Gransnet forums

AIBU

CAPCHA

(25 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 02-Jul-17 07:44:41

Does anyone else find these pattern recognition checks often used before submitting online comments annoying. I cannot understand the reason they are needed and sometimes they are almost unreadable despite repeated requests for new patterns.

They just make me cross and I cannot see what good they do.

Can anyone give me a reason in favour of them?

whitewave Sun 02-Jul-17 07:47:13

? Excuse my ignorance but I haven't a clue what you mean smile

Christinefrance Sun 02-Jul-17 07:54:01

Yes they are often difficult to read and quite frustrating.

Welshwife Sun 02-Jul-17 07:55:25

Do you mean those letters and numbers in a funny pattern you need to decipher and print 'in the box below' to prove you are a real person?

whitewave Sun 02-Jul-17 07:58:37

I'm getting more and more confused confused

Marydoll Sun 02-Jul-17 08:05:39

I keep getting them wrong and get so frustrated.

ninathenana Sun 02-Jul-17 08:06:19

I hate the pesky things.
That's if they're what Welshwife says smile
They are as has been said to prove a human not a computer is filling in the details

Grannyknot Sun 02-Jul-17 08:09:37

They prevent fraud and stop hackers so I will happily do them, it's a bit of a challenge sometimes, that's all, think of it like a game. Keep calm and captcha! smile

Cindersdad Sun 02-Jul-17 08:10:13

Welshwife that is what I mean. I hadn't thought of the real person angle which I suppose could justify them to some extent.

ninathenana Sun 02-Jul-17 08:12:53

Sorry to be pedantic it's CAPTCHA smile

BlueBelle Sun 02-Jul-17 08:16:03

They always tell me i ve got it wrong even when I know I ve got it right they are awful and I ve given up sometimes Very very frustrating sometimes a letter like I could be a number 1 or even a small L I always end up tearing my hair out

whitewave Sun 02-Jul-17 09:22:52

Oh now I get it!!! Honestly I thought you were talking about posts onto heregrin

Stansgran Sun 02-Jul-17 09:38:08

You live and learn on Gransnet . I had no idea it was called anything except one of those stupid thingummys.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 09:42:44

I don't have the best of eyesight and it's a real struggle to decipher them. I never get it right and have to have several stabs at it and then panic that I'll get locked out.

Grannyknot Sun 02-Jul-17 09:48:37

You can usually hit a button so that you can hear it (audio) instead of reading it and trying to decipher it on screen.

They're actually very important, if we had to do a Captcha (think "capture") to register for Gransnet, there'd probably be less spam.

Nannarose Sun 02-Jul-17 10:01:04

There is usually an audio, and on most good sites, there's some sort of 'contact', you can let them know if you have problems and thy will 'register' your IP address.
I did this once when I wanted to access the forum of a charity I was active in, and just couldn't seem to see the thing correctly.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Jul-17 10:04:48

I can understand it's use but I don't understand why it's made so decipherable
If you had to do it on GN Grannyknot you probably wouldn't get anyone on here that's interesting as I don't get any spam on GN what do you get then ?

Elegran Sun 02-Jul-17 10:41:54

Well, the reason they are so complicated is so that a robot artificial intelligence searching automatically for them, so as to send spam and/or hack into the site, will be unable to recognise the characters and will move on to easier meat - like the people whose password is 1234567890.

It takes a humean being to figure out what it is meant to say. If it was easy, it wouldn't work.

Elegran Sun 02-Jul-17 10:43:29

Have you never spotted a spam post on GNHQ, blubell ?

Elegran Sun 02-Jul-17 10:44:13

GN, not GNHQ.

Grannyknot Sun 02-Jul-17 10:54:44

bluebelle it's made difficult to decipher so a robot can't crack it smile.

're spam on GN, it's an option to tick as to why a post is being reported. I rest my case.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Jul-17 10:58:26

I know that Grannyknot of course, but when humans can't decipher it (as a lot on here have expressed) surely it's not so useful

BlueBelle Sun 02-Jul-17 11:01:10

Spam I once reported someone who was advertising selling something otherwise no, perhaps they have been removed before I see them or I m blind or daft

Elegran Sun 02-Jul-17 11:07:25

The first person to recognise spam reports it and it is removed, so sometimes they vanish PDQ.

Synonymous Fri 07-Jul-17 14:17:29

I became so frustrated with the wretched thing on one site that I complained. I received a kind reply saying that they are trying to find something better to beat the 'cheats' which should arrive in the next few weeks. I may well lose the will to live before that happens so I am keeping off ayything which uses those just in case!
I saw that someone else further up said that even though you absolutely know you got it right it still does not accept it and let you through. And when it patronizes you after that with a 'Please try again' I could become incandescent so not good for the blood pressure!