Gransnet forums

AIBU

Here we go, another scary "germs!" advert.

(40 Posts)
phoenix Tue 20-Jun-17 20:29:19

Yes, I know this has been brought up before, but just seen an ad with a mum wiping down a slightly messy table with (shock horror) a dishcloth!

What a slattern, how can she sleep at night? Her slovenly ways were illustrated by showing that wiping over the surfaces with a piece of raw chicken may have less bacteria than her cloth shock

Well, thank goodness the advert was able to show us that Dettol produce a variety of wipes to help us keep our homes germ free!

Do you know, I'm just amazed that humans have managed to survive and reproduce for all this time, without disinfecting every surface that they might come into contact with.

MargaretX Mon 26-Jun-17 15:23:25

I always feel sorry for dogs living in these disinfected households. Their sense of smell is so strong they can't be happy surrounded by such unnatural smells.
I use a dish cloth and I wipe over surfaces with it. DD2 the biologist says a lot of bacteria doesn't live forever anyway and she uses dishcloths!
Most bacteria is not harmful for us otherwise we wouldn't have survived so long. Throw the Dettol away and stop buying it. Go green,, care for the environment.

Anya Mon 26-Jun-17 09:43:54

And nobody ever dies of sepsis these days, do they?

Teetime Mon 26-Jun-17 09:22:38

When I trained as an Infection Control Nurse we were taught that a huge number of studies had shown that surfaces should be cleaned with a general purpose detergent (washing up liquid) and a paper towel or if cloths were used they should be laundered at high temperatures. The important thing is to remove all organic matter (food, dirt etc) which then will remove bacteria. We were also taught that flushing is the best method if cleaning a loo, never use loo brushes and only use paper towels to wipe round- I do this plus some bleach if needed (!).

Do I do this now - NO! I use CIF as my work tops look and feel sticky if just washing up liquid used, I do use a lot of paper towels and launder the microfibre cloths a few times then discard to the shed/garage for car cleaning.

TwiceAsNice Sun 25-Jun-17 22:57:44

I use method spray too. Wash surface cloth regularly in the washing machine and just put a clean one out. Don't use detox wipes, do use baby wipes for all sorts of things

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 19:09:40

Dishcloth user here too, got a drawer full of them and chuck them in the washing machine, usually one a day. Dont use dettol, use the lovely smelling Method spray on worksurfaces.

HildaW Sun 25-Jun-17 19:07:49

The one that annoys me is the Dyson fan/air filter.......making out the average home is full of deadly pollutants that you must not breathe in. If we make our environments any 'cleaner' our immune systems will either pack up altogether....or more likely go into over drive and increase the number of auto immune illnesses that are about.

callgirl1 Sun 25-Jun-17 18:51:11

My MIL used her old (aertex?) knickers as dishcloths!

Penstemmon Sun 25-Jun-17 18:35:36

Hot soapy water is good enough for getting rid of most household germs! Does nobody use old underpants any more as cloths? My grandma did grin

Cubagran Sun 25-Jun-17 17:38:26

Sorry, should be wee, stupid predictive text!

Cubagran Sun 25-Jun-17 17:37:11

Oh Deedaa, our cat loved the smell of bleach and used to see wherever we'd used it!

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Jun-17 23:59:04

I don't think it contained any beneficial bacteria though Nelliemoser, although I suppose I could have scraped it up and put it on the garden as manure.

hmm

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Jun-17 23:57:22

I did hunt out the spray bottle of Dettol this evening because there was a big splat of what looked like bird poo (dried in the heat) on the conservatory floor.

No sign of a bird anywhere!

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Jun-17 23:29:12

Phoenix Please stop! I have already had many rants about Dettol and it's wipe everything that might have a few little bits of bacteria on.

I do quite like telling some of these Dettol fans just how much bacteria is in their guts and on their skin and are beneficial.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 23:02:12

I am such a lazy slut. Owned one bottle of dettol in my life which got chucked years afterwards (was playing wifey when we started living together in 1985 and set up a medicine shelf). I do use wipes sometimes (good for the screens on laptops, tablets, etc.), but they're bog standard ones. Dishcloths gets washed or changed as necessary according to how it looks. Don't know how we survived this long. grin

Deedaa Wed 21-Jun-17 22:47:08

Re the antiseptic sprays in restaurants ......
I was working in a cafe about 20 years ago and we used a bright purple spray which was kept behind the counter. One day an old man called me over and said that his wife had put some vinegar on her fish and chips and it didn't taste right. Yes! You've guessed! She'd taken a bottle of purple spray from behind the counter and sprayed it liberally over her chips!

Deedaa Wed 21-Jun-17 22:42:45

I once had a cat who adored the smell of bleach so I had to be awfully careful if I used it.

I do have to be careful with DH so I use the Dettol washing disinfectant when I'm washing towels and underwear at low temperatures.

annodomini Wed 21-Jun-17 12:10:09

What's a dishcloth?

yogagran Wed 21-Jun-17 11:35:28

I usually use a clean cloth every day and throw the used one in the washing machine with all our other clothes. I expect someone will tell me that I shouldn't wash the cloths with our dirty laundry hmm

glammanana Wed 21-Jun-17 10:54:48

sunseeker same here never had problems with food poisoning in 40+ years.

CaliBoingo Wed 21-Jun-17 10:43:01

phoenix - I love you! Cackling with laughter here! grin

phoenix Wed 21-Jun-17 10:35:23

Sorry absent blush

sunseeker Wed 21-Jun-17 10:30:10

I use a dishcloth and every night leave it in soak in a bleach solution - I have never given anyone food poisoning.

Eloethan Wed 21-Jun-17 09:21:58

I agree phoenix - and there is as terrible waste of energy and natural materials in producing these unnecessary products. But "the market" is now so distorted in favour of making profits at any cost, that it is now incumbent upon it to create multiple demands for things that nobody really needs. I also agree about anti-bacterial sprays and air fresheners (which have been shown to be damaging to health).

gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 07:31:15

After watching that "chicken"
Advert my 7 year old grandson said "grandma I wouldn't want to eat that chicken after it has wiped the babies highchair, would you?"

absent Wed 21-Jun-17 07:27:19

phoenix Medieval England – corsets?