Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be dismayed

(15 Posts)
Nannarose Tue 27-Jun-17 22:20:41

I have been involved in the Fair Trade movement since 1982. I know that there are some issues around the Fairtrade mark, as (rather like organic status) it can be difficult to get, and excludes some very genuine producers.
But it is the best that can be done at the moment, and I think we should continue to work towards better.
I rarely shop at any of the major supermarkets, for a lot of reasons. I buy milk, tea, and a few basic tinned things at my nearby Co-op.

W11girl Tue 27-Jun-17 19:16:34

I also agree with you..its all in the wording...they must think we're all stupid and cannot see through it...!

emilie Mon 26-Jun-17 20:06:57

Crazyg,I tried co-op fair trade tea afew weeks ago.I agree,best ever.

Crazygrandma2 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:14:42

Co-op do a lovely Fair Trade tea. Wouldn't buy any other.

Jaycee5 Mon 26-Jun-17 12:13:28

Sorry - the link didn't work but it is still online.

Jaycee5 Mon 26-Jun-17 12:12:38

In many countries it is a very good system but in others does not work well. Al Jazeera had a very good documentary about the problems caused by Dutch management of the banana trade (which I can't find now).
There is this: theguardian.com/global-development/2014/Sep/05/fairtrade-unjust-movement-serves-rich
I still buy Fair Trade but there are other ethical systems that may be better.
This may be a better way to do it but if corporates could be trusted to behave ethically, Fair Trade would not be necessary.

devongirl Mon 26-Jun-17 11:09:58

Not only that, since the takeover they're producing all sorts of horrible things like combining chocolate and ritz crackers!!

yggdrasil Mon 26-Jun-17 11:02:13

Cadbury's was taken over by Kraft in 2010. Look it up if you want to see everything bad that means, not just taste, but workers :-(

sluttygran Mon 26-Jun-17 10:50:11

The Cadbury family were historically great philanthropists - I wonder what they would think of this?
I don't know what's happened to their chocolate, anyway- the formula seems to have changed and it tastes awful. Maybe it's the sour taste of unfair trading!

Teetime Mon 26-Jun-17 09:14:08

I see Cadbury is not going to buy Fairtrade cocoa beans any more and is going to have its own version of Fairtrade.

M0nica Mon 26-Jun-17 07:51:59

A Sainsbury's spokesman was interviewed on R4 last week. They were not convincing.

SueDonim Sun 25-Jun-17 16:06:27

I was very disappointed to read that yesterday. There is a Change petition somewhere, I believe, to protest against this move.

vampirequeen Sun 25-Jun-17 13:36:58

Agree with grannysue05. Vote with your feet and buy from somewhere else. The Coop does a nice Fairtrade instant coffee.

grannysue05 Sun 25-Jun-17 10:09:27

Hello Nandalot...Yes i agree that Sainsbury's is probably negotiating a better deal (for them!).
As far as I know the Fairtrade trademark is a recognised body that trades products from around the world to benefit the farmer/grower etc.
If Sainsburys is changing to what they call fairly traded tea, this probably means they will bargain for tea from anywhere. To the detriment of these very poor growers.
We can vote with our feet and buy our tea for shops that still do Fairtrade. angry

Nandalot Sun 25-Jun-17 10:01:21

AIBU reasonable to be dismayed that Sainsbury's is running a 'trial' of replacing its Fairtrade tea with fairly traded tea?
www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/jun/24/fairtrade-crashing-down-sainsburys-tesco-tea-growers-nairobi
Why change such a recognised trademark and a system that is working so well? Cynically, I feel that this is to give them more economic wiggle room and I worry that the farmers were receive less.