Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bedside rugs

(79 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 14:56:30

DH has just gone ballistic because he "nearly" (according to,him) tripped over "that bloody mat" I.e.a (washable) bedside rug. Not thick, not sticky up , but there for a variety of reasons not least being a pale gold bedroom carpet (my stupid idea) and that because he can get sick in the night, a plastic washing up bowl is often kept beside the bed. When he was really poorly he had to sit on the edge of the bed to use a bottle. Nuff said.
Added to that, I had noticed that "his" side was getting grey just by the bed because it presumably gets more "footfall". He always wears felt Birkenstocks as slippers in the house, never outdoor shoes but even so.
AIBU to think it is a good idea rather than have a grubby potentially stained carpet?
(I should add he often doesn't pick his feet up very well, so I bet that was part of it angry )

grannylyn65 Thu 04-May-17 15:07:18

Stick to your guns !!!

gillybob Thu 04-May-17 15:16:47

I agree with grannylyn . Don't give in MawBroon.

I have a lovely, soft, fluffy rug at my side (so my feet feel all cosy when I get out of bed) but nothing at DH's side. I am sick to death of black sock fluff all over his side of the (cream) bedroom carpet. I also find it at the very bottom of the bed. Grrr. He insists that it's not from him but....

a) I don't wear black socks (he does)
b) He is over 6ft and his toes reach the bottom of the bed, mine don't.
c) I NEVER get into his side of the bed. So don't even stand on that bit of carpet.

Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 15:39:20

Sorry Maw but you're being a bit U!

Given DH's physical problems, a 'bloody mat' is the last thing he needs - not his fault that you chose a pale gold carpet grin

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 15:43:35

Given the occasional miss over the sick bowl and a dribble after using he bed bottle I venture to disagree(strongly)!!

Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 15:51:45

Maybe put a large towel down, that can then be taken away in the morning so he doesn't trip over it?

I know in principle it's the same as having a washable rug there but you're more likely to remove a towel rather than a rug, if you get my drift!

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 15:58:40

Boo hoo
I also hate the "grey" patch from his slippers/feet (never goes barefoot, but brings talc back on the soles of his slippers from the bathroom) sad
#messiestdhimaginable

Ana Thu 04-May-17 15:59:05

How long has 'that bloody mat' been there, MawBroon?

I reckon it's a very good idea and if it's been in place for a while, serving its purpose, then it's DH's own fault for 'nearly' tripping over it and he was just having a bit of a bluster.

Obviously you don't realy want him to do himself a mischief. Is there any way of fixing the rug so it won't move?

kittylester Thu 04-May-17 16:10:12

No you are not.

A slightly different take on a similar subject, years ago, during the menopause, I suffered very severe flooding. We paid privately for me to see a consultant who had a cream carpet by the patient couch. he examined me and as I stood up I gave him a perfect example of my problem all over his lovely carpet. blush

There was a rug there next time I visited him.

Suki70 Thu 04-May-17 16:10:36

I think you can buy some gripper or double sided sticky tape to attach the mat to the carpet. Can fully understand your reasons for having the mat there!

TriciaF Thu 04-May-17 16:16:02

Oh dear - trying to think of a solution MawBroon.
Our bedroom floor is just floorboards but we have washable mats at each side.
What about a length of washable runner carpet along his side?

aggie Thu 04-May-17 16:19:26

The OT whisked all my rugs away when OH was diagnosed with PD , now have Cushionfloor in his bedroom , still not allowed rugs because of the wheelchair sad

HildaW Thu 04-May-17 16:58:59

Playing 'devil's advocate' here..... a few years ago, when FIL came out of hospital having had a bit of a fall the lovely lady who did a home visit to sort out any apparatus/aids that would help him basically said all the rugs have to go and he must wear 'proper' slippers! Hey ho!

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 17:06:48

It's been there for a good few years, bu it does "creep" however, it shouldn't cause anyone to trip. But I take all your points and will try (?) to see both sides.
Maybe I need a fresh look at it.

JackyB Thu 04-May-17 21:18:49

I recently bought some microfibre bathroom mats - they come in all colours and are ridiculously cheap (less than 5 Euros each). They are far to flimsy to trip over, but would admirably protect the carpet and can be changed/washed daily. I only use mine in the bathroom, but they will go anywhere, of course - they are sort of chenille.

Izabella Fri 05-May-17 12:30:09

Any OT! Physio or district nurse doing a home visit would advise removing all rugs from the homes of the elderly. Although in my experience not many take any notice!! They are a hazard and the cause of many preventable falls. I understand why people put them down but they are a hazard.

cornergran Fri 05-May-17 13:15:02

Feel for you mawb, sort of a last straw I guess. How wobbly is Mr M? If you were doing an Health and Safety assessment would you think it was a minimal risk? Or big enough to take action? I guess everything in a home can be potentially dangerous. When we had a caravan we bought a roll of see through plastic stuff that stuck to he carpets to protect them during trips to the caravan garage. I don't recall it being slippery, it was often replaced for muddy trips out, but it could be just as risky I guess. Maybe the microfibre rugs could work, they do stick. Suspect Mr M was just having a bad day. Hope it resolves. These things matter.

harrigran Fri 05-May-17 17:32:32

I know it is annoying but rugs really are a health hazard for the old and sick. I had room size Persian rugs that used to climb up the walls and furniture, I gave them to DD who has heavier furniture and they stayed put angry

seacliff Fri 05-May-17 17:43:21

I would definitely want some sort of mat there in the circumstances.

I have a large washable cream bathroom rug there. It has some sort of grip on bottom ends, so doesn't creep.

radicalnan Sat 06-May-17 09:23:12

Get a few flimsy bath ones or use towels that can go in the wash every day or that rug will PONG over time.

maddyone Sat 06-May-17 09:40:54

Definitely need something there Maw or your carpet will get very grubby.
The black bits on the light coloured carpet as Gillybob said is a problem I recognise, every night when DH goes up to get ready for bed, there they are all over the bedroom and landing floor. I use a sticky roller thing to wizz them up quickly without bothering to vacuum. That won't solve Maw's problem though, she definitely needs the rug.

JanaNana Sat 06-May-17 09:50:37

A few years ago this was a problem with my late MiL. She developed an illness were there were frequent little accidents with her falling over. Several times she was admitted to hospital for assessments. We removed all bedside mats/rugs ,just leaving the carpet on the advice of an occupational therapist who came out to do a risk assessment/ health and safety revue. That went well for quite a while until she then started to bladder problems so there was further "accidents" to deal with.! In the end we re- carpeted her bedroom using carpet tiles. Simple to lay/fit easy to clean, and you can remove them individually if a stain is really bad and needs a good scrub. You use double sided tape when you initially lay them.They are warm and quiet underfoot and very easy to hoover as well. Maybe this could be a consideration for you at some point. Homebase and Wickes sell these and Homebase will deliver really quickly. Some older people tend not to lift their feet up properly so rugs anywhere in the home could be a trip hazard.

Soniah Sat 06-May-17 10:39:34

How will you feel if he does fall over it and hurts himself? Just saying . . .

henetha Sat 06-May-17 10:44:27

Those carpet tiles are a good idea, JanaNana.
With my dodgy knees I've been warned endlessly not to have any rugs, but, oh dear, I do love a nice fluffy rug by the side of my bed. So I am being disobediant, - the fluffy rug stays, regardless! I'll have to eat my words when I fall over it, I suppose.

ajanela Sat 06-May-17 10:45:55

Your husband has health problems and keeping him safe is more important than your carpet looking pretty. As others have said rugs are a complete No and the biggest cause of falls in the elderly, you risk him tripping and breaking a bone. Would you like to be nursing him with a broken hip. Should the NHS have to treat him because you chose a pretty rather than practical floor covering which you feel is more important than your husband's safety Doesn't pick up his feet, a sign of aging and another reason to remove rugs. I find your post rather unkind to your husband who appears to have a number of medical problems and his home (as well as yours) must be adapted to this.

A laminated floor is the best solution which can be quickly mopped. Carpets are very unhygienic and very limited in most modern homes. I suppose if you tripped on the rug and injured yourself that would also be his fault for having health problems.

A house is a home for living in not a show place.