Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rehousing issue for Grenfell Towers survivors

(597 Posts)
Christinefrance Wed 05-Jul-17 13:00:13

I don't understand why many of the families are refusing the temporary housing they are being offered. One family was on TV saying how unhappy they were in their hotel but had turned down the offer of a flat. Of course they are still shocked and coming to terms with things but I would have thought it would be easier to move on in a place of your own rather than a hotel.

Primrose65 Mon 31-Jul-17 17:26:22

I try and give people the benefit of the doubt, which usually goes quite quickly on these forums when people start calling me old, stupid, a spoof poster or any number of other insults.

I read that people may be disheartened if they think they will have to wait longer. Yes, some of them might be. I read that they may be interested in flats that are rejected. Yes, some of them might be. Are some people in temporary accommodation less than happy that they're not the top of the list anymore? Yes, some of them might be.
They might not be understanding. This doesn't make them bad people. It makes them human beings in crisis.
What would you say to a single mum who's in temporary accommodation? Stop moaning, at least you were not in Grenfell?

Ana Mon 31-Jul-17 17:26:41

www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_enGB402GB402&q=grenfell+survivors+commit+suicide

At least 20 suicide attempts, one successful apparently.

mostlyharmless Mon 31-Jul-17 17:28:55

Grenfell suicides:
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/20-suicide-attempts-grenfell-tower-fire-kensington-council-meeting-a7862096.html

Ana Mon 31-Jul-17 17:29:11

Perhaps you should check your sources, mostlyharmless.

Ana Mon 31-Jul-17 17:30:21

Yes, 'attempts' being the operative word.

mostlyharmless Mon 31-Jul-17 17:30:45

Sorry -crossed posts.

Baggs Mon 31-Jul-17 17:31:55

It does seem that property law, some of it a long way from ideal, is at least some of what is getting in the way of empty homes bring used for Grenfell survivors. I guess it can't be changed overnight even with the best will in the world.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 17:32:18

I've just read that 14 councillors on Kensington and Chelsea council are property developers.

mostlyharmless Mon 31-Jul-17 17:38:45

There are reports on Twitter of four suicides recently. Can't be sure how accurate the figures are obviously as there are allegations that suicide figures are being hushed up Ana.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 18:07:45

As are the figures of those who died in the fire.

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 19:49:19

Paranoia seems to be the order of the day!
There is no cover up on anything.

Ilovecheese Mon 31-Jul-17 19:56:22

I was thinking about the empty luxury properties and I bet that some of the people that own them don't even know that they own them, they will just be part of an investment portfolio being managed for them.
So the owners never really got the chance to do the decent thing and let somebody else live in them for a year or so.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:04:01

Roses, how can you claim that?
Do you know lots of things that the enquiry doesn't yet know?
Or do you just shut your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears?

Why are the police saying that they have reason to suspect that there was corporate manslaughter?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/31/grenfell-fire-inquiry-may-have-to-suspend-work-if-cps-brings-charges

Where will this leave the people who have yet to be properly housed?

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:07:10

That's a point, Ilovecheese.
However, if I knew my company had property in London, I think I would find out if I had any feelings for these people.
I'd be surprised if those people in Qatar did not keep an eye on UK news at the moment, particularly with Brexit.

Lots of empty houses are owned by the Cadogan Estate, which is nominally British.

Ilovecheese Mon 31-Jul-17 20:13:10

I think the people managing the portfolios would feel that their loyalties would lie with their clients.

Didn't know that about the Cadogan Estate. I suppose I just assumed most of them were owned by people abroad, Qatar, China etc.

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 20:13:40

Why would there be any cover up on numbers killed in the fire?
Ditto that for suicides, in any case you cannot 'cover up' suicides in this country.

Believing conspiracy theories about this is crazy.

Primrose65 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:15:57

www.standard.co.uk/news/london/grenfell-tower-fire-12yearold-girl-and-stillborn-baby-latest-to-be-identified-as-victims-of-tragedy-a3600641.html

there are allegations that suicide figures are being hushed up Ana.
durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 18:07:45
As are the figures of those who died in the fire.

How can you claim there's a cover up when the coroner is still working on identification? The press has reported estimates, that's all. No one knows the answer yet, even the conspiracy theorists.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:18:56

I don't think we will ever know for sure exactly how many people were killed that night, people may have been visiting who have not been reported missing for whatever reason, or not The authorities are still working in very dangerous conditions and there is absolutely no reason why the numbers should be hushed up - why should they be?

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:42:53

Kensington and Chelsea council lists the block as containing 120 flats. It was built in 1974 and was thought to house 400-550 people.

If nobody knows how many people there were in the flats that night, there's ample room for a cover-up.
The people in Grenfell said they had told the council that they were worried about fire over five years ago.
The man who is now deputy on the council, who was on the housing committee, denies ever knowing about it.
Cover-up.

www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/heres-how-legal-experts-say-the-grenfell-inquiry-can-avoid

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 20:47:18

What I ( and other posters) are saying is why should there be any cover up about the numbers of dead? For what purpose?
Identifying remains must be a hugely difficult task.
Being influenced by conspiracy theories on social media is daft.

Baggs Mon 31-Jul-17 21:00:49

If nobody knows how many people in total were in the flats on the night of the fire, then nobody will know how many died even, possibly after as much searching for clues as can be done has been done and even supposing more information comes forward about missing people who might have been in the tower. That is not cover up; it is simply not knowing.

Everything I've read so far has specified "at least". This suggests that it is expected there will be more in the final toll but nobody knows who yet. That's not cover up either; it's simply not knowing.

Elegran Mon 31-Jul-17 21:25:34

What exactly do people think is being covered up when it is said that no-one knows for sure how many people died? For each death and each individual who lost family or friends it is equally horrific and that adds up, but that it happened at all is no more blameworthy if the real toll is say another 10% on top of the high number that has been ascertained. The blame is for the sins of omission and commission that led up to the uncontrollable fire. Those sins are equally heinous whatever the numbers involved, and cannot be covered up.

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 21:28:49

Exactly, Elegran

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 21:55:17

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/31/grenfell-vulnerable-people-women-domestic-violence-refuge

FarNorth Mon 31-Jul-17 22:20:16

It's horrifying that people were made to stay in that building, dj. Also the callous way they were treated.