Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to not want to floss in the lounge?!

(68 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 06-Jul-17 10:18:17

The last time I went for a "scale and polish" (6 months ago) - the dental hygienist at the practice gave me a lecture instructed me to buy a rainbow range of colours of those interdental brushes, and drew a diagram of what colour to use on which expensive food traps made by previous dentists gaps between my teeth - and when I protested saying I'll never remember that nor keep that up she replied Oh, it's not a big deal, you can do it in front of the TV at night to which I responded I don't think my husband would be impressed.

So all that she achieved is to have put me off going back to her. But I like the dentist! What do do. I hasten to add that my teeth are very clean and well looked after! I was brought up to look after my teeth and my feet "because you'll need them most when you're old" grin

Surely a professional shouldn't be advising people to floss in the lounge?! shock

RockNanny Sat 08-Jul-17 17:48:29

Jalima1108 Hahahaha!

Ph-tooo PING!

grin

whitewave Sat 08-Jul-17 17:50:57

devon I use every gadget known to man as well as mouth wash that blows the top,of my head off on a regular basis grin

I use baby steriliser liquid to clean all my brushes.

devongirl Sat 08-Jul-17 18:49:47

I used to regularly put tooth brushing stuff in the dishwasher when I had one (sigh - those were the days!)

Genevieve489 Sun 09-Jul-17 08:51:29

Interested in people's views of water flossers. I've just changed dentists and the first thing he said was I had 'mild gum disease'! This is something I've struggled with for years and I floss every day using both brushes and floss picks. May I ask what brand of water or air flosser others have found useful?

1moleta3 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:18:16

Although, luckily, I still possess all my teeth, I regularly use a steradent type tablet for a weekly soak of toothbrushes and interdental brushes ( if they have not become too kinked and still serviceable) then pour off the liquid down the loo to work its magic there overnight. I do rinse off the brushes!

jacalpad Sun 09-Jul-17 09:20:36

I have never heard of water flossers! Could they be used by someone with sensitive teeth?

Elrel Sun 09-Jul-17 09:21:56

I lost faith in my dental practice when they started offering Botox. Twice 'their computer' sent mailings about it to GD aged 15.
I felt belittled by their bright young hygienist who, asked what I should use for a stained dental plate, raised her eyebrows and said 'Have you ever heard of Steradent?' Cheeky madam, the plate had been soaked nightly in water with 2 tablets added and still showed red wine/coffee stains.
Although I have a grand total of 13 teeth they managed to sell me 2 sizes of tepees.

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Jul-17 09:32:09

Never having heard of water flossers I just Googled it and Oral Irrigators came up! Should one use ones oral irrigator in ones lounge?

Aepgirl Sun 09-Jul-17 09:34:52

I got so sick of the lectures from my hygienist that I said to her 'if everybody used brushes/floss/and other such expensive bits and bobs, she would be out of a job'. It seems to have done the trick as she just gets on and cleans my, already spotless, teeth now.

jangeo44 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:42:50

I use Sonicare flosser, but put mouthwash in instead of plain water - I read this in an article written by a dentist so have followed suit. Also use oral b flossing rape which has a fine plastic end which is designed to clean under and between bridge.

Disgruntled Sun 09-Jul-17 09:45:30

I use coconut oil or olive oil for oil pulling. It's brilliant. You swish some around until it changes consistency then spit it into a bin (or bowl or something, just not down the drains). It collects the bacteria and gets rid of it. My dentist commented when I first started. Before that I used to have dreaded gum pockets - yeuk.

devongirl Sun 09-Jul-17 09:55:32

That's interesting disgruntled - never heard of it - sounds worth a try smile

Disgruntled Sun 09-Jul-17 10:03:53

It is BRILLIANT. I always do something else while I'm doing it - emails, usually, so I don't think about it, and I clean my teeth as usual afterwards. Been a saving grace for me. I used to dread going to the dentist but now I feel quite blase about it. It's an ancient Ayurvedic practice.

devongirl Sun 09-Jul-17 10:07:29

Just googled it. A bit concerned I might not enjoy srirling oil around my mouth for 20 mins! but will give it a go anyway smile

CassieJ Sun 09-Jul-17 10:59:02

I use WaterPik water flosser. This tends to get the best reviews. It's rechargeable, so saves on batteries. It holds it's charge for over a week.

NanaRayna Sun 09-Jul-17 11:06:05

Just hope the phone doesn't ring while you're thus occupied!wink

NanaRayna Sun 09-Jul-17 11:06:49

That was meant for devongirl

JanaNana Sun 09-Jul-17 11:33:56

Our dentist recommended those coloured interdental brushes to me and my husband and we both use them daily. The colours are the different sizes to go between different gaps in your teeth and help to get rid of plaque better than ordinary dental floss does. We were told to use them once a day straight after brushing our teeth in a morning. It takes just a few minutes only. It is completely different to using dental floss which our dentist shook his head at. You can buy these brushes at some supermarkets as well but initially get them from your dentist as they tell you the correct sizes needed to use to suit your teeth. As a result of using these we are now just having 9 months check ups instead of 6 and no longer need to see a hygenist as the brushes have made a lot of difference.

Cosafina Sun 09-Jul-17 11:34:37

I've been using interdental brushes for over 15 years, as instructed by Guy's Dental hospital, and do it while watching TV. I was told that between the flossing and the interdentals and the brushing etc it should take me 15 mins to clean my teeth at night, of which 4 mins is brushing.
I don't find flossing my teeth interesting enough to do it without the TV or something. I live alone, but guests have to endure it when they come to stay.

Victoria08 Sun 09-Jul-17 11:41:35

Your hygienist or dentist should advise which colour brushes to use for different gaps in teeth.

But at £3.50 a pack I reuse mine as much as I can.

I also get asked if I floss etc.

It is a good idea to use these brushes as flossing alone won't remove all the debris.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 09-Jul-17 11:42:00

Grannyknot. You are far to sensitive. I would have had to say to the dentist 'do you recommend any particular programme?
I wish my grumpy old man of a dentist was as friendly as yours. Do your flossing in the bathroom if privacy is the issue. Are there any hard and fast rules?

Grannyknot Sun 09-Jul-17 11:57:00

sarahellen smile no there aren't any hard and fast rules. But I'm definitely not going to stand in the bathroom for 15 minutes fiddling with different coloured brushes whilst referring to a colour-coded diagram either, life's too short.

Re the coconut oil, I wrote about coconut oil on these forums a while ago and someone said about the "oil pulling" - I've done that ever since, when I remember (but not for 20 minutes, just until it changes consistency) and it is brilliant, for some reason it makes one's mouth feel very clean. Plus I am certain that it is whitening my teeth.

Heckter Sun 09-Jul-17 13:02:12

Is it something to do with our age that these young things think it's fine to give us patronising lectures?! They could just suggest to us, like normal people, of the latest helpful ideas ......

My teeth hygiene routine developed over years of suggestions is as follows. Brush teeth before breakfast, 2 minutes, or more, without brushing too hard, with electric toothbrush. Forget using a circling motion on each tooth ......! Any sugars eaten at breakfast are already eroding the dentine and brushing after increases the erosion. So I use the interdental brushes, in the bathroom, after breakfast to remove the remains, and just rinse off the interdental brushes. I then use a plastic tongue scraper ever since I suffered a mouth infection - not nice.

Before bed I use dental tape before brushing my teeth. The interdental brushes don't slide through the top ends of the adjoining teeth, whereas the tape does. And finish with a tongue scrape.

Weekly I soak the toothbrushes, interdental brushes and tongue scraper in a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide (obtainable at pharmacies), and all sorts of bits float away as the peroxide fizzes. Some time ago we are told that we should not use toothbrushes for more than 3 months in case of some bacterial infection that could infect the heart. Just in case my toothbrush lasts more than three months, as well as the rest of the bits and pieces, I hope the relevant bacteria are killed off in the peroxide solution.

Mouthwash has been recommended, but they set my mouth afire, except one flavourless one (can't remember its name)which costs a ridiculous amount, so not used except when infection/gum disease threaten. Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a mouthwash, but even a weak solution sets my mouth zinging too much.

Despite lack of mouthwash, no false teeth and my dentist gives a very occasional brief scrape of accumulated tartar - that is what flossing and interdental brushes have achieved, through efficient mouth hygiene. And nowadays we are all persuaded to have bridges and implants, not available on the NHS, instead of false teeth which presumably still are, at less cost.

Lewlew Sun 09-Jul-17 13:47:04

Grannyknot Thu 06-Jul-17 10:18:17 As others have said, it's the latest thingy. We go every year and this is the first time I have been told of them. I cannot floss properly with stiff fingers and 'tight teeth'. I have very little plaque and use a sonic battery brush, so I just am honest and say I don't get on with the brushes at my gum line as they hurt. I actually have good teeth in spite of now having two cracked molars and having crown work. (ugh).

They are given guidelines... it's up to you whether to do it or not. I am considering getting what used to be called a Water-Pik if it will help. More gentle!

moobox Sun 09-Jul-17 14:35:01

Me too! I think they are obsessed with them