the stains and removing it at night is an excellent idea !

HildaW Sun 07-May-17 20:05:32

Nothing I've seen on this thread falls into the judgemental or rude category. Yes, there are some matter of fact comments and there are people referring to some complex and unpleasant issues in a down to earth manner, but no one is being rude or judgemental (and that only ever means someone else's opinion anyway). Often a bit of unadorned truth is just what is needed. When we were coping with dementia I was always glad of a bit of truth and rye humour - otherwise it just all too grim to cope with.

thatbags Sun 07-May-17 16:23:17

Sometimes saying something controversial or something seen as unsympathetic is actually of more help and support to someone with a problem than all the kind remarks in the world. Such a response can make you get to grips with a problem. I speak from experiencing just such on Mumsnet.

This may not apply in the case on this thread. I'm not saying it does. I'm just responding to the post above this one.

Aslemma Sun 07-May-17 15:32:35

Yet another case of certain Gransnetters being rude and judgemental. I've always believed that if you can't say something which is helpful, supportive or kind it is best to keep your mouth shut or your fingers off the keyboard.

BlueBelle Sun 07-May-17 07:40:42

If you use a rug can you get grips to keep it stable and make sure the nearside edge is kelp under the bed so his feet go straight onto the rug and have no chance of rucking it up, that's all I can think off to accommodate both you and him

Anya Sun 07-May-17 07:39:03

MawBroon surely the answer is simply to remove the rug at night when he is likely to trip over it and then replace it during daylight hours to cover any unsightly patches?

Anya Sun 07-May-17 07:34:48

Violette so sorry to read of your DH's diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. Our dear next door neighbour was diagnosed with this and his wife found much help,and solice from the Parkinson's Disease Society

If you follow the blue link you might find the help you're looking for flowers

Menopaws Sun 07-May-17 07:27:03

All the best Mawbroon whatever you decide to do

farmgran Sun 07-May-17 06:50:34

A bucket is much easier for men to wee in than a bottle. They seem to be more at home with a bucket maybe it seems less medical.
At the hospital where I used to work we had large rubber mats with a nylon topping which were heavy and flush with the carpet. Nobody ever tripped over them and they were taken outside and hosed down when neccessary.
Old men can be such a pain, mine has just shuffled down the hall to demand where his tea is. sigh....

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 23:17:32

He may decide himself that he would like to use an aid such as a rollator even if just in the night to get up for the loo when you might feel still slightly woozy.

Otherwise you may have to remove the rugs and make sure that he has a pair of well-fitting sturdy slippers with velcro fastenings - and make sure he doesn't leave them by the bed where he could trip over them.

Caro1954 Sat 06-May-17 22:54:57

Violette I'm sorry I can offer only sympathy rather than advice. I have no experience in dealing with Parkinson's but it occurred to me that your DH has only recently been diagnosed and perhaps, when he has had time to come to terms with things, he may be more agreeable to seeking help, advice etc. I wish you both all the very best. flowers

VIOLETTE Sat 06-May-17 21:33:12

an interesting topic as my husband has just last week, following several falls, difficulty lifting his feet when walking, and tremor in his hands ...been diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease ...albeit a new diagnosis, I had notice over the last few weeks he was getting progressively worse and I had been thinking of removing the rugs in the house ..trouble is, we have tiled floors throughout and he complains his feet are cold when he gets up in the night when I removed the rug ...he complains when it is down that he catches his foot in it ....so what to do ? a fall onto tiles would not be good (I know I fell in the bedroom some years ago and broke my femur) ....he refuses to use the rollator the doc prescribed to him and refuses to use a stick ...he will not consider any other implement to use instead of getting out of bed for the toile and there isn't room in the bedroom for a commode ...and he says he doesn't want one anyway ! All of this is probably a reaction to his diagnosis ..but also he refuses to accept the likely limitations to his mobility that are probably inevitable ....this is a difficult one ...he does not wish to discuss it, or read information provided about it ..he is in denial ...any advice from ladies out there who have partners with this disease please ? (I am intending to join various fora/forum as well, so at least I can communicate with others !) Thankyou in advance !

Cherrytree59 Sat 06-May-17 20:38:59

Laminate or wood flooring although hygienic could cause a nasty injury if your DH had a fall.
At least carpet and a rug would mean a much softer landing .

Do you have any left over carpet that could placed on top of your carpet between your DH's side of the bed and maybe the wall? A carpet is usually much heavier than a rug and less likely to move.u
Some carpet shops provide a whipping service.

When we had our hall decorated the decorators covered the carpet with a type of plastic cling film that adhered to the flooring.
It came on a large roll and had the added advantage of lifting any bits of fluff up!
It would provide good protection for your carpet.
it is not slippery.
We were able to walk up and down stairs quite easily

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-May-17 19:28:22

Maybe then Anjela , as you rightly say, you don't know the situation of the person posting you might like to offer advice in a gentler manner ?

You might feel Maw posted unkindly , but it might have been better to find out more details before shooting the messenger smile

Ana Sat 06-May-17 19:20:14

Although you could have restricted your critical posts to just the one, after you'd read the other posts.

ajanela Sat 06-May-17 19:10:22

Yes I do comment regularly on posts but not noted the details of Maws life I find many of the posts on gransnet very interesting and helpful insight into being a grandparent

I think many times there have been posts that when the OP has come back and given us more information we have a completely different picture. When posting we must think how does this read to someone that knows nothing about me.

merlotgran Sat 06-May-17 18:53:47

It's the minor moans that keep us going wink

Ana Sat 06-May-17 18:35:57

Yes, some of us have probably been too hard on you ajanela, as of course you do not know the back history and that of course MawBroon loves her DH unconditionally and accompanies him to his frequent visits to hospital for his various treatments.

It was just a minor moan...smile

kittylester Sat 06-May-17 18:35:45

ajanela, I don't think you are new so might have seen Maw's posts before. And anyway, most of us try to be supportive!

ajanela Sat 06-May-17 18:22:31

Some of you seem to know OP but reading her post as someone who doesn't know her it doesn't read like she is now telling me. I also dislike "Put downs" that may be meant jokingly but how am I to know that and it read very unkindly about her husband. I would never write something like that in a public forum about my sick husband. Remember this is not a private group where everyone nows one another's story but open to any gransnetters who can only comment on what they read,

Writing is not like speaking face to face when you have facial expressions and body language to interpret what a person means.