Gransnet forums

AIBU

3 pairs of scissors!!!

(36 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 05-May-17 18:04:42

DH has been visiting his DM today and has returned home with with 3 pairs of old scissors all exactly the same
small with rounded off 'points'.
I suggested the bin.
We have scissors to spare in various shapes. and sizes.
He said 'no - they maybe be in useful'
I demonstrated on the porridge box that all three would not cut butter!
DH ?
Well he went off and put them with in the garage with all the other crap useful stuffhmm
Grrr

Beammeupscottie Sun 07-May-17 20:09:16

I feel like weeping sometimes when I see what he is hanging on to;
Old stereo equipment from the seventies; old batteries; old curtains for dust covers; old shoes; old clothes; unused furniture and table/standard lamps; old tins of paint and terrible old brushes for said paint. Old newspapers; books, magazines and brochures/leaflets. And one old woman who is nearly at the end of her tether.

Cherrytree59 Sun 07-May-17 21:25:41

Beammeupscottie I think its in the genes!
I'm sure early caveman had a very useful stash of mammoth bones and flints wink

Beammeupscottie Sun 07-May-17 22:23:42

I try to sneak his rubbish in the bin when he is out. I hide stuff at the bottom. Sometimes he finds something and brings it back in and starts ranting that I have no right to throw away his things. It's a battle,

Auntieflo Sun 07-May-17 22:36:34

PRINTMISS, don't dispose of your chest of drawers, Upcycle it and sell it for a fortune a la " Money for Nothing" programme.

Cherrytree59 Sun 07-May-17 23:19:57

Beammeupscottie It seems that your DH has developed an attachment to things .
unfortunately even if you manage to sneak some stuff into the bin , it will mostly likely be replaced with other stuff.

A friends mother collects newspapers and bottles, she does recognise that she has a problem and will allow her daughter to have the occasional sort out .
However the newspapers and bottles soon build up again.

I suppose it depends if your DH thinks he has problem.
Will your DH talk to you about why he feels he needs to keep so much?

Your GN name is probably very apt & expresses how you feel.smile

Hopehope Sun 07-May-17 23:55:58

We or rather " He" also has an old chest of drawers in the shed,filled with stuff which may one day be needed/useful. I just think about if/when we have to move. He says he will sort it out, and has spent several afternoons doing just this, but the sorting out so faradds up to ONE thing being thrown away. This is going to be a long, and painful job grin

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 08:35:26

He knows he has a problem and wills himself, sometimes, to look away when I'm suggesting a clear-out. People like him get terrified of losing stuff that might have a use. The best I can do is to say it is going to a Charity shop, or, in the case of worn-out clothes, to be recycled as carpet underlay. It's discardment leading to destruction that bothers him. I try to be positive. He is so frugal it allows me to spend. He is generous with money and is wonderful with his children and grandchildren; helps with housework and is fastidious with personal appearance. You can't have everything, can you?

Cornishgirl777 Mon 08-May-17 10:02:48

I'm finding great comfort in reading these posts,as my DH is the same. His answer is that he needs more space for his stuff. What's the benefit of keeping every single magazine that you buy,might read,will never read,never know you have? Don't get me started on piles of newspapers...at least with those they can be gently disrupted so they fall over. Jenga for adults. What a shame that quiet persistent discussion ,or even a fishwife special rant makes no difference. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 10:14:44

Sneak tactics. take those yellowing papers from the bottom and quietly put stuff aside to bin and wait and see if he notices!
What really worries me is the amount of paperwork he keeps.He keeps till receipts and bank statements going back years. He has all the documentation for all the cars we have ever had. I say to him "Doesn't it worry you that I will have to work through a forest of paper when you drop off your perch". His answer is "No. Because I will be dead and have nothing to worry about.

Cornishgirl777 Mon 08-May-17 10:19:36

We used to have a skip every couple of years,but they've shot up in price recently.