Gransnet forums

AIBU

Had my birthday yesterday

(94 Posts)
Emsgran Sun 02-Jul-17 22:04:11

got two messages, how sad is that?

Kim19 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:21:28

This has been a prompt for me on the 'could do better' theme. Sometimes, when I look at the date, I remember - oh, it is 'so and so's' birthday. I often follow the thought up with a quick text and that's it. However, some of us who are older still seem to enjoy a card. Maybe I will reconsider....... Have been cutting back on cards of late mostly because of postal charges but also because I seldom see the individuals in question. If they're worth a happy thought should I be putting my money where my memory is? Pondering............

wot Mon 03-Jul-17 12:23:59

Happy belated Birthday ? xxx

wot Mon 03-Jul-17 12:25:35

Cards mean a lot to me and I have them up for a week!

Mauriherb Mon 03-Jul-17 12:33:43

Happy belated birthday ? . We don't usually get a post delivery on Saturday so maybe you will get another card or two today. You've got lots of good wishes on here which I hope has helped. X

DanniRae Mon 03-Jul-17 12:34:01

We always have our birthday cards on the window sill in the living room - and I keep them up for a week too! The ones that I received on Saturday are so pretty and I am enjoying looking up and seeing them there.

Marieeliz Mon 03-Jul-17 12:39:40

Happy birthday Emsgran. I am in a similar situation. No relations and just a couple of friends. Came home from holiday with a bug, my friend, who I went away with, also caught the bug and received 4 get well cards and a bunch of flowers, as well as a bottle of Tonic. Felt really alone. I was delighted though when a friend of my brother's rang me last week, 29th on the Anniversary of his death 7 years ago, as she was thinking about me.

Nandalot Mon 03-Jul-17 12:47:18

Happy belated birthday Emsgran and DanniRae

shysal Mon 03-Jul-17 12:59:32

Congratulations Emsgran for coaxing some non-posters onto your thread. Welcome to the first-timers! flowers

Horatia Mon 03-Jul-17 13:17:46

Happy Birthday Emsgran.

Legs55 Mon 03-Jul-17 13:34:05

Belated Happy Birthday Emsgrancupcakeflowers

I am lucky that I have family & a few friends who do send cards. Saddest Birthday I had was 5 months after DH died, day was going to be spent on my own so I decided to visit a National Trust property I'd wanted to go to for some time, treated myself to Lunch, I had a lovely day out.

I moved to a new area just over 2 years ago & have lovely neighbours, I've also joined a couple of Meet Up groups. On my Birthday this year a few of us are going out for Lunch & a visit to a Tourist Attraction.

As long as my family remember I'm happy, this year we're having Lunch at my house a few days before my Birthday, won't see DM until next month but I will get a card.

pinkjj27 Mon 03-Jul-17 13:43:00

I was born on Christmas day I never did get a gift or a part as a child just one gift with happy birthday and happy Christmas written on it was largely ignored. No one ever remembers it now. My late husband always did but he passed away.But on the positive side it makes it easier to lie about your age.
Have a very Happy Birthday. I tried to add a cake but it didn't work

pinkjj27 Mon 03-Jul-17 13:43:32

I mean party dam spell check

Jennylynn Mon 03-Jul-17 13:50:45

A very Happy Birthday to you Emsgran. That's two more than I get ?

henetha Mon 03-Jul-17 14:11:23

That is a bit sad. I wish you a belated happy birthday and hope in the interim you have received many more nice messages. Maybe treat yourself to something nice?
You are worth it!

Juney64 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:34:21

Happy Birthday for yesterday Emsgran and DanniRae. As others have said - treat yourself to something nice. You'll know better than anyone what gift you'd like. ?

I live in the south too Parkway1. Bournemouth to be precise. Anyone else from Bournemouth?

Juney64 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:35:25

Meant to add this

silverlining48 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:37:26

Happy birthday emsgran and dannierae, sending all my good wishes. I had my birthday last weekend and noticed a few old friends did not send a card. I like to think i have been remembered so was a little sad, especially as this year has been a difficult one, but as postage usnt cheap these days i do understand.
I have had to take them down as my husbands get well cards are taking the space on the mantlepiece.
So give yourself a treat, eat cake and remember we will be never so young as we are today.
My very good wishes to everyone.

VIOLETTE Mon 03-Jul-17 14:39:26

Have a happy next day birthday ! I think when you get older people think its ok to forget !! I just get three cards ..two from friends from school I have known since I was 5, and one from my brother. My husband always forgets (he remembers his late wife's birthday and never fails to tell me !) ......On my 60 th I wanted to go to a dinner and dance ...he said you can go on your own (I didn't !) ......

This year I shall be 70 ,,,,would love to go on holiday or at least out some where, but I know I won't, unless I take myself off to lunch somewhere nice (which I do sometimes !)

But hey ho ! that's life !!!!

I hope you will find something nice to treat yourself to .....flowers [cake]

FlorenceFlower Mon 03-Jul-17 15:07:41

Happy birthday to EVERYONE especially Emmsgran, Dannirae, Silverlining, pinkjj27 and Violette ..... hope you all get plenty more birthday wishes too. I'm very guilty of texting or Facebooking, and after reading these posts, will make sure I send more cards. flowers

radicalnan Mon 03-Jul-17 15:14:24

I am near Glastonbury if that is any use to anyone else.

Happy birthday to you two ladies hope you both had lovely days, cards are so expensive now it seems FB is the way to go.

DanniRae Mon 03-Jul-17 15:19:36

Those flowers are beautiful Florence! Are they in your garden?

pinkjj27 Mon 03-Jul-17 15:35:55

Thank you Florence Flowers those flowers are lovely and make up for all the missed cards but you don't miss what you never had but you know what I mean.

Kim19 Mon 03-Jul-17 16:06:26

Violette, if you are willing to divulge your birthday date and your nearest accessible large town, I'm sure someone here would love to help you celebrate. ANY excuse but proximity is king, of course.

GrannyO Mon 03-Jul-17 16:19:26

Happy Birthday Emsgram, I suggest you have an 'official' birthday. go out and buy some presents for yourself, and phone out for a takeaway for your tea. A bottle of prosecco, perhaps?

catwoman Mon 03-Jul-17 17:02:21

Happy Birthday for yesterday Emsgran. Have you put the date of your birthday on your profile? I get a daily update for all people on my friends list that have entered the info when it is their birthday. I missed a good friends a few days ago as she still had written on her profile" if you want to know birthday then ask!! " cards are deffinately being superceded by a txt msg or a f/b greeting. X