Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hate this weather

(158 Posts)
maisiegreen Mon 19-Jun-17 19:11:08

I'm sitting here, sweating. Not even doing anything, just melting like an ice lolly. I haven't got the energy to do anything. Roll on the end of the week and sensible weather.

Glenfinnan Wed 21-Jun-17 09:56:38

DH has breathing problems at the best of times this weather makes it so much worse. I'm having air conditioning fitted in sitting room next week, he can also sleep there when necessary. Who would ever have thought we would need it in this country!

DanniRae Wed 21-Jun-17 10:02:22

Thanks Wilma for answering my weather question! smile

TriciaF Wed 21-Jun-17 11:40:18

I had a 'funny turn' this morning while out on some errands.
I went into the bank to get some cash, felt giddy, and had problems breathing. It only lasted a few seconds TG.
But it's a warning to others who like me suffer from heart and blood pressure problems, not to overdo it and drink plenty of water.
We're still in 'canicule' heat level here. (SW France.)

annodomini Wed 21-Jun-17 12:14:22

I can feel the humidity building. Have just come in from the garden and downed a pint of lime and soda! I've watered all my pots just in case the threatened storm passes us by.

gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 12:19:04

I remember spectacular thunder and lightening storms when I was a child in the 70's Wilma The one we had in the North East this morning was on par with those.

Its still very warm but the storm did little to clear the air and I feel that another one could be brewing.

Maybe its god showing us that he is very cross hmm

callgirl1 Wed 21-Jun-17 16:07:01

We had thunder and lightening yesterday morning, with torrential rain, but it only lasted about 10 minutes, before becoming hot again.
My grandma used to open all doors and windows during thunderstorms, to let thunderbolts get out if one came down the chimney, I believed every word!

Mamie Wed 21-Jun-17 16:16:47

It is our 48th wedding anniversary and we are trying to celebrate - but - it is 37° outside and 29° everywhere in the house. The shutters and windows are shut, the fans are on and the champagne and champagne glasses are ready in the fridge.
Best we can do...

Tiggersuki Wed 21-Jun-17 16:17:16

Maisie I'm with you, while I usually love the sun this yo yo weather is ridiculous and I too am too hot to even think straight

Chewbacca Wed 21-Jun-17 19:08:33

Storm is just brewing here in NW. Low rumbling of thunder and the sky is a weird yellowy grey. Everything is very still and even the birds have gone quiet. Hope it clears the air because it's stiflingly humid here.
Is anyone here afraid or nervous in thunderstorms? I'm usually not bothered by them but we had one last year that seemed to be directly overhead. A bolt of lightening hit the lightening conducter on a nearby tall building and the noise was like nothing I'd ever heard before. That scared me a bit!

rosesarered Wed 21-Jun-17 19:37:17

No sign of a storm here ( grumble grumble) hot and blue skies all day long, it's so not fair now I shall have to water all the pots yet again.

Iam64 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:09:12

I'm still determined not to grumble or says"it's too hot" but confess it's more of an effort than it was a couple of days ago.
I managed an hour starting the task of tidying and weeding the front garden. It went wild while I was away. an hour was enough though I'm nowhere near finished.
Off to have a second shower. We have had some brief downpours and it's still sticky and humid.

Iam64 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:10:44

Chewbacca, I'm in the north west as well, hence my attempt not to grumble. We have so much grey, wet weather but I welcomed the brief spells of rain earlier.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:12:15

It will rain tonight.
We have just watered grin

However, there hailstones are forecast so I hope they don't bash my plants around if they arrive here.

Chewbacca Wed 21-Jun-17 20:15:07

Hi Iam64. The promise of a storm has vapourised! Just hot, muggy atmosphere that's turning my hair to frizz and feeling utterly lethargic. Hope it breaks soon, it's difficult to sleep when it's like this.

Iam64 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:24:42

I agree Chewbacca. I'm currently sharing the sofa with a large hairy dog. She's finally gone to sleep, having had a panting spell. We have all the windows open. The dogs were walked for half an hour ,slowly at 9 am when the were off lead and swam the stream and another on lead half hour before 6pm. Other than this, they have found the coolest place to sleep in.
I'm lethargic, my hair is sticky and so am I.
Maybe we'll havevacrealbstorm overnight. Sleep well everyone

phoenix Wed 21-Jun-17 20:27:22

I "had" to go into work today,(should be my day off) to oversee a photo shoot, as himself is away. (what I know about professional photography you you could write on the back of a stamp)

Thought i would pop up to my office (which is in the attic of a converted barn) to check emails etc.

After 20 minutes, there was sweat dripping off my face onto the desk! shock

Thank goodness it's not a job where I am expected to wear make up!

merlotgran Wed 21-Jun-17 20:47:35

I've just come in from the evening watering. We have storms forecast tonight so I hope there's not too much damage because it's taken me all my energy to keep everything going all week.

DD is doing bridesmaids' posies and buttonholes for a friend. It's all being picked up at 9am tomorrow so she'll be checking on them all night probably. She did a floristry course when the boys were small and often gets asked to do small weddings etc.

A sleepless night awaits us all as the dogs and cats hate storms!

shysal Wed 21-Jun-17 21:03:51

Happy anniversary mamie. Hope you managed to enjoy your day despite the weather.

No rain yet here in Oxfordshire, temperature 37c again, so I have watered, that should bring it on!

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 21:36:10

Just back from walking along the river and big black clouds to the west. Thunder forecast tomorrow

silverlining48 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:53:59

I shall miss it when we are back to our usual summer chill. Spent the evening sitting in the gatden til the solar lights switched themselves on. Only thing missing? A nice g and t and plenty of ice and lemon. Lovely. However i no longer work so would be a different thing having to commute/ work in this heat. Phew.

Lillie Thu 22-Jun-17 06:28:15

While on the subject of the sweltering weather, I'm surprised how many of the "older" generation still stick to the suit and tie for work. It's quite acceptable these days to have an open collar and chinos or even shorts in hot weather, but maybe some people feel their clothes make them who they are. I think at Ascot yesterday the gentlemen were allowed to take their jackets off!

Gagagran Thu 22-Jun-17 06:33:59

Humid and sticky here on the south coast. We could do with a good storm to clear the air and water the garden!

DanniRae Thu 22-Jun-17 08:23:28

Please no storm yet in London because my darling son has just gone off to a very important interview. He looked so smart and handsome in his suit and I don't want him to get rained on.
I feel more nervous for him than I would for myself!!

wildswan16 Thu 22-Jun-17 09:34:48

As my very wise elderly neighbour always says about weather of any description .... "its better than nothing".

MissAdventure Thu 22-Jun-17 10:40:11

Ha! Very true. Anyway, here in the south east it is overcast and muggy - maybe a storm brewing. For myself, I hope so, as I've tried, but still don't like being boiled alive.