Gransnet forums

AIBU

offer withdrawn

(27 Posts)
Tizliz Fri 21-Jul-17 11:59:25

My OH has a 'den' which REALLY needs sorting out. Three times over the past few months I have offered to help but nothing has happened. This morning he said "We will sort it out this weekend" my reply was 'We?" him "you did offer" me "that was months ago, the offer is withdrawn". His face was priceless. I know I will give in but how long should I hold out for? grin

jimmyRFU Mon 24-Jul-17 14:48:24

I am the one who usually ends up sorting and tidying. Did my dad's shed on Sunday. Had our kids camping gear and car parts in. Now its got so much space. Makes a difference when everything is on shelves and in boxes. Rather than someone standing at the door and lobbing whatever it is in. We have our garage to tackle some time, then there's DH's wardrobe, mine, the lodger son and his partner. My!!! I love a good tidy.

Tizliz Sat 22-Jul-17 15:53:15

No tidying up will happen today as we have been at the rifle range all morning and now he is off to his mate's to sort out a problem.

This is only supposed to be light hearted and he knows full well that I will help him, after all he has to clean my rifle ?

Sheilasue Sat 22-Jul-17 12:42:30

Keep asking my gd to clear out her room, have papers and books piled up from her GCSEs exams. Need throwing out. Old clothes etc. Offered to help but she keeps saying I will do it next week!!!! Been off since the end of June. I could scream

win Sat 22-Jul-17 12:06:44

This is perfect for a hubby room, can't believe the she shed it not already tidy, I am sure it is not bad, get it done together and enjoy a bottle of wine after the result.
I too was married for 47 years. How I miss him

Aepgirl Sat 22-Jul-17 12:06:25

Get on and help him clear his den. Perhaps then you will find out how enjoyable it is to do something like this - the very thing I miss now I am on my own.

Marydoll Sat 22-Jul-17 11:24:18

I would absolutely love that in my craft room. envy What a talented husband you have.

W11girl Sat 22-Jul-17 10:30:31

Are you sure you haven't stolen my husband! Its exactly what he has been saying and not doing for months!! I was happy to "go in" and clear it, but he just would not let me! He is as happy as a sandboy now in his liberated space...I check everyday and sneekily put things back in place...he hasn't noticed yet!! Ha ha!

glammanana Sat 22-Jul-17 09:58:53

What a fabulous workbench it could be used for all manner of things indoors I want one.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Jul-17 09:58:48

I will not show that workbench to DH!! He would suffer envy and yes, I wouldn't mind it in my kitchen too!
DH's looks like a very old and battered kitchen - it is all built in with leftovers from other's people's kitchens when they changed theirs (all matching though) and old worktop.

JoyBloggs Sat 22-Jul-17 09:49:53

I never thought I'd ever envy a workbench so much, but wow! envy So many more crafts I could dabble in waste my time on.

bikergran Sat 22-Jul-17 09:48:56

take him a cup of brew and a cupcake and ask "would you like me to give you a hand" smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 22-Jul-17 09:24:50

That is the most beautiful workbench that I have ever seen.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Jul-17 06:26:09

Take off the vices and that work bench would be so much nicer in your kitchen. The shelf is perfect for pans - and all those drawers! It's wasted as a work bench.

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Jul-17 00:46:06

Oh my, that bench wouldn't be out of place in the home. Love it.

Cherrytree59 Fri 21-Jul-17 18:15:09

Tizliz I have work bench envy
This is not unusual as I have garage envy also
My next door neighbours
White walls, painted floor all neat and tidy.
envy

Tizliz Fri 21-Jul-17 17:52:12

As it is not his business I can post a photo of his work bench

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 16:10:59

LOL, you are ... I do sense a deal ...

Tizliz Fri 21-Jul-17 15:25:13

But it doesn't matter to me if it doesn't get done as I refuse to go in there. On the other hand he has bought a hand held Dyson which I am envious of - I think a little deal can be made here.

Our DIL is very envious of the bench he built himself (he is a trained cabinet maker) but can't understand why our kitchen isn't to the same standard. I am very tolerant.

cornergran Fri 21-Jul-17 13:45:01

I wouldn't leave him too long tizliz, just enough to be gracious in surrender, who knows what he might do? grin.

ninathenana Fri 21-Jul-17 13:36:54

I agree with yddgrasil give him an hour or two after he's made a start.

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:36:36

Exactly! grin

I am a second-time-arounder ... only three years into married life, but able to enjoy this ease of banter which was missing for first time around. (He thinks he is boss!)
smile smile smile

Tizliz Fri 21-Jul-17 13:29:27

Imperfect27 47 years this summer

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 12:41:21

Tee hee TizLiz ...for as long as you think it works for you ! Never hurts to have a tease that is also a gentle reminder that they have taken something for granted - then they are that little bit more grateful when we do what ever it is that is wanted. Must be worth a little favour in return. When it is in the spirit of loving good humour, this to me is the stuff that makes marriage tick along very nicely grin.

yggdrasil Fri 21-Jul-17 12:23:18

At least until he has made a start alone wink

wilygran Fri 21-Jul-17 12:22:54

Don't leave it too long. It could be used as a permanent reason/excuse not to tackle it!