Gransnet forums

AIBU

ITv's This Morning

(153 Posts)
Janetblogs Sun 04-Jun-17 20:10:03

Did anybody see Tuesday's This Morning with Eammon and Ruth when they interviewed Janet and Malcolm about his affair
Hands up that was me !
Actually it was great fun - Eammon andRuth are a really lovely couple - warm approachable and love bickering with Eammon other
Got hair and makeup done as and got paid !!
Affair happened but we are stronger than ever
But can't believe how fat I looked

Sunlover Mon 05-Jun-17 17:27:17

I too would never discuss anything this personal on the TV. However, some rather harsh nasty comments on here.

trisher Mon 05-Jun-17 17:33:31

I didn't see it. I don't watch This Morning. I hate Eammon and Ruth, a more shallow couple I have yet to see. In fact I don't see the point of this post except as a bit of self-promotion.

Willow500 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:34:00

I didn't see the item either but feel the comments a bit harsh especially about the program itself. I don't watch all the time but have the tv on while I work and sometimes catch the end of it at lunchtime. The presenters are far from z listers and the articles they cover are varied and often very interesting/funny/controversial/tragic in no particular order. I can't comment on the OP's appearance but I think for someone to forgive their other half for an affair deserves some respect rather than derision.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:35:21

saak not meant unkindly
smile

but quite funny saying that most on this thread should be struck off the site hmm

TriciaF Mon 05-Jun-17 17:37:23

"I too would never discuss anything this personal on the TV."
Me neither, in fact I hid things like that from everyone.
I didn't watch the programme, Janet, but I can think of some positive things that could come out of it.
These potentially philandering husbands might think twice, and behave themselves.
But OTOH they might think, good idea, never thought of that. I could be on TV. It's a dangerous subject.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 05-Jun-17 17:40:01

No not funny at all.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:41:43

OK, I agree
Ironic would be more appropriate.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 05-Jun-17 17:44:24

I personally don't agree with putting people down with misplaced "humour".

Again, Jalima... really?

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:44:49

hmm

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:47:07

I personally don't agree with putting people down with misplaced "humour".
I think a lot of posters have noticed that.

Saying that Most on this thread should be struck off the site. is ironic imo.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 05-Jun-17 17:48:25

Why is it ironic? What are you saying Jalima is it in "code"?

Menopaws Mon 05-Jun-17 20:08:44

How can u be proud of this? Unbelievable

stillaliveandkicking Mon 05-Jun-17 20:12:30

Not sure whether its an I'm proud of this post. I read it as she's forgiven him for her own reasons and yes they are hers, not yours Meno.

Leonora47 Mon 05-Jun-17 23:40:58

Gransnet is a marvellous source of kind advice for anyone with a problem, be it with family, emotional or practical.
Janet seems to be asking if we think she is being unreasonable. Some of feel that airing personal marriage difficulties on TV isn't the best of ideas, and have said so.
I can only hope that the public airing of a couple's problems has helped them to reach some final conclusion to their breakdown.

Janetblogs Tue 06-Jun-17 06:14:11

It happened , I forgave him our marriage is strong and I can't believe with one or two exceptions how judgmental and hyper critical you Grans net people are .
Apparently you don't watch light entertainment, you don't have any truck with celebrity gossip, you keep yourselves to yourselves , you only read high brow newspapers, and you probably still donkey stone your front door steps.
My situation has helped loads of others in similar situations - I'm not saying it's right for everyone but it was right for us and I'm quite happy to talk about it since it does help others
Having hair makeup done was a light-hearted way of ensuring I felt good when going on national TV but i suppose that too is forbidden by you gransnets purists
I had thought this forum was an interesting place to chat, but I am sadly mistaken since this is not the only thread riddled with disparaging comments
As a former national magazine journalist I am well used to people wanting to talk and if it helps it helps

vampirequeen Tue 06-Jun-17 06:34:22

I think you posted under the wrong thread title Janetblogs and that caused some confusion.

I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad your marriage survived such a betrayal. It's good to know that marriages can survive and infidelity isn't necessarily the end of everything.

hondagirl Tue 06-Jun-17 07:37:40

I agree with Tippy22, Nightowl and Anya. I am frankly very surprised and saddened about some of the aggressive and rude comments, some of them quite personal. This type of thing will put people off posting on here. We must remember that when things are written it is not always easy to read and understand the tone of a post and I feel many of the comments were unwarranted. There seem to be several posters who go out of their way to be very unwelcoming. I think if they have nothing positive to say or if the post does not interest them or they think it strange then they should do nothing.

I also think that some of the posters need to go back and reread the netiquette of this forum. As the posts on here are not monitored before posting maybe we should be more vigilant about reporting any posts which we feel are unacceptable or unkind to the moderators.

MawBroon Tue 06-Jun-17 08:43:30

A lot can come down to initial impressions, can't it?
If janet had posted in Relationships or even TV etc her point might have been more obvious. But more than a few of us were initially confused about what she was actually saying.
As a journalist she will appreciate the importance of the headline above an article and this sort of got off on the wrong foot.
As I don't watch This Morning, this was the first I had heard of it, but good luck to Janet and her DH, I hope all will continue to go well for them.

merlotgran Tue 06-Jun-17 08:50:49

Yes. It came across as crowing. Not much fun for anyone suffering the aftermath of a devastating affair.

AIBU? asks a question which some of us answered so it was definitely the wrong thread.

trisher Tue 06-Jun-17 09:36:12

Janetblog as a journalist you are surely aware of the subtext of writing. If you re-read your own post you will possibly see why you got the answers you did. There are heaps of posts on GN about relationships which are answered sensitively and with care, so the clue to the answers you have received is in your words.
As for your rant about posters n GN. I think we are as varied a bunch of people as you will find anywhere and some of us like some of the things you mention and some don't.
If some are helped by your experiences that is great, but perhaps such a light hearted post about such a serious and emotional subject isn't the right way to go.

Charleygirl Tue 06-Jun-17 09:52:59

Hear, hear trisher.

May I say I would never write something on GN that I would not say to somebody's face.

trisher Tue 06-Jun-17 09:56:49

There may even be some GNetters who Donkey Stone their doorsteps but I'm certainly not one grin
Can you still buy Donkey Stone?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:04:21

Janet
No, I don't watch morning tv and I couldn't access the programme, only a picture of both of you nor did I see you in the DM so I cannot judge. Your OP was ambiguous as it was not clear if you were looking for sympathy, approbation or publicity for some reason.

I agree with trisher's post.

Excuse me, I must go and put a scarf over my curlers and donkey-stone the front step

harrigran Tue 06-Jun-17 10:05:02

What is a donkey stone ?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:07:08

X post, I will let you know where you can buy some trisher wink

It was a topic on MN!! who'd have thought it?
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2127777-To-Donkey-Stone-my-steps